Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should govts that dishonour election promises to rec fishers be returned?

Re: Should govts that dishonour election promises to rec fishers be returned?

Can any govt be trusted to deliver on any promises. It's all a bunch of pissing in peoples pockets to make them feel warm and fuzzy, after that dies down your left with wet pants and a stench. Can't wait another MOG another re-shuffle of portfolios and the games all start again. The question should be why isn't anyone being held accountable to the public, the fat cats are getting massive pay rises for what? While the ministers all hide behind bligh and her web of lies. Hey pollies how about taking responsibility at your level than offering up senior management scalps. You know the saying sh!t doesn't roll up hill.

Dont know about you guys but i am looking forward to going back into my favourate fishing green zones spots with one line one hook as promised

Tell you what else

I am looking forward to seeing a state governemt not run by a pack of union scum

You guys need to look more closely at the rules before jumping up and down on pros,the yellow zone bait net by catch rule has been taken off the pros yet you still bash them check for yourself all the pros have been notified and no more whiting bream flathead and such can be taken now all you got to worry about is 20 rec boats in places like the council chambers fishing every night of the week taking whiting by the thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Macks forever: [B
    I have answered your questions Mark, now is time for you to answer mine:[/B] .
    1. Will the LNP keep its promises to rec fishers?
    YES. IT IS MY VIEW THAT POLLIES SHOULD PROMISE ONLY WHAT THEY KNOW THEY CAN DELIVER. SO WE WILL BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT WE COMMIT TO.
    2. Can the LNP be trusted to look after rec fishers interests in the next parliament? If the answer is yes please give specific examples. And what are you going to do about ongoing netting in yellow zones?
    YES WE CAN. AS A REC FISHER MYSELF FOR > 43 YEARS I AM COMMITTED TO ENDURING WE GET IT RIGHT AND DO THE RIGHT THING. I WILL ELABORATE WITH SPECIFICS WHEN AN ELECTION IS CALLED. NETTING IS AN ISSUE WE ARE AWARE OF AND SHARE THE CONCERNS OF MANY REC FISHERS.
    3. What do you think of the banning of by-catch sale?
    If you continue to allow sale of bycatch, will you change the rules to allow rec anglers keep fish they "think" might not survive release?
    THE GOVT WAS VERY SLOW TO HONOUR THEIR COMMITMENT FROM THE LAST ELECTION RE SALE OF BY-CATCH FROM NETTING. NO-ONE WANTS TO SEE THESE SPECIES TARGETTED. WHEREVER BY-CATCH FROM NETTING CAN BE RETURNED ALIVE THAT IS PREFERRED. WE HAVE NO PLANS TO OVERTURN THE RECENT DECISION.
    4. Should commercial netters be compensated for their losses? If so, under what circumstances?
    IT IS IMPORTANT THAT PRO FISHERS CAN OPERATE THEIR BUSINESSES IN A VIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE WAY. MANY PEOPLE WHO DON'T FISH RELY ON PROS FOR THEIR LOCAL FRESH SEAFOOD. THE ISSUE OF HOW MANY PRO LICENCES SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN CERTAIN AREAS AND STRUCTURAL ADJUSTMENT ARE COMPLEX ISSUES.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    1. Will the LNP keep its promises to rec fishers?
    YES. IT IS MY VIEW THAT POLLIES SHOULD PROMISE ONLY WHAT THEY KNOW THEY CAN DELIVER. SO WE WILL BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT WE COMMIT TO.
    Mark
    So does that mean the LNP will guarantee that everything that they say will happen will happen??
    YES...NO??

You've only mentioned your view. What is the view of the LNP??

Mark. You have to cross that hurdle. We (the people of QLD for this topic but also the people of Australia) have been lied to so often by politicians we have to assume anybody in power will lie to us. We assume that politicians will lie to us to get into power.
    We need a guarantee that the LNP will do everything that they have promised otherwise we will assume you are going to lie to us as well.

How many assume the same as myself??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Ah, but will they be lying to us when they promise not to lie to us or promise not to break promises? ;-)

I thanked Mark for his reply and I meant it. I thought some of the answers were a little side-steppish and did not really address my concerns and did not even really answer 2 questions with specifics, but he is still the only politician from either side to have the guts to talk to us, so I thank him for that.

+1 to your comments macks.

hi mark, i thank you for your response but also note that it doesn't necessarilly answer the questions properly or offer solutions to the problems, but hey that's politics.

In politics we only ever had one that was stupid enough to say exactly what she meant and was even naive enough to spell out the parties policies well before the election and the end result was even though she got 30% (or there abouts) of the popular vote all she got was the policies put under a microscope until they were either ridiculed in part or copied in part and she was persecuted and jailed.

Do we honestly think that politics does not involve adopting a position that is flexible enough to manoeuvre to suit the situation?

It is not in the interest of a party that has the balance of power to become unpopular with those that gave them this right, but at the moment we have a govt with the balance in the green lunatic bin and completely out of touch with the majority of us, combined with being both arrogant and incompetent. Too much time in power seems to have that effect on either party.

If policies and promises are to be defined closer to the election I believe the best position is to offer advice and get the best policies possible rather than just trash the people making those decisions.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    If policies and promises are to be defined closer to the election I believe the best position is to offer advice and get the best policies possible rather than just trash the people making those decisions.
    What's the point if we're lied to after someone has won an election??
    How many times have politicians from all sides of the big debate table blatantly lied to us??

We're had up for purgery if we lie in court. Why are politicians allowed to lie in parliament??
    Isn't parliament just as an important institution as our legal system is??

