Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Waterproof Digital Camera to buy?

Blog Entries

What Waterproof Digital Camera to buy?

Yello Ausfishers,

So been seeing all the great pics and vids put up by the more tekknalogicaccallly advanced of our Ausfish friends and would like to know what unit to buy? Looking at around AUS $300 - $500 (I am in USA and gonna be able to get one for USD $200 - $300 before I leave in 2 weeks)

Want a robust waterproof camera that takes some video. Looked at GoPro and Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. I am fishing out of a Yak and landbased so hands free use is what I am after.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: What Waterproof Digital Camera to buy?

Hi Funchy

Check out WalMart, I got really good service and advice from the Manager of the Photo Shop / Camera section (as in 90 mins service) when I bought my HS 20 when I was there not that long ago. The daughter just got back from the Cook Islands with some very good underwater fish shots. I will ask her what she bought when I talk to her next. When do you fly?
    How did the packing go? I got that item I was chasing at Bunnings for about the same $s. Damn good bit of gear that makes roof and spouting work much easier and safer.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Have been looking at the cheaper option myself. a Fuji XP30 with GPS and is compact. Retail for about 250 bucks. Have read a lot of good reviews, but the GPS sounds a bit hairy at times. I like the idea though... taking a photo and marking the spot at the same time. Fuji generally are lower price, but I haven't heard many bad things about them. Think it will make a nice chrissy present for the wife... heh heh.

I've currently using an Olympus TG-810 for my fishing outings and general abuse situations where I don't want to take the SLR. I've been impressed with it so far, and no criticisms. Harvey norman had a deal where we got 2 for around $450, so my girlfriend has one as well. I had one of their earlier generations of 'tough' cameras as well and it lasted me a while and through some dodgy situations, ended up dying after a snorkelling trip in Thailand. That was just a lesson for me in seal maintennance.

The video is quite easy to use on the TG-810, one big red button to press and takes it straight to video mode. Quality is what you'd expect from the small cameras these days.

Nikon had a nice model with similar specs, but I couldn't justify the extra money when I've had good success with the Olympus and it's a backup camera for me.

Panasonic Lumix FT3
    I have a FT1 and looking to upgrade and the FT3 looks the goods. The gps tagging will be great to mark where you caught the fish in your photos.
    http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-lum...-339309162.htm

citwideonline has great deals - http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ind...&limitstart=50

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice fellas!

Hey Chimo,
    missus and 4 kids left a couple days ago for 3 days in Disneyland before flying home. I head out in a coupla weeks. Get home on the 21st. Be throwing lures in the passage at 4am on the 22nd! The lift went well. 3 fellas from Tonga packed the container. Spent 3hrs talking fishing and raggin the All Blacks

Plenty of room left in the container (shoulda got me a boat while I was here) Anyway. Thanks for the advice mate and tight lines.

P.S. The maximum here today was minus 3C. Bring on the warm!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Hey Basstones,
    yeah the TG-180 looks the goods. I should be able to snavvle one here for about $200. Sounds like the go. Thanks mate.

I have a Lumix Ft1, a Optio Wg1 and a Oregon At9k helmet cam. The Ft1 takes better pics and vids than the new Wg1 but for the yak I use the Oregon as it comes with a waterproof remote and takes reasonable stills.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Panasonic Lumix FT3
    I have a FT1 and looking to upgrade and the FT3 looks the goods. The gps tagging will be great to mark where you caught the fish in your photos.
    http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-lum...-339309162.htm

citwideonline has great deals - http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ind...&limitstart=50
    Gee Triple, now what am I gonna do? GPS!!!! Awesome. Will look into these for sure. Thanks mate

Hey Funchy

Spoke to the girl, she got a Nikon Coolpix AW100 Damn fine bit of gear and very nice pics she took above and below water at the Cook Islands. http://mynikonlife.com.au/gear/digit...-cameras/aw100

Around $350 here I think Check WalMart there! Minus 3; Wimp, where we were is down to minus 20 by now.

C
    C

PS Just checked thegood guys web price, which you can cut if face to face is $380 http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/bundal...range_VMA893HA

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Hey Basstones,
    yeah the TG-180 looks the goods. I should be able to snavvle one here for about $200. Sounds like the go. Thanks mate.
    No problems Glad to be of assistance. They are a solid little camera, and for anyone with a keen eye...can be picked up over here at around that same $200 price. Just have to time it right with the sales. I do carry mine with me everyday and has come in handy a few times. We very nearly ended up with the Fuji XP30's purely for the fact that the first 4 harvey normans had already sold out of the olympus, glad we perserved because it is by far the most solid of the bunch.

The TG-810 has a few interesting little features as well, I have the GPS on but have never really paid much attention to it, although it does tell you at the top of screen where you are. The panaroma mode is worth having a play with, and it has a 'tap' system you can set up so that if for example you tap twice on the left side of the case it will automatically take you to a specific menu or action...ie reviewing photos. Could be very handy for when in the yak.

Anyway, have a quick read through the manual when you get it, has a few nifty features you may not realise at first.

Walmart US $340 USD with 4mb card and case Go for it!

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...onstraint=3944

C
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Panasonic Lumix FT3
    Do you want to sell your old FT1?
    I'm after a waterproof camera for the yak but I can't afford a new one.

i have to give a big thumbs up for the Nikon AW100 just brought one on saturday for the mrs birthday 16mp plus gps 10m underwater..
    absolute fantastic camera and takes good shots. apart from that i was looking at the Canon a bit tougher but less mega pixels. both great cameras...

Lucas

G'day

Panasonic FT3, simply no contest. Waterproof to 12M, Full HD video and a leica lens, simply sensational.

It's just been with me all through South America and the photo's it's produced are incredible.

Dave