Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cooper tyres

Re: Cooper tyres

I jumped on their website before to have a look. Had to laugh when I saw the 7 reasons to buy coopers. I couldnt even find their tread depth listed. I started to find all kinds of unhappy people in the search results, even from america. And then I found out that in the ST 285/75/16 common size. The tread is 14.3mm. Interesting because in the km2 its 15mm.

Something else I have found interesting is people who where very happy with 1 set. Then when they updated, the new ones fell apart.

Things like this..

UPDATE after 2 weeks:
    The road to my farm is covered in fairly large rocks that never seemed to damage or bother my Cooper ST tires (that are now removed). Here are a couple pics of the STT after two trips down my road. The pics are of some fairly large chunks of rubber missing from the STT:

Others are same story again. 1 guy ballanced and rotated his tyres every 7 miles. 1 day it wobbled so much he nearly crashed. 2 tyres delaminated the exact same time. And other took their tyres back due to cracks appearing. Coopers did replace with only a few questions asked. But the poor guy is now on set number 3. Meaning all 4 have had to be replaced twice. They have said if these do it they will give him a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy98 View Post
    What have you heard about the new ST Maxx?

Cheers,
    Roo.
    I've done 11K on mine now. 265/70/17 on a GU patrol. I'm happy. Good on the beach. Went everywhere at 20psi. Good on high speed dirt and held nicely in the little bit of slop that I've had them in. Bumpier on-road than the maaxis they replaced, but given the sidewalls and the load rating, not to be surprised. Haven't run a set of calipers over them but the don't appear to have worn noticably so far.

I couldn't find anything with that sort of load rating and sidewall, so ponied up and bought a set. Always swore I'd never own coopers but so far so good.

Cheers
    Craig

I have had 4 sets of them now and have been happy with all of them.
    Two sets of STT 285/75/16 on a GU Ute. First set got 80k and second had 35k when sold.
    Just replaced the ST 265/75/16 on my triton after 90k with a set of the new AT3 in 285/75/16 and they seem a nice tyre also, much quieter and smoother than the ST.
    No problems recommending Coopers at all.

I did find out alot more info about these tyres. From guys in the industry, in the states, explaining whats happening. But as this is old now. Ive lost the link. Its to do with the amount of silica they put in the rubber compound. They put it in to to save on rubber and its also is suppossed to break down at a certain amount of k's to get your business again. Turns out coopers was getting gready/or there was a mixing problem?!?! and these guys found the most silica they have ever seen in a tyre before.

I personally think coopers in SH$T anyway. Too many problems and bad stories to risk it. My money is all on the km2's bloody brilliant...

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    I did find out alot more info about these tyres. From guys in the industry, in the states, explaining whats happening. But as this is old now. Ive lost the link. Its to do with the amount of silica they put in the rubber compound. They put it in to to save on rubber and its also is suppossed to break down at a certain amount of k's to get your business again. Turns out coopers was getting gready/or there was a mixing problem?!?! and these guys found the most silica they have ever seen in a tyre before.

I personally think coopers in SH$T anyway. Too many problems and bad stories to risk it. My money is all on the km2's bloody brilliant...

that's a surprise ...... silca is added to rubber to improve the hardness of the rubber and improve the wear and tear ..... silica resists abrasion - silica is a fairly recent additive (filler) used in conjuction to carbon black .
    Now to cut costs you can add fillers in place of carbon black or replace the natural or synthetic rubber (like calcium carbonate or Talc ...aka Magnesium silicate) - maybe this is where the info has got muddled up . But yes using clever compounding you can make rubber last much longer ...... or less so
    we used to make rubber track pads for the Australian army tanks and APCs ......... if this compound was used for cars - you'd have a cracker of a tyre ........ but it was relatively expensive .
    Silica is actually good in tyres

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

The old man has Coopers on his Navara ST-R 3.0TD, just about stuffed after not quite 30,000 km's, swears he'll never buy another set. The Bridgestone's he had previously lasted over 3 times longer.

Two weeks ago I picked up these Maxxix Bravo 771's at Bob Jane for $224 each.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    that's a surprise ...... silca is added to rubber to improve the hardness of the rubber and improve the wear and tear ..... silica resists abrasion - silica is a fairly recent additive (filler) used in conjuction to carbon black .
    Now to cut costs you can add fillers in place of carbon black or replace the natural or synthetic rubber (like calcium carbonate or Talc ...aka Magnesium silicate) - maybe this is where the info has got muddled up . But yes using clever compounding you can make rubber last much longer ...... or less so
    we used to make rubber track pads for the Australian army tanks and APCs ......... if this compound was used for cars - you'd have a cracker of a tyre ........ but it was relatively expensive .
    Silica is actually good in tyres

Chris

According to these blokes in the us. If too much silica is added big chucks break apart.

Quote Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
    Two weeks ago I picked up these Maxxix Bravo 771's at Bob Jane for $224 each.

I got the same tyre, in 265/70/16, for $212 a corner. Done about 5K on them and pretty happy!

According to these blokes in the us. If too much silica is added big chucks break apart.
    Silica is more expensive than carbon black or natural rubber ........ so it does not make commercial sence - that's why cheap fillers are used (Talc or Cal carb) ...... $400 / tonne vs $2000-$3000 / tonne
    boat wobble rollers are a good example of a cheap filled rubber compound - they contain high levels of talc and that's why chunks come out of them . You are right though - too much Silica or any filler will make a compound that has a much lower tensile strength & increased hardness........ so they will be more likely to see chunks come out of it .
    Rubber compounding is pretty interesting

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Some of the stuff they said was jibberish to me. Maybe it was some other stuff aswell like talc or cal carb. What ever it is. Its the reason coopers fall apart. Even driving on bitumen.

Some of the stuff they said was jibberish to me. Maybe it was some other stuff aswell like talc or cal carb. What ever it is. Its the reason coopers fall apart. Even driving on bitumen.
    seen plenty of examples of it now ........ so I wont touch them

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Here is my Coopers after 30K of normal driving...probably about 5% on dirt/gravel. They came with the car as brand new tyres, I though 'yeah Coopers" they are awesome.....until now. I would never buy them after this. There are some worse chunks missing from the inside of most tyres..I just couldn't get a decent photo.

Cheers Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

There is a crap load of cracking going on there aswell. If your went 4x4ing with low tyre pressures on some shail hills. You would be screwed. I wouldnt be supprised if I saw steel belts hanging out like my neghbors set.

Coopers - Its american for rip off