Thread: Coral Sea marine reserve on the way

Coral Sea marine reserve on the way

Coral Sea marine reserve on the way
    • November 25, 20116:41AM

THE world's largest marine park is set to be created in the area of the Coral Sea included in Australia's Exclusive Economic Zone.

Environment Minister Tony Burke said the Coral Sea was recognised across the world as a marine region of significance, with the area within Australian waters remaining in near pristine condition.
    Mr Burke said the proposed Coral Sea Commonwealth Marine Reserve would cover 989,842 square kilometres, more than half the size of Queensland.
    The nearest point is more than 60km from the coast with the proposed park extending out 1100km. Recreational and charter fishing would be permitted on its western side.
    "Australia's vast oceans provide a source of food and resources and are a place of recreation, but we cannot afford to be complacent," Mr Burke said.
    "In the space of one lifetime, the world's oceans have gone from being relatively pristine to being under increasing pressure."

Mr Burke said the Coral Sea's environmental significance lay in its diverse array of coral reefs, sandy cays, deep-sea plains and canyons. It contains more than 20 outstanding examples of isolated tropical reefs, sandy cays and islands.
    He said there was no other part of Australia's territory where so much came together - pristine oceans, magnificent coral and military history.
    But some important species found in the Coral Sea were under pressure from over-harvesting and habitat degradation.
    "Australia has a unique opportunity to protect this precious marine environment for future generations," the minister said.
    "That's why our Marine Bioregional Planning Program is so important. It is more than conservation - it's about making sure the future of our oceans is one of strength and resilience."
    Mr Burke said the proposed Coral Sea Marine Reserve was the final component of the government's proposed network of marine reserves around Australia.
    "Although we are still to complete our consultation process and declare a final network, Australia is on track to deliver a world-leading system of marine reserves which will include examples of all the different marine ecosystems and habitats found in Australian waters," he said.
    Mr Burke said there would now be a a further opportunity for stakeholders and regional communities to have their say.
    "We extended the 60-day consultation period to 90 days to ensure people have every opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed Coral Sea Marine Reserve," he said.
    "The feedback and input the government receives will assist in finalising the proposal."

Re: Coral Sea marine reserve on the way

Bob Brown is grinning his crooked smile from ear to ear and Gillard does not know why.
    Jack.

"The feedback and input the government receives will assist in finalising the proposal."

I had to reword this as I realised that there might be underage people viewing this thread. This is the watered down, summarised version:

Go #$% yourself. I dont believe u for a second Mr. Burke.

Could anyone with an interest in fishing in the Coral Sea please fill out this online submission. It is not too painful and easy to do. I focussed on potentially losing Mellish Reef and Kenn Reef as green zones. A lot of the other remote reefs are yellow zones in this draft. You might feel strongly that they should be blue zones. Up to you but please put something in or the weight of numbers from the greenies will beat us.

http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts...-coralsea.html

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Bob Brown is grinning his crooked smile from ear to ear and Gillard does not know why.

Because its Christmas of course...

how-the-grinch-stole-christmas.jpg

And there is more to come - complementary Green zones in inshore state waters. Vicky Darling, Environment Minister in the Bligh Labor government, when speaking about the Gulf zoning, said she would bring in complementary zoning in inshore state waters. So will there be complementary zoning in state waters along the entire length of the coral sea, it seems very likely.
    And then the Labor-Green alliance, driven by radical international environment groups will tell us in Qld that we need to protect all remaining Qld offshore waters from Hervey Bay to the Tweed, and with complementary zoning in inshore state waters. There goes the fishing !!! Over to you guys - make your vote count this election. Only an LNP govt can secure the right of rec fishers to fish, while balancing fisheries sustainability.
    Regards,
    Mark

Mark wrote
    Only an LNP govt can secure the right of rec fishers to fish, while balancing fisheries sustainability.

