Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cooper tyres

Cooper tyres

Hi All

Are Coopers tyres as good as they are made out to be ?

I'm up for a set of tyres for my 2006 Prado and just looking at good options for All terrain tyres
    I have to say - I've been pretty happy with the current Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA (78,000km) ..... which for the record was the same as the original Dunlop Geolanders.

Interested to year your thoughts on Coopers or other options

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Cooper tyres

What about Maxxis? The old man has put the 751 AT on his rodeo the last couple times and loves them. He normally gets about 80000 km out of them, but at a fairly cheaper price. Normally sell for about $220 F&B per corner, but can be done cheaper too.

NO THEY ARE NOT... They are total crap, just good advertising. 4 of them blew on a cape trip (new tyres). My neighbors has warn terribly, after 4x4ing there is now steel hanging out of the tread. Another has developed a slow leak from driving over a log. The leak is from the tread (thickest point) side. There are plenty better out there. The maxxis 751 is actually a very good tyre. But my go to for an all terrain is definately the bfg's.

Over priced and over rated. Go the maxxis.

I had the ATR's on my Cruiser and as stated above crap,,,,,,,,,,30k and severe sidewall perish............plenty of tread left but you could dig your thumbnail into the side wall and rip out a chunk.

I went Mickey Thompson this time and i'm happy so far.......For an all terrain BFG or MickyT 5 ribs.

Dan

shit hey - I didn't know that they were so poor !

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

But they still sell heaps through good marketing. You cant open a magazine or watch a 4x4 dvd without a coopers segmant. I honestly would the nangajangs chinese muddies of coopers. Coopers - Its american for sh$t.

Chris...maaaaate.
    I just put some new tyres on Mrs Palmer a while back.
    I did my research because I did not have a clue.
    A lot of good information is available on American sites.
    What amased me was the general approval of Kumho tyres. The vast majority of reports were outstanding when compared to BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Cooper and a lot of the major tyre suppliers.
    The deeper tread crap is just that. Crap.
    She had Maxxis 751's on her when I brought her and thought...yep, new tyres in the next few months. But 18 months later I got some new tyres. The Maxxis seemed to wear extremely well and kept grip some what when tread was down. I was expecting really slippery tyres as I did not know how old they were.
    So now I have Kumho's and I'm happy
    I was so impressed about the service I got I did a thread.
    He also had a lot of brand new second handies off 4 wheel drives going to the mines.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ighlight=kumho
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

The maxxis for sure,they have been in the states for ever, Very underated tyre in Aus. But if you got good life out of the tyres you currently have and have been happy, why change???

Coopers have a terrible reputation through the auto industry. I would never put them on any car.

Cheers Lee

I put Cooper ST's on my 2006 Prado before heading to the cape, they were on the car only 3 weeks before suffering survere chipping just from riding on he lack top, no dirt roads. To Coopers credit with the warrantee they swapped all tyres including spare although this had me worried about what their performance was going to be like on the harsh dirt roads of the cape. But anyway things turned out ok, no flats, I got about 128,000 km out of the 5 tyres, but you need to rotate and balance to get the longevity out of them. The ST's are more aggressive than the ATR's therefore more road noise, but I'm sure Cooper have new models out now which I'm not familiar with, I'd be checking what the warrantee is offered these days as well, here stories of them not backing their product as the did back 6 years ago.
    I'm running BGF's on my current 2008 Prado now, I'm upto 70,000 km and still going well, thick I probably get around 95 to 100,000 km out of the five tyres, a lot less road noise than the ST's that's for sure, I'm happy with alrounded performance of the BFG's as most driving is on the black top.
    Whatever choice you make keep an eye out of the wear on the inside of front left tyre on the Prado, keep rotating every 10,000 km using all five tyres and you will get reasonable km's out of them.
    Mick

Finga, are you talking about mud terains?

As above overrated.Neighbor had them on his Jerry can and done about 55k on them before they were rooted. He had the things rotated often and when he went to chase them up regarding there min mileage guarantee they offered him a percentage off his next set of them.Don't need to be a genius they factor that into there sell price in the event someone makes a claim.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    The maxxis for sure,they have been in the states for ever, Very underated tyre in Aus. But if you got good life out of the tyres you currently have and have been happy, why change???

Coopers have a terrible reputation through the auto industry. I would never put them on any car.

Cheers Lee
    Hi Lee

Good question mate ........ & except for price ($360 each) I would probably go them again as I have not had an issue .. good even wear without constant rotations .

Always good to hear opinions from here - there are a hell of a lot of 4X4 owners ......... so it's a good source of info

Now my question on the Maxxis is......... are they popular because they are cheap or value for money or just a good tyre ???? (quiet , long wearing , good in the wet ???)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i have coopers on my hilux. not very old so im not going to give an opinion (got them before the oct long weekend). but.... they were cheap, i got 4 stc tires for $990 fitted. goodluck with your choice.
    aaron

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Now my question on the Maxxis is......... are they popular because they are cheap or value for money or just a good tyre ???? (quiet , long wearing , good in the wet ???)
    Chris
    I found the Maxxis were all the above.
    I wore mine down to the wear markers and not a problem. I'd still have them if I could have grown some tread on them. Most of my 20odd thousand kilometers with them was towing a trailer so they weren't handled with care at all.
    I did price new ones before I went Kumho and they seemed very reasonable in price. 235/75-15's were about $160-180 each.
    Only reason I went Kumho were the opinions of others but it would be a toss up I reckon.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good