Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cooper tyres

Re: Cooper tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Here is my Coopers after 30K of normal driving...probably about 5% on dirt/gravel. They came with the car as brand new tyres, I though 'yeah Coopers" they are awesome.....until now. I would never buy them after this. There are some worse chunks missing from the inside of most tyres..I just couldn't get a decent photo.

Cheers Steve
    Can I tell you ....... and I'm no tyre expert but spent 7.5 years in the rubber industry in a technical role ........... I reckon that the compound used in these tyres would have a very high durometer reading (sure A hardness) - which means its probably got an high carbon or filler content ...... or contains a high level of sulphur as part of the curing process ..........a good quality rubber compound should wear to black rather than grey - have a look at how a racing car tyre looks - these coopers are wearing to grey and chunking out ..............
    I had a flat today ...... my first in 85,000km and when I looked at it = it wore evenly and has a nice jet black appearance ...... not any sign of pieces missing

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

hey has anyone had or have the new cooper at3's they claim 33% stronger then the old atr. Keen to hear feedback on them. cheers

I put a couple of Maxxis on the car prior to selling it ........ cheap but how good will they be after a year in another thing

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Funny enough Chris, there are quiet a few supporters of the Maxxis around that rate them extremely highly, especially given the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Funny enough Chris, there are quiet a few supporters of the Maxxis around that rate them extremely highly, especially given the price.
    yep ..... a lot of people like them - but I put them on because they were quite cheap and since I wes getting rid of the car just days later .. I wasn't worried about anything else.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have a 2002 Pajero . The 1st set of Coopers I got nearly 80,000 k's. I now have the Copper AT3 tyres. My vehicle is used for work which takes me to outback Qld in remote areas. I generally tow a trailer with mining exploration equipment weighing over a tonne. I have found the AT3's to be very good in the sand as well as rocky ground in bush areas. All up fitted was around $1300.00. I had Coopers fitted to the troop carrier in PNG and they were copping a lot of abuse on the roads up there and performed very well.
    Different tyres perform in different ways on many vehicles and there are a lot of factors that govern the way they perform. Tyre pressure and rotation are very important.
    Good tyre management will see most tyres last, but for me I love the Coopers. Cheers

Coopers are too inconsistant.
    My first set of Cooper ST's were fitted by a Coopers dealer, they didn't even make it to 2000km before serious chipping developed, they didn't even make it off road.
    The dealer arranged the Coopers rep to have a look and to their credit they exchanged for another set, now that set including the spare completed 128,000km.....go figure.

Cooper's are overrated. Mine didn't last 20,000km. An associate got asked to do a spool about how great the cooper's tyres are, in return they gave him a free set of tyres.
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

I know this thread is pretty long in the tooth but I thought I would wade in with my 2c also.

I used to be the president of the local 4x4 club and did a lot of club trips playing in the dirt / mud / sand / mountains. In 2005 I bought a new set of BFG muddies for the 80 series... around the same time my best mate bought a set of Cooper STT for his 80 series and a club member bought some STT for his Patrol.. so here I am now in 2012 with the same tyres still hanging on (only just mind you though).. the tyres have done some pretty hard playing and have done some good trips including Cape York and numerous club runs and have ticked over 110,000 and still have something like 7mm of tread left, with only a single puncture to speak of... yes they are hard as buggery now and pretty skatey on the wet bitumen but I have all but stopped off road driving so am in no rush to replace them just yet...
    In comparison the STT on the 80 series and Patrol were both stuffed by around 20k and the 80 series had them replaced under warranty only to have the exact same chipping problems before binning them for some Mickey Thompson ATR.. the Patrol's STT were simply thrown out as they were practically destroyed..

All three cars were doing the same tracks (albeit with different drivers and driving habits) but it is clear evidence to me to stay well away from anything with Coopers written on them.
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

Maxxis had the on my last car got same is out of them that I got out of duellers about 100,000 on each

Since I started this thread - I've spoken to a lot of drivers & had a look at plenty on cars that have been running coopers. The conclusion I have come to is that , the Coopers are gravely inconsistent......with plenty of good news stories but a hell of a lot of negatives too.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thats right, Ive met blokes who love their coopers and happy as with them. Recon no chipping or punchers and good road life. BUT... Their the ones who will get burnt the most, as they recon their next tyre purchase will be coopers again. So to me its just russian ruelette and their time will come. Im sure I will see them again in the future and hear a different story.

Hi
    We put a set of ST's on our patrol. No problems with them as yet.
    Its a matter of choice and personal preference as is anything-- had Mickey thomsons before that and thought they were CRap.

Ronnie

Wow! I'm really confused. I'm on my 2nd set of Cooper ST's on the Disco1 after the 1st set lasted about 70k klms which included a trip up the Sandover H'way/Gibb R./Cape Leveque/Gunnbarrel & Simmo then Vic High country 2 years later. In that 70k I had one puncture with a piece of steel from the old Hatches Ck mine causing a slow leak. Also have Cooper STs on the old beach Rangie but can't say much about them as they only do about 800klms a year & mostly on sand. And, I have Maxxis 751s on my 75 Series Cruiser trayback & they're absolutely lacking in grip.I have to engage 4x4 to get it into it's shed while my mates Ford Courier with Toyo Open Country (and more wear on) easily does it in 2wd . Some of the comments have me wondering about the driving dynamics of some vehicles &/or drivers & where they've been. No criticism intended to anyone but a real headscratcher non-the-less.
    Steve

I am on to my fourth set of Coopers on my Jackaroo. Have gone with the new AT3 ones this time, I now have 10000km on them and am happy with them.