Thread: How difficult to set up a depth sounder?

How difficult to set up a depth sounder?

Hi all.
    Looking at buying a depth sounder for the tinny. I'm willing to spend between 200 to 300 bucks and I realize what that will/wont get me... however. Is it something I can do myself? I'm pretty competent when it comes to mechanical stuff, have my moments with electrical stuff, but am a whiz at following directions. It's more the positioning of the transducer. Is there a set rule as to where to position it, and is this going to be the same on all craft. I will be fishing mainly the northern end of the Pumistone Passage.... The boat currently has no battery and no electrics at all, so I would also like to set up nav lights while I am at it. Easy? or should I just take it to someone and say "go for it". This would obviously cut into the budget somewhat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pipifin

Re: How difficult to set up a depth sounder?

ooh, am looking at the Garmin 300c or the Lowrance mark5x if installing myself...... if someone else is doing it then the quality of fishfinder obviously will drop.

Do it yourself most manuals have directions on where and how to mount the tranny
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

totally agree with Stuie63, once you have the unit,, sit back with it for a bit and play around on exactly where you wont the unit to fit,,, if its going into an open tinny take into consideration water spray,, sunlight,, and so forth. I've seen a few ppl jump in and mount the gear straight away and only to find out later that something has broken due to an accidental bump,, or a rain fall soaking it etc etc. Installation tho should not be a problem for you if your following the directions,,, there quite simple to follow

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE