Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should govts that dishonour election promises to rec fishers be returned?

Should govts that dishonour election promises to rec fishers be returned?

The Bligh Government failed to act on a 2009 election promise to stop commercial fishers harvesting table fish from bait nets in yellow zones. And now, on Friday 9th December, with another election due soon they reannounced the same promise again. Is this good enough?

Labor MP for Pumicestone, Carryn Sullivan said in her media release dated March 2009:

"State Member for Pumicestone, Carryn Sullivan said a re-elected Bligh Labor Government will ban commercial bait net fishers from taking fish caught as by-catch in yellow zones in Moreton Bay."

"Currently licensed bait fishers are selling by-catch such as bream, whiting and flathead to the fresh fish market instead of returning them to the bay. This is not on. If re-elected, we'll be regulating to ensure that it doesn't continue."

Almost 3 years later, after forgetting their promise, they expect rec fishers to believe them when they promise it yet again.

Questions:
    1. Should the Bligh Labor govt have kept its promise to rec fishers?
    2. Can Labor MPs be trusted to look after rec fishers interests in the next parliament?
    3. What do you think of the banning of by-catch sale?
    4. Should commercial netters be compensated for their losses?

Regards,
    Mark

Re: Should govts that dishonour election promises to rec fishers be returned?

Look whose come out of the woodwork to promote his propaganda

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Webby, I would be interested in your views on Qs 1-4 if you wish?

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    It is leading up to an election Webby, for both the Labor and LNP parties, means we have propaganda from both sides to decypher and disregard as election promises and soon to be fables or myth. Neither party tells the truth as it lays.
    Jack.

.1. Yes

.2. No

.3. Good

.4. No

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    .1. Yes

.2. No

.3. Good

.4. No

LP
    +1 on that

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Questions:
    1. Should the Bligh Labor govt have kept its promise to rec fishers?
    Isn't it in from next week? I thought the the licenced bait netters of Moreton Bay got their letters last Fri.

2. Can Labor MPs be trusted to look after rec fishers interests in the next parliament?
    I doubt it, but going by the actions of Coalition Governments around the country Labor arn't on their Pat Malone.

3. What do you think of the banning of by-catch sale?
    A hard one, I wouldn't want to see bi-catch fish dumped, what would the survival rate be like for the released fish? perhaps a hugely reduced min bi-catch quota, I don't know what to do with this one.

4. Should commercial netters be compensated for their losses?
    No, there's plenty of people who lose some of their income due to Gov decisions and they're not compensated, besides they're licenced bait netters not professional bi-catch sellers arn't they?

Regards,
    Mark
    ...........This is just the sort of thing you should be doing more often Mark, the questions to the fishos I mean, not the cheap shot.
    cheers

One easy way to have governments serve one term, they all end up being so bent they have to screw their socks on

1. yes
    2. no
    3. bycatch should continue to be allowed to be sold, however good management should be ensuring that bycatch species stays as bycatch and doesn't become a target
    4. yes

now i have a request for you mark.

please answer your own 4 questions, on here, on behalf of the LNP. you've asked us to indicate our view on these 4 issues, now repay our faith and indicate the LNP position.

Agree with all you said Mike.

Mark is it true that this will come into effect this week as Mike has suggested in his answer to question 1?

If so you are showing yourself to be decietful and opportunistic (in other words just another typical pollie) and have just dropped down a peg in my book.

Just ban netting in Moreton Bay ! - problem solved ..............
    The mortality rate of bycatch would be pretty high - ....... so just chucking the bycatch overboard wont exactly achieve a great deal!

Now this is the LNPs chance to make a difference ........ ban all netting in the bay & do some real good ( I can hear the screams now!)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    1. yes
    2. no
    3. bycatch should continue to be allowed to be sold, however good management should be ensuring that bycatch species stays as bycatch and doesn't become a target
    4. yes

please answer your own 4 questions, on here, on behalf of the LNP. you've asked us to indicate our view on these 4 issues, now repay our faith and indicate the LNP position.
    Can I add a 5th &6th question for you MP MarK ,I've asked you this here a couple of times but you may have missed it,
    When elected, will the LNP remove the freshwater SIP? and, will it be replaced with a general salt and freshwater rec fishing licence.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Just ban netting in Moreton Bay ! - problem solved ..............
    The mortality rate of bycatch would be pretty high - ....... so just chucking the bycatch overboard wont exactly achieve a great deal!

Now this is the LNPs chance to make a difference ........ ban all netting in the bay & do some real good ( I can hear the screams now!)

Chris
    Good call Nagg

Exclamation Re: Should govts that dishonour election promises to rec fishers be returned?

ONLY the RFL part Mike ,in the dislike

Groundhog Day ....wa/vic & nsw HAVE RFL's , wa has mutiple RFL's , & kids under 16 in wa PAY HALF-PRICE & every boat-owner pays $30 to fish from their boat as an extra "cost"

fmd,fmd.....no way !! , in any Saltwater form or "extra" charge in QLD
    p.s. the SIP=STOCKED impoundments = 110% concept support from Gazza

Timi , please send Mark an sms if he's "too busy" to read this LOL

please answer your own 4 questions, on here, on behalf of the LNP. you've asked us to indicate our view on these 4 issues, now repay our faith and indicate the LNP position.[/QUOTE]

You are kidding right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Every politician should honour every election promise they make otherwise they should be strung up and publicly flogged.
    They get voted in on their promises why shouldn't they be made to keep them??

Lying bunch of snivelling two faced hypocrites they are.

Show me one politician who has not broken an election promise and I'll show you a politician who has never made an election promise.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good