Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic wiring of accessories to centre console - need some advice

Basic wiring of accessories to centre console - need some advice

Well I have finally installed the centre console and control box.

I also had the mechanic run suitable guage wiring from the battery to the console.

Now I would like to wire up a vhf radio, fish finder and nav lights but need some help.

Should I install a battery isolation switch and if so, can it be easily attached to the battery box?

From what I understand, I will need two buss bars and a splashproof moulded switch panel with fuses.

I did consider buying the 12volt bible for boats to help out but alot of reviews say its too basic or not applicable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Basic wiring of accessories to centre console - need some advice

The 12v bible would be ideally suited to the job at hand.
    Decide before you start if you want to run two batteries or not,my personal feelings are that a second battery is rarely necessary in a centre console due mainly to the fact that you are not drawing big currents like a fridge,spotlights are used when the motor is running so they arent a problem.Bait pumps draw a bit,but then again my 5m runs on one battery and I have never had a problem,however I dont go offshore.
    If you are travelling long distances off shore then I would fit a second battery.
    basically an isolation switch should be fitted to the positive line then take your positive from the switch to a fuse or circuit breaker pane,(hint,,,always fit a panel with three or more fuses/switches than you think you will need,because believe me,somewhere down then track you are going to fit something else and youll need a fuse to cater for that),from the switched side of the panel go to the item you wish to control,from the negative side of the item take back to a negative bus bar,from there a single cable back to battery negative.
    JUST REMEMBER THE CABLE FROM BATTERY + TO THE ISOLATION SWITCH WILL BE CARRYING ALL OF THE BOATS CURRENT INCLUDING START CURRENT,SO HERE I WOULD BE USING 2B&S----THE + CABLE FROM THE SWITCH TO THE FUSE PANEL AND THE -VE CABLE FROM THE BUS BAR BACK TO THE BATTERY WILL BE CARRYING ALL OF YOUR HOUSE LOADS,HERE YOU COULD USE 8B&S(MinKota cable)

If you have any doubts at all technically get some professional advice or have some one qualified do it for you

Put an inline fuse near your battery on the positive that goes to your dash.
    Put a 3 position push/pull switch on your dash for the lights, leave a little space in case you want to add more in the future.
    Connect all the positives & negatives at the dash in 2 cable connectors retaining the inline fuses for the radio & fishfinder if they have them.
    Wire the lights in the same size wire as the main lines coming up from the battery.
    All your gauges should be wired from the remote so they come on with the outboard ignition.

The 12 volt doctors bible guide to 12 volt boat wiring is everything you need to understand and then wire up the boat. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

DSCN1067.jpgYou may not want the bus bars. Blue Seas make a damn good bus bar/fuse solution thats perfect for trailerboats...can get them in 6 or 12 's. Saves on seperate bus bars/fusebox's etc. Just connect your main wires at the console that come from the battery (generally 8mm is best but can get away with 6mm) neg to top, pos to bottom and connect up accessories as u go. Run the positives thru any switches. Insert suitable standard blade fuses and done.
    Much easier to get at fuses and good kit well made.
    Piccie is of a 12 gang i installed behind steering console.

what a top unit

how neat and how easy it would be to have a wiring diagram to see what goes where

I presume it doesn't come with a cover though?

cheers Murf

Murf..they do come with a cover as well as labels. Pic is just after installed with no cover or labels and only a fuse or two testing it out.
    The circuits come numbered but not that obvious so made it easier assuming at night with big numbers. Just number/label the switches and write out a "legend" 1. VHF 2. nav lights... etc and glue it nearby. Between labels and numbers cant get lost anywhere. Each individual circuit can handle 30A. Good kit for not that much more than the crap kit.

Quote Originally Posted by deckie View Post
    DSCN1067.jpgYou may not want the bus bars. Blue Seas make a damn good bus bar/fuse solution thats perfect for trailerboats...can get them in 6 or 12 's. Saves on seperate bus bars/fusebox's etc. Just connect your main wires at the console that come from the battery (generally 8mm is best but can get away with 6mm) neg to top, pos to bottom and connect up accessories as u go. Run the positives thru any switches. Insert suitable standard blade fuses and done.
    Much easier to get at fuses and good kit well made.
    Piccie is of a 12 gang i installed behind steering console.

Thats neat!

wish i'd seen one of them a year ago.....
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    wish i'd seen one of them a year ago.....
    I hear you there but mine is not finished yet so it is getting re-designed with one of these units in it

cheers Murf

Where's the cheapest place to get one of these Blue Sea boxes? Cheapest i can find them for is around $60 for the 6 connector with +ve and -ve with cover. Was hoping that they may be a bit cheaper.

I also noticed that there are a few other similar designed units in Australia. Worth googling!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilopete View Post
    Where's the cheapest place to get one of these Blue Sea boxes? Cheapest i can find them for is around $60 for the 6 connector with +ve and -ve with cover. Was hoping that they may be a bit cheaper.

I also noticed that there are a few other similar designed units in Australia. Worth googling!
    I just bought two of these 12 gang Blue Sea Blade Fuse Block with Cover, Negative Bus 5026 from madfisher1 on that evil bay also got a few other bits n pieces from him and he is getting other stuff in for me. talked to Phil from there a few times and seems great and very helpful
    can get it a few dollars cheaper in USA but I didn't think it was worth the effort of getting from USA for the dollars saved, I do the Aussie thing when I can

cheers Murf

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I just bought two of these 12 gang Blue Sea Blade Fuse Block with Cover, Negative Bus 5026 from madfisher1 on that evil bay also got a few other bits n pieces from him and he is getting other stuff in for me. talked to Phil from there a few times and seems great and very helpful
    can get it a few dollars cheaper in USA but I didn't think it was worth the effort of getting from USA for the dollars saved, I do the Aussie thing when I can

cheers Murf
    $64 posted is the cheapest he sells them for. Not having done wiring before, I assume the Blue Sea fuse box replaces the need for two buss bars and some wiring. I assume there is no need to have both a fuse box and a 4 switch panel if the switch panel already comes with fuses?

I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than fit one of those switch/fuse panels.

I did fit one once and when I stood back to admire my handywork I said to myself, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

Use the neat little fuse box out of sight and wire in a 3 position switch for your nav lights leaving room for any extras. One little hole for the switch compared to a crater sized cut out for the switch/fuse panel. Do you really need to have switches turning on & off other switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than fit one of those switch/fuse panels.

I did fit one once and when I stood back to admire my handywork I said to myself, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

Use the neat little fuse box out of sight and wire in a 3 position switch for your nav lights leaving room for any extras. One little hole for the switch compared to a crater sized cut out for the switch/fuse panel. Do you really need to have switches turning on & off other switches?
    I read your post earlier and read it all wrong I think

yes the switch panels with the in line fuses hanging off the back of them are a nightmare, especially in the dark in rough seas in a hurry to fault find a problem

"Use the neat little fuse box out of sight and wire in" as in the 12 or 6 gang one suggested here? everything would be very central and easily identified unlike the 10 diff fuse holders zip tied up under the console with no identification as to what they do in most boats. I am yet to see the quality of the Blue Sea unit but if it is like their other gear it should be a bit of all right

I assume there is no need to have both a fuse box and a 4 switch panel if the switch panel already comes with fuses?

get a switch panel with more than 4 switches

nav lights
    all round white light
    bilge pump
    live bait tank pump
    radio
    fish finder

you soon use up 4 switches

cheers Murf