I'm a pretty simple person. My first decision is to decide who is going to lie to me and who isn't. The rest is dependent upon the answer to the first question.
    At the moment the only thing BOTH the major parties do is tell us porky pies.
    Whether it lies to cover their 'schemes' to return, or get to, power or the true state of our state or nation.
    Unemployment figures are a prime example of moving the goal posts. Unemployment figures are not getting better...the rules have just changed.
    What are the parameters to be statistically classed as fully employed now??
    It used to be working pretty close to an 8 hour day for 5 days a week.
    Here is an extract from a study done by the University of Wollongong. It's a bit dated (2004) but the scheme of things can be seen.
    The true state of affairs is not what the politicians want us to see.
    Approximately 28 per cent of employed Australians now habitually work less than 35 hours per week on all jobs, almost double the rate of part-time employment thirty years ago (ABS, 6203.0 and 6204.0). Under the OECD’s definition of part-time employment (30 or fewer hours usually worked per week in the main job) Australia’s part-time employment rate of 27.2 per cent in 2002 was almost double the OECD average of 14.3 per cent.
    http://www.business.curtin.edu.au/files/rodgers.pdf

Another utter disgrace is the CPI figure. How the bloody heel can CPI be 4. whatever %??

Another utter disgrace....politicians pay increases. How the bloody hell can an average of 22% pay increase for politicians be justified when other service sectors have to battle for even a CPI increase??
    A politician is just another public servant aren't they??

I hate the waffle politicians use. They always leave themselves an escape clause.
    Mark has displayed this quite well.
    Q: Will the LNP keep its promises to rec fishers?
    A: YES. IT IS MY VIEW THAT POLLIES SHOULD PROMISE ONLY WHAT THEY KNOW THEY CAN DELIVER

Yes LNP will keep all their policies or yes, it is Mark's view that pollies should promise only what they can deliver??
    That question should be answered in a YES or NO fashion. It's a simple question which deserves a simple definitive answer.

Always an escape clause.....never without an escape clause.

If your going to commit to something commit to it. We are going to do this and we are going to do that.
    Don't beat about the bush.

But even then they lie. Julia's carbon tax promise is a prime example of that. So when do we believe what comes out of politicians gob??

Why is it so impossible to get a straight answer and the truth from a politician??

Finga, I am not interested in jumping into a pro one party bandwagon but from what I have read Mark has promised where he believes he can commit and not done so where he can't either because he cannot support or cannot commit due to politics - no one wants to follow the path of Hanson and no one would be foolish enough to say everything I offer is iron clad and will not change.

A lot of things people are asking for are great - but will we get them? I am glad we are trying and constructive criticism and ideas I am sure are being listened too.

I will say though I am pleased we have at least one politician that is engaging with us and willing to listen and reply.

From what he has copped I am not surprised many others don't bother trying to work with us and I will bet that some just throw insults hoping he doesn't try and goes away.

I know it sounds a bit ideological as we have read enough about politicians for all it is worth engaging and listening then simply buckling to the minority groups that have the sway not through common sense but through having the numbers to influence. Form what I can see there should be a committed swing with the elected government not having to satisfy the greener fruit-loops so we should see the elected supporting the ideals of those that voted them in. We have shown ourselves to be a worthy enough number to be listened to, so why not give good ideas and expect the promises before the election and after due consideration - not right now?

Yes both parties lie - so why ask them not too?

Best solution is to get promises and give them no reason not to deliver - and then why shouldn't they deliver? They don't refuse a policy just because they want to lose votes or lose power - it is because we give the balance of power to those that don't deserve it.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Yes both parties lie - so why ask them not too?

Best solution is to get promises and give them no reason not to deliver - and then why shouldn't they deliver? They don't refuse a policy just because they want to lose votes or lose power - it is because we give the balance of power to those that don't deserve it.
    You've got to be kidding me...aren't you??. Yes both parties lie - so why ask them not too?
    That is plain bullsh!t. We teach our kids not to lie so why is it acceptable for politicians??
    Why should we accept lies from any of them.
    This bullsh!t that's conveniently described as sudden policy changing started way before this balance of power crap started. Both of the big mobs have done it. It's not just Labor.
    My life has been pretty well shattered by bloody politicians of both ruling parties over the last 15 years or so years. And it is only their lies and misconceptions that has caused it.

Both mobs have lied to me so none of the b@stards should be returned to power according to Mark's theory about telling porky pies.

Why is it acceptable that any the b@stards blatantly lie to us??
    Why is it too much that people except the truth from politicians of all persuasions??

The monk clarified things in regards to election promises with core and non core.

Clear, you bet. Crystal.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Okay Finga if you think you can call for no lies in politics in utopia who am I to call it otherwise. What you are after is very noble - good luck with your quest.

You didn't seem interested in the point I was making too.

If they have clear majority and have every reason to satisfy those who elected them (common sense prevailing), then why shouldn't they?
    Cheers

Trev

I can see your point Trev.
    Just because they all lie we should be accepting the mob who aren't shacked up with the ferals who have the balance of power at the moment.

Mark has put up the hypothesis that Labor should not be returned into power because they have broken election promises. It does not really matter if it's fishing related or not. The principles are still the same

Now a question for you Mark.
    Your saying Labor should not be returned at the next state elections because of broken election promises. Right??
    Has the Liberal or Nationals or LNP ever broken an election promise??? Ever??
    If so then they do not deserve to be re-elected either.

Almost everyone speeds down the SE Freeway at some stage.
    Just because almost everyone speeds should we accept it as normal??
    Apparently not according to all the speed cameras.

there are varying circumstances..I have no problerm if a Govt comes out and says,,we stuffed up..what we promised will not work but we will do this instead..have no problems with that.

I do have a problem with..there will not be a carbon tax under my Govt..that was just a blatant vote gathering lie.