Thread: simrad nss8 fuel flow sensor

simrad nss8 fuel flow sensor

hi all
    I' ve had the NSS8 for a month running only as a chart plotter for now and am wanting to hook up fuel flow. Wondering if i can use the Lowrance EP-60R with the lowrance nema 2000 starter kit or do i have to run it through the SIMNET/NEMA 2000?

Also have a 585 can that be hooked through the t joiners or another way? where would i get a plug for the 585 as it only has the brown/ black/ blue/ orange/ bare wires.
    Linking the 585 wont give me much advantage other than depth and speed (speed i can get from gps) as the transducer is a 600w through hull so don't think its worth the effort of linking up.
    Down the track ill get a 1kw transducher and hds8 to run as fishfinder screen through the nss8 also a radar.
    Any input is greatly appreciated as i haven't had a chance to get to the electronics shop yet but i know from reading these forums there is a gr8 amount of knowledge on here..
    CHEERS AGAIN.....MICK

Re: simrad nss8 fuel flow sensor

Hi Mick

NMEA 2000 is the same no matter whose version/make it is. So if you already have a NMEA2k network on your boat you'll simply be able to connect the EP60r to the network by adding another T piece ( should come with the EP device).

Your other option re getting fuel data onto the NSS is if your engine is N2k capable, then you add an engine interface cable and you then get all kinds of engine data plus fuel flow onto the NSS screen. If possible, this would be the better option IMO.

585 isn't nmea2k capable so you won't be able to get it onto your n2k network, unfortunately.

Down the track if you add a HDS8 you can add it to your existing N2k network, again, just add a T piece and cable to connect it and you're done.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....