Bugger the "sustainability" I don't want "status quo."
    I want a better fishery,,,,I want more fish for everybody.
    If you are not planning to improve things. You are wasting your time.And you will not get my vote.
    If you cannot say at the end of your term "I put in place things that will continue to improve fishing for everyone for ever you have failed to perform your office IMO.
    That, should be your goal and nothing less

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    And there is more to come - complementary Green zones in inshore state waters. Vicky Darling, Environment Minister in the Bligh Labor government, when speaking about the Gulf zoning, said she would bring in complementary zoning in inshore state waters. So will there be complementary zoning in state waters along the entire length of the coral sea, it seems very likely.
    And then the Labor-Green alliance, driven by radical international environment groups will tell us in Qld that we need to protect all remaining Qld offshore waters from Hervey Bay to the Tweed, and with complementary zoning in inshore state waters. There goes the fishing !!! Over to you guys - make your vote count this election. Only an LNP govt can secure the right of rec fishers to fish, while balancing fisheries sustainability.
    Regards,
    Mark
    Mark ithought this was a fishing forum not a liberal party tool to get votes with scare mungering ,and are the LNP going to do what the victorian liberals have done with the massive boating licence increases and they said to the rec fishers down there trust us we will look after you........... NOT.....ill bet my right hand that the LNP will bring in a licence for the rec fishers that will cost so much that the average person wont be able to afford it, that will be the balanceing of the fisheries sustainablitity only the wealthy will be able to fish.
    Last edited by chris69; 14-12-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding more

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Mark ithought this was a fishing forum not a liberal party tool to get votes with scare mungering ,and are the LNP going to do what the victorian liberals have done with the massive boating licence increases and they said to the rec fishers down there trust us we will look after you........... NOT.....ill bet my right hand that the LNP will bring in a licence for the rec fishers that will cost so much that the average person wont be able to afford it, that will be the balanceing of the fisheries sustainablitity only the wealthy will be able to fish.
    Mark stated in another thread:

Re: Why you don't want a carbon tax as a recreational fisher

Happy to state that the cost to fish in Qld will be less under an LNP govt than under the Labor govt.
    Off the top of my head, 3 reasons:
    1. No carbon tax under Fed and state LN/P.
    2. No rec fishing licence under LNP. I believe state Labor are considering one - the snapper tax was a community feedback exercise.
    3. No hike in boat rego - state govt has almost doubled their revenue from boat rego fees over last 4 years.
    Hope that helps,
    Mark

Seems clear that what Policy we have seen then includes no rego increases, and no RFL. Be careful about that right hand...

But of course there is always the spectre of the backflip, or the core promise! Though I think that the LNP in Qld will be very careful about their treatment of Fishos. Why? Our numbers are far greater than in any other State. Right now the LNP are saying things we should be liking regarding Fishing, and the other side are most definitely NOT. I cannot for the life of me see why we would thus lampoon the LNP, and say nothing about Labor/Green. They seem to get off scott free.

Again I say thankyou to Mark for being the only Politican who is prepared to get on this site and engage with us. The only one. Hmmm, maybe I should count that again. Yep, the only one.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Well Tim we will soon find out i think the state election is about 3mths away, if the tunnle digger gets in he might have a different veiw on the rec fishers as apposed to Marks veiw,with out my right hand that will be a bit harder to wind those fish in, i have no problems with a fishing licence if it was fair say $100 for 5years i dont want to be doing it every year, but its the kids just wanting to go fishing and cant because they have not got the money for a licence and as it is now im paying a recrational tax or fee with my boat rego so to me this is a fishing licence.

@Timiboy - thanks for correcting the record on what I have said the LNP will do. as far as i am concerned, with what we have said to date, we have set the pace for rec fishers and no other party has matched it.
    @Chis69 - Bligh govt ministers have publicly stated that they support the Coral Sea closure (and by inference other closures - Temperate East etc). They have also said they will bring in complementary zoning - this is on the record - so are your saying I shouldn't quote them and make rec fishers aware of their intention should they be re-elected?
    @rando - I am open to specific suggestions about how you feel I could improve things should I become Qld's next Fisheries minister.
    Mark

I realise Mark, that you do not have time to browse these boards,but i have already stated in detail how I think things should go forward .
    See the LNP policy thread.
    My view is vindicated by the NSW Govt rolling out a marine restocking program starting with 7 species into 87 estuaries across the state.
    The plan is to refine the stocking program and methods using the initial 7 species then expand it with further species as the science proves itself.Initial phase is likely to have up to a 7 year term. I have posted a link to the relevant EIS commissioned to facilitate the program in the aforementioned thread.

Qld should do the same ,,,, only better.
    After all. Its in our DNA to kick their arses
    If you want to sit down with me for a chat & a coffee I am available,0448008069
    regards
    rando

How about start with buying back all inshore netting licences back and promoting QLD as the recreational fishing tourism destination of the world?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.