Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cooper tyres

Re: Cooper tyres

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Finga, are you talking about mud terains?
    Dunno. I ended up with the Kumho Road Venture A/T's
    And to be really honest I do not know very much about tyres what so ever.
    To me they're rim protectors.
    I don't drive harshly and about the only thing I need out of them is not to blow.
    I kinda like them not to be slippery in the wet but it doesn't rain much and if it does rain I like to be out of it.
    Made of sugar I am
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Well well.... I am surprised at the anti Cooper replies here. I am on my 3rd set of Cooper ATRs, never ever had a problem with anything, always balanced, always got me over terrain in moderate 4WDing, (never extreeme because my wife would always remind me "this is also the car you have to drive to work on Monday")

The spare on the back is from the last set, worn down to the indicators with 120K on it and still OK as a spare.

Scalem

Chris,

I'm on my second set of Coopers for the Landy. The first did nearly 100k and probably still had 15% left. The second set have done about 40k and look near new.

The Landy did heaps of road miles and heaps of serious off road stuff in that time. Not one puncture or one flat in the 7 years I've had them. The first were ATR's and the second are ST's.

I run my tyres at high pressure - around 45-50 PSI. I think this helps the Coopers but probably makes for a rougher ride - but in the Landy can you tell anyway !!!!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    I run my tyres at high pressure - around 45-50 PSI. I think this helps the Coopers but probably makes for a rougher ride - but in the Landy can you tell anyway !!!!
    Brett
    Just ads to the charm of them doesn't it
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Looked at coopers but price was an issue and wasnt aware of the negativety towards them, have used Kuhmos and was happy as a cheap alternative,Toyo ATs also review fairly well if doing nearly all tar work as sidewall strength an issue apparently.
    Just had new BF Goodrich All Terrains replacing a set that was given to me by a mate off his buisness car, i was really happy with them so have gone with them again, word is that these later BFs are much quieter than previous and must say i agree. Paid $250 each(245/70r16) from Sydney delivered to Bris free from ebay listing, another $160 for fitting, disposal and wheel alignment so happy with all up cost.

I'll have to have a look at the Maxxis ......... and compare them to the Wranglers .
    I know comparing the Dunlops to the wranglers ........ the dunlops felt less sure footed (particularly in the wet) once they hit around 50K - Yet the Goodyear Wranglers still feel pretty good even though they are at the end of their life. ...... but it's a hell of a premium to pay

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Goodyear make the best 4b tyres on the market, go the Duratrac, few bucks more but a lot more tyre.

Cheers Brad

I dont think so. A guy in the logan 4x4 club who owns the goodyear down here. Tried to convince me. I was interested at first until we took them on the highway. Noisy even from new. And you can feel that the rubber compound is too hard combined with the tread design (vibrations).

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    I dont think so. A guy in the logan 4x4 club who owns the goodyear down here. Tried to convince me. I was interested at first until we took them on the highway. Noisy even from new. And you can feel that the rubber compound is too hard combined with the tread design (vibrations).
    I have to say the Goodyear Wrangler AT that I have on now have been pretty good ( they were a recent introduction when I bought them) I was sold on the silent armour construction , very good block patten on the edge of the tyre & rim protection........... They were marginally noisier than the Dunlops but felt very sure footed on the road (dry & wet) ............... not knowing anything about 4WD tyres at the time (still dont) they were a $30 premium on the Dunlops and since I didn't really rate the Dunlops I went for Wranglers.
    I have noticed on the net plenty of mixed reviews on just about every tyre - & that makes it hard to decide

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ok this is all just my opinion from an ex Beurepaires manager so no flaming.

The Cooper tyres are exy in price but do wear well with the new st range a/t. My son works for tyre power and the coopers is there main breed. The main problem i had when trying to wheel align a vehicle with coopers on it was at least 2 out of 3 vehicles had 1 tyre with a spongey tyre wall. This made it a real head @#$% too try and align properly. So soft tyre wall dramas for coopers. The more tread shite that they carry on about is crap. It's a softer compound that wears just as quick. The average 4 wheel tyre has around 14mm of tread.

Bfg's are a really excellent tyre but are real exy too. If you can afford these they are what i would recommend.

If you are a city slicker getting out every once in a while i would probably look at khumo's or maxxis. These were my main selling foriegn brand tyres . Main buyers for those were coal seam gas companys such as QCG, MCQCLONG etc.They are cheaper but getting good k's. They are subject to bruising though. Bruising is indentations left by rocks etc.

