Thread: VHF radio from the US - any advice on these brands?

VHF radio from the US - any advice on these brands?

Hi,

I am looking at a new VHF radio from Fishon Marine in the US.

There are a few brands available in the price range I was looking at and I would appreciate any advice on these units:

Uniden Solara VHF $120 http://www.fishonmarine.com/product_...ts_id=55421024

Uniden Oceanus D - $123 http://www.fishonmarine.com/product_...ts_id=41938664

StandardEclipse DSC $140 http://www.fishonmarine.com/product_...ts_id=51931185

Cobra MRF45-D $110 http://www.fishonmarine.com/product_...ts_id=50176254

Cobra MRF55-D $120 http://www.fishonmarine.com/product_...ts_id=50176250

I understand that DSC is not necessary in Australia or even that it works in all areas of the east coast.

Each of these have US/Canada and Internation signs, so I assume that these will work in Australia.

As an alternative, I can get a GME600 with aerial base for $249 in Australia. Are there any store in Australia that sell VHF's cheaper than the usual retail outlets?

Cheers

Re: VHF radio from the US - any advice on these brands?

I'm not sure, and I would have to check the net and be sure that the frequencies provided are the same as here.
    I have a feeling that they are not compatible.
    There are places in Aust which you can save a few bucks but youll have to look around,do a search on GME600 and you will get an address to a site which will compare prices.
    Take into account your US buy price add freight.I wonder if the saving is enough to justify taking business offshore,and doing a local supplier without just one more sale.

I can't see why they wouldn't be compatible. I previously purchased a handheld humminbird VHF55S from the States and it has worked well to date!

As for buying local, I would certainly buy local if the proces were decent! With US/AU $ currently parralel, why is it that radios in the states for $120 sell for $250-$300 here? Fair enough if the AU was back around 0.75c to the US$ but it ain't!

Just had a quick look and it appears that US and Aust are not compatible.Some chans are OK but others are not ,in that transmit and receive frequencies are not all the same for each channel.The good news is that 16 and 67 are ok.

CORRECTION FURTHER READING TELLS ME THAT THE RADIOS ARE SWITCHABLE DEPENDING ON THE COUNTRY INTO WHICH THEY ARE SOLD---SO ALL IS OK -SORRY
    Last edited by albey; 04-12-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: correcting editorial errors

Not a problem they have an "international" setting which is compatible.
    P.s have a look at ICOM VHF very relaible units
    Regards Frank

hey bilo..i recently purchased a uniden solara from usa..i was advertised as being reverbished but arrived brand new but not in original box...all channels are compatibleand cost 110bucks delivered

No problem buying from the US. I would go for ICOM before the others you are looking at. Check out Scuba steve and a few others before ordering and check out shipping as this varies a lot. With some companies shipping drops after you spend a certain amount
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I have the Uniden Oceanus - got it from the states. Good price and is compatible in international - no problems

I also have an Icom from the US, switch to international all good.

Regards
    HOnda

Icom always gets good wraps, as mentioned International channels all the same, check Cabelas.com in the states as they always have a range in their 'Bargain barn' clearances, i picked up a handheld icom m24 floating for about $160, they have the Uniden solara you mention on sale for $99 (about $37 postage i think 0-$100 order, $47 postage $100-$200 order etc)
    Cheers
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Check out Scuba steve and a few others before ordering and check out shipping as this varies a lot. With some companies shipping drops after you spend a certain amount

Scuba Steve Marine is cheap. They have a Uniden Solara for $97 but postage was $139! Wow, talk about expensive!

Can I ask whether these overseas models can be connected directly to the GME aerial base (i.e. plug) or is the aerial connector different between the US and Australia?

Same base. I have a sitex dsc900.
    I use the pacific pro connection. If that makes any difference.

even though you might be saving s few dollars, I kind of dooubt a "small ticket" item is worth buying from the other side of the world, it is not like you are saving a couple of grand or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    even though you might be saving s few dollars, I kind of dooubt a "small ticket" item is worth buying from the other side of the world, it is not like you are saving a couple of grand or something.
    Your right but in this instance I can pick from about 3-4 different VHF radios delivered from the US for $150. The cheapest I can get locally is $260 for a GME VHF.

Why not save $100 where you can? For me, that extra $100 buys me a new 1.8m vhf aerial and the base - and then I still come in cheaper than just buying the GME radio from my local retailers.

Sure, I could even try ebay, but the cheapest the GME600 is $230.

Having said that, a friend of a friend has a 2nd hand Raymarine 54e going for $110 plus postage. I'm not sure how old this model is but I believe Raymarine are quality radios.