Thread: GPS tracking stolen boats

GPS tracking stolen boats

Howdi all
    I've been hearing about ppl attaching GPS trackers to there equipment, so when it gets stolen they get a live tracking feed to their pc,
    these things sound super awsome
    does any one use em on their boats,
    would be nice to hear some positive 'stolen and recovered' threads for a change rather than the old 'chit my boat just got nicked, have you seen it'
    cheers

http://www.news.com.au/gps-tracking-...-1226105077987

Re: GPS tracking stolen boats

I got a unit here that I bought when my motorcycle was stolen. I am yet to fit it, but plan to do so. For a $100 I dont think you can go wrong. However, my problem is I am yet to buy a SIM card for it. You need telstra to get the coverage, but the cost is a problem. Once I figure it all out I will buy a second unit for my boat. They have 2 methods of tracking, one is real time via data connection, second is you send the device an SMS and it responds with its location.

Thinking a prepaid sim at this point, and just using the SMS method of tracking. Cost you bugger all till its flogged, then you smash it with SMS's to find it. Might cost you a bit when stolen, but who really cares?

I got one in my boat and work van, they work a treat. The one in the van is great when it comes to doing paper work I can go back to the day it was installed and it will show me where I have been. It has saved me once when I had a client refuse to pay his bill said I was not on site for the hours I charged him, funny that I said lets have a look at the GPS tracker in the van, he paid his bill

Andy, keep me informed on the GPS thing ya doing.

Seems like cheap insurance and wouldn't mind installing one in ReBait.

cheers LP.

Thanks for the thread......... creat.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Yep and yep

Geofence and also silent entry alarm for cabin and cowl ( I want to catch em) . Can set of siren remotely, can call in and listen to noises on the boat. Family moored boat it is great as it has a bilge alarm and bilge pump alarm so you also know if it is taking water.

Cheapest prepay sim and network doesn't matter for the first 60km around the city here or till they find it. Gotta be some cameras in the first 60km. Can put co-ords straight into map on phone and follow.

$100 that is getting cheap. Do they have a option for external inputs? I need one for a trailer as well. Maybe santa will be nice

Yeah they can still knock off accessories , spare tyres with bolt cutter etc but hopefully I still have trailer, hull and motor. Insurer never got back to me about discount as it wasn't their preferred brand Blue ray I think. Typical

Edit Haven't seen it yet but neighbour of folks has one with a camera on a moored that will MMS you a picture on each intrusion so even if it is found , desroyed you have a few pictures of the pricks or anyone - having a look. I just don't know how some would go in a marine environment.

These sound good but what about the SIM?
    Prepaid usually have an expiry period that extends out each time you buy more credit.
    If you are after one that you will SMS for the location, then realistically it could sit for years before your boat gets flogged and by that time the SIM will have expired.
    If you opt for regular tracking I guess that would add up to quite a bit of data over a period of time and probably quite a exy exercise?

Are there SIMs available specifically for this type of installation that do not expire?

The concept is good but I reckon Telstra will ream you for every cent they can somehow.
    Jack.

The unit that I run is through a company called Future Fleet www.futurefleet.com.au it cost me $38 a month that is for web access and sim card

I just have a virgin sim in it and every year $49 on it. Long expiry plan. Pay direct on the internet via computer so you don't have to get the sim out of the alarm or off the mored boat. Takes like 2 minutes to log in and do and just have it on the calendar. Virgin use the optus network so coverage is good enough for me.

Ya turn it on or off by sms so it gets a use everytime you use the boat

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/prepa...-phones-plans/

i'm amazed the insurance companies don't subsidise this sort of technology by knocking some money off their premiums if you use it. it sounds good, i'm going to look into it.

I actually asked my insurer - c1ub mar1ne, if they would give me discount if I had a satellite tracker. Nope. Only commercial locking systems..

At a glance, this looks like it will do the job:

http://www.findmespot.net.au/SPOT-HU...t-tracker.html

http://www.findmespot.net.au/TRAMIGO...-Tracking.html

As others have mentioned, it is disappointing that some of the insurers haven't jumped on this and formed an agreement with SPOT or someone similar, offering both discounted policies once fitted combined with discounted purchase prices on the units, log in via the insurer's website etc etc. If it came down to choosing between 2 insurance companies offering a similar product, and one offered this I know which one I would take.

I wonder though if insurance companies actually rely on a percentage of boat theft to ensure people take out premiums, I am sure that if there was far less boat theft some people would think twice about insurance.

Scott.