If you live your life in the mud a set of Duratracs were probably my best seller. Never had a noise complaint about them though? Even had them on my v8 hilux.

Please keep in mind that tyres from fresh out of the factory only have a shelf life of 4 years(yes four years only) Your not going to get four years out of them unless you get a wheel alignment and rotation every 5 thousand K's. It pays to check the manufacturers date on the tyre before you get them put on. Most of the goodyear dunlop tyres are made in asia and by the time they get here are already 3 months old. Then they sit in the store for a while before they sell. When i took over the store we went through every tyre. Some had been on the shelf for 6 years. These tyres were like rocks and unsafe.

Another thing that helps save your tyre life is keeping them out of the sun(garage) The sun brings out the natural oils in the tyre and causes the tyre to dry out a lot quicker, which in turn weakens side walls etc.You often see this after 4wdriving, you will see a bluey colour in the tyre.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Crestcutter View Post
    Ok this is all just my opinion from an ex Beuarepaires manager so no flaming.

The Cooper tyres are exy in price but do wear well with the new st range a/t. My son works for tyre power and the coopers is there main breed. The main problem i had when trying to wheel align a vehicle with coopers on it was at least 2 out of 3 vehicles had 1 tyre with a spongey tyre wall. This made it a real head @#$% too try and align properly. So soft tyre wall dramas for coopers. The more tread shite that they carry on about is crap. It's a softer compound that wears just as quick. The average 4 wheel tyre has around 14mm of tread.

Bfg's are a really excellent tyre but are real exy too. If you can afford these they are what i would recommend.

If you are a city slicker getting out every once in a while i would probably look at khumo's or maxxis. These were my main selling foriegn brand tyres . Main buyers for those were coal seam gas companys such as QCG, MCQCLONG etc.They are cheaper but getting good k's. They are subject to bruising though. Bruising is indentations left by rocks etc.

If you live your life in the mud a set of Duratracs were probably my best seller. Never had a noise complaint about them though? Even had them on my v8 hilux.

Please keep in mind that tyres from fresh out of the factory only have a shelf life of 4 years(yes four years only) Your not going to get four years out of them unless you get a wheel alignment and rotation every 5 thousand K's. It pays to check the manufacturers date on the tyre before you get them put on. Most of the goodyear dunlop tyres are made in asia and by the time they get here are already 3 months old. Then they sit in the store for a while before they sell. When i took over the store we went through every tyre. Some had been on the shelf for 6 years. These tyres were like rocks and unsafe.

Another thing that helps save your tyre life is keeping them out of the sun(garage) The sun brings out the natural oils in the tyre and causes the tyre to dry out a lot quicker, which in turn weakens side walls etc.You often see this after 4wdriving, you will see a bluey colour in the tyre.

Darryl
    Having worked in the rubber industry & involved in the compounding of rubber - there are some points listed above that hold true - Particularly sunlight & heat ....... Rubber suffers from oxidation & ozone attack - As for the natural oils ( the oils are added - there is nothing natural about it !!) Tyres just sitting around in a shed eventually succumb to ozone & thermal degradation

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

When we were travelling around oz, tyres seem to be a very common subject at beer o clock. I did not realise how many people that had had a bad experience with Coopers. Main complaints were cracking between the treads and delaminating (thats what they called it).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    When we were travelling around oz, tyres seem to be a very common subject at beer o clock. I did not realise how many people that had had a bad experience with Coopers. Main complaints were cracking between the treads and delaminating (thats what they called it).

Scott
    The more I research , the more they appear to be " not what they are cracked up to be" ....... or maybe they are
    I'll certainly avoid the Coopers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Bit early for me to be typing, i dont know what i was thinking when i typed natural oils, anyways what i meant was the oil releasing naturally. Might go back to bed lol.

Chris, if you intend on some serious tyre cutting off road work like the traprock area around Stanthorpe, there is only one tyre on the market that stands up to it well. Kelly Springfeild AWR American imported tyres, not the korean made. You are flat out slicing them with a stanley knife. The compound simply wraps around sharp edges without slicing somehow. I did 20 yrs driving in the traprock country (traprock is a hard dark coloured rock that shatters into knife edged shards when you drive on it) and tried every tyre on the market, usually losing two tyres a week to the traprock. I got 90 000km from my first set of American AWR's, actually wore them out. No other tyre gave me more than about 25000km before they were no longer repairable. Desert Duelers being the worst. Coopers were 2nd worst.

Downside is they are noisy bastards after about 50 000km even with regular rotation.

Korean imported AWR's are pretty average and slice up like a normal tyre.
    Jack.