Thread: Halls Peak

Halls Peak

Hi all,
    Seeing as this is a camping forum, Im going to share a spot I visited recently.

Halls Peak campground, in the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park, approx 90km SE of Armidale, NSW. Its a bookings only, 4WD access only remote campsite. When you book through the Armidale offfice of NPWS you get sent a key to open the top gate. From the top gate down to the campsite is approx 3km and you go down 2100ft or 700 metres Some of the steepest tracks Ive driven on. In places its almost 1 in 2 gradient . Low range/high ground clearance 4WD is a MUST, no soft roaders. ie subarus, hondas etc. Small trailers are allowed with permission only.
    Once at the campground area, there are about 12-13 sites with concrete fire pit and swing over type BBQ arrangments, firewood supplied. Composting toilets are situated within easy walk of the campsites. Some campsites (5 or 6) are on grassy areas with a sandy base, others are on a rocky flood plain type area. All are at least 50-100m apart. You need to be totally self sufficient, its almost 2hrs to cover the 90km back Armidale if you need supplies. There's no mobile phone coverage at the campsite but about 5km back up the track (15+ min to drive up the hill) there is intermittant coverage with Telstra phones.
    The campsite is on the banks of the Chandler river, I fished with some freshwater lures but had no joy. Im yet to catch a freshwater fish, I was there for camping with my family this trip, fishing was an extra, but Im sure to those dedicated to freshwater fishing and if you brought a kayak or canoe, you would enjoy this site for sure. Ill be back with someone who knows how to freshwater fish to teach me.
    We camped here for 4 nights, the weekend before Easter this year. We had some rain the 1st night but perfect conditions the next 3 days/nights. Its so deep down in the valley there was virtually no wind the whole time, was just magical. My parents have travelled all over Australia in their 4WD and they think this is one of the best campsites they have been to.

Lancair

Re: Halls Peak

Top gate.

Camp

The river.

Driving back up.

very nice i camp at the styx river all the time have always wanted to go in for a look but cant get anyone to come with me those pics might help intice one of my mates to come allong was there any leaches?

Hi Ryan, we didnt encounter any leaches at all. Im definately heading back out there. Next time with a mate and some kayaks and gear to fish seriously.

We've been done there near Armidale and read about spots like that. I've never seen trip reports about it though so thanks for posting. Does look like an awesome spot.
    When you say they allow some small trailers, does that include camper trailers?

Yeah I think they'd allow a small 4wd style camper trailer, but youd want to be experienced at towing it up and down steep grades. There's some almost full lock hairpin turns on the track so youd need to be able to get it around them.