Thread: Suzuki/Lowrance Interface

Suzuki/Lowrance Interface

I am looking to interface my 2006 150 hp Suzuki to my lowrance HDS so I can monitor fuel usage ect. I have read in some previous posts how there seems to be some issues calibrating the lowrance HDS units.

Does anyone know it there has been any updates on these issues?

My other option to monitor fuel usage is to attach an EP 60 fuel flow monitor. Do people feel these are accurate as my fuel gauge has issues so this is what i will use to monitor my fuel tank?

Another option is to attach an LM 400 gauge. As my sounder has a built in GPS will I have to attach another GPS if I want to monitor fuel usage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Suzuki/Lowrance Interface

Hi Geoff

Been down this path, as have several other memos.

I have a Suzuki DF115 linked to 2 x HDS 5's via NMEA 2000 network.

Since you already have the HDS, there is little value getting the LMF400 as everything you can display on it, you can also display on the HDS.

IMO, the best option is the Suzuki engine interface, because you get so much more info than just the fuel flow that you get from the EP60.

You will need:

1 x Suzuki engine interface cable, complete with T piece to connect to the network.
    1 x Suzuki sds to interface adapter cable to allow you to plug the interface into the diagnostic port on your engine. The other option is to simply buy the right replacement plug which you can get from a few places, for about $20 locally.
    1x Lowrance nmea2k starter kit, it has all the parts you'll need to create the network.

Plug it all together, and configure the network, which you do on your HDS once it's all hooked up, and you are away, it's that easy.

The calibration issue referred to is a software problem on the HDS, won't affect your setup. Only impacts if you want to recalibrate your fuel flow after installation to improve accuracy, I have reported it to Lowrance and hopefully, the next HDS software update due at Christmas time will include a fix.

Pm me if you like, I'll send a copy of an article that I wrote for F&B magazine on this same topic.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks for your reply.

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff 3114 View Post
    I am looking to interface my 2006 150 hp Suzuki to my lowrance HDS so I can monitor fuel usage ect. I have read in some previous posts how there seems to be some issues calibrating the lowrance HDS units.

Does anyone know it there has been any updates on these issues?

My other option to monitor fuel usage is to attach an EP 60 fuel flow monitor. Do people feel these are accurate as my fuel gauge has issues so this is what i will use to monitor my fuel tank?

Another option is to attach an LM 400 gauge. As my sounder has a built in GPS will I have to attach another GPS if I want to monitor fuel usage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Will an 06' engine display all of the info wanted?..........i was led to believe it was only 08'models and newer that could give the full NMEA 2000 interface information...
    I hope it works for you......I recently set up my new 140 with the Garmin network and it's bloody brilliant.

Dan

Good point Dan - Geoff - youd better check with Suzuki to make sure your 2006 model year engine can talk in NMEA200 language before you buy anything.

Email Brownspoint Suzuki (USA) and they will know for sure.

GeorgeJansen@brownspoint.com

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Emailed brownspoint Suzuki tonight. Hopefully I can interface a 2006 model. I know it has the older large round diagnostic port

K6 engines should be fine with the EP20, you may need to run the earlier software on the EP20 as Suzuki did change some calibration in K8 onwards and that is what caused some fuel rate information issues on all plotters/sounders (garmin, lowrance, raymarine etc) until they released the Ver 2.0 software for the EP20. I think from memory it is the K5 and before models that dont have the programming in the ECM for outputting data. My DF150 is a K7 and had no problems - plug n play with the Lowrance 7200C after a little set up work in the Lowrance menu.