Thread: first fish on the fly!

first fish on the fly!

hi everyone.
    I am fortunate enough to commute to work everyday along a well stocked, crystal clear rock bottom trout stream. From my place I follow it for around 25km, and there are not many pools that don't hold fish. 10 Minutes drive in the other direction is a large creek that holds good stock of silver perch, yellow belly, catfish, cod, the odd redfin and carp. Since the season opened I have had great success most mornings on the trout with soft plastics. Last week I converted to the dark side, buying a cheap 5-6w combo. I changed the line to teeny first cast wf, and spent the week fly fishing on my front lawn. I decided today was the day and headed to a favourite spot on the little creek. Casting a brown wooly bugger from the base of a small pool into the riffle I got a follow on the second, but the fish didn't take it. I immediately changed to a black and red wooly worm. 4th cast into the riffle and I noticed my fly line stop dead just as it entered the run. I strip strike, lift the rod tip and I'm on!!! Wooohooo! I landed a nice little rainbow in great condition. I am absolutely hooked on this sport! Thanks heaps to everyone for the great info on this site, it helped me out heaps.
    Cheers, chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: first fish on the fly!

Well done lewis top stuff being a trout too ive never caught one the first fish on fly is a great saticfing feeling.

Blog Entries

Re: first fish on the fly!

Well done Chris. Nothing like the buzz of catching your first fish on fly!