Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LNP Fishing policy

LNP Fishing policy

Accidently (lol!!) leaked to the CM.

ING bans will be overturned in pristine marine areas, including Moreton Bay, under a controversial LNP plan to lure the vote of anglers enraged by restrictions. The plan, which has not yet gone to Shadow Cabinet for approval, was outlined in a confidential document inadvertently emailed to The Courier-Mail yesterday by an LNP electorate officer.
    The minutes from a policy committee meeting held last Friday show the LNP plans to allow amateur fishers, using one line per person, back into protected inshore marine national parks or "green zones".
    The committee deferred its final decision to a later meeting.
    Green zones have been enforced in the Great Sandy Marine Park near Hervey Bay since 2006, and were expanded in Moreton Bay in 2009.
    Anglers face $500 fines if caught fishing, crabbing or netting in banned waters.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Recommended Coverage

Fishing ban for Moreton Bay

FISHING is set to be banned in parts of Moreton Bay until government scientists can be sure the plume of mud and debris washed out of the Brisbane River by the flood is not polluting seafood.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The zones angered thousands of amateur southeast fishers and the LNP is now trying to hook their vote by expanding on a 2009 promise by former leader Lawrence Springborg to suspend the bans.
    The Campbell Newman-led LNP also plans to cap boat registration fees and hold a government inquiry into recreational fishing if it wins the upcoming state poll.
    Fisheries Minister Craig Wallace yesterday labelled the LNP "environmental wreckers" who would put the sustainability of Queensland's fish stocks at risk.
    Queensland Conservation Council secretary Simon Baltais condemned as irresponsible the plan to allow full access to Moreton Bay, saying about 84 per cent of the marine park was already under intense pressure from fishing.
    Opposition fisheries spokesman Mark Robinson had presented the policy to the Shadow Cabinet expenditure review and policy committee.
    Mr Robinson said yesterday he was "jumping on a plane" and could not comment.

Re: LNP Fishing policy

I liked the accidentally leaked bit also.

Strange, when I was a kid I remember writing a school essay on the growing influence of green politics in Australia.
    The teacher said I did not understand what I had written...many years later it seems I was on the money.

But now! look at the state of green politics.
    The politics has become more important than the objectives and aims of the actual decisions being made.
    It can't be good.

Yes. A couple of points:

- We will be allowed back into State proclaimed Green Zones, 1 hook one line per person. Seems to me that would be a BIG win.

- We will have capped registrations on boats. Seems to me that would be a BIG win.

A "leaked policy" would be more complete than the detail we've been given, so why is the detail so scant? Here are my ideas:

- detail has been left out by the Reporter, why? There will be many other elements in the policy, or Mark's done nothing since he started travelling from the Tip to the Tweed consulting with the Angling Community. Why were those elements not in the article? Will we get a drip feed from this Reporter? Or did the Reporter simply write on the elements that supported her agenda? I'm sure there is stuff about sustainability (swear word), Arties, Scientific Study, and more in the leak. But none of that would have been good copy to a Greenly Bent Reporter now, would it?

- had Mark been responsible for this leak, it wouldn't have gone to this reporter, given her obvious sympathies. There is no comment from anyone in Angling or the LNP, yet Craig Wallace got a flag, as did Bolt Arse. I'd bet London to a brick she'd have managed to speak to someone from the LNP if she'd tried. Additionally, had this been leaked on purpose, the LNP would have been dead set ready to comment. I know Mark flew to Townsville and back yesterday to speak at a Fishing Forum, so the fact he was flying is spot on.

I see this as Policy moving in the right direction for us, though I look forward to seeing the rest of the Policy.

As a side note I found it amusing watching Anna on the TV last night, saying the LNP had to start releasing some costings. In the same breath she then stated that she would be releasing Labor costings closer to the Election. What's good for the Goose, eh, Anna?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Earth to Tim, Earth to Tim, come in Tim, please remove LNP goggles.

A couple of years ago the LNP said they would defenitly be allowing 1 rod per angler in Green Zones if they get into Gov, your lord and master told me this himself down at Cleveland one morning (remember Mark, I shook your hand and thanked you), and I think you've mentioned it before on Ausfish yourself Tim. Now all of a sudden a policy commitee is kicking around the idea and has deferred its final decision to a later meeting. How did we get from "good as gold" to a final decision will be made sometime in the future.

Politics 1o1 Tim, they're seeing how it goes over with the wider (non fishing) community before it becomes a policy, that's why the LNP leaked it in the 1st place. They've now cornered Anna into a position on the matter (as expected she put sh#t on the idea today) now they'll see what the public think before they make their next move. If there's a bad response we may never hear of it again, if there's not many waves or it's received well I'm sure it will go through.
    Personally I hope it does become LNP policy, it's a smart idea and allmost as good as Katter's plan to slash the amount and size on the green Zones (esp GBR)

Cheers

For what its worth, The LNP and Katter are floating our boat atm. I simply donot see a policy that remotely protects and promote rec fish from the left of politic.
    Also as a boat(s) owner, I've been screwed over for lots of $$$ for very little in my area, capping boat rego is a step in the right direction. we've been screwed to pay for "claim work" done by the current govt.
    I dont see too many "road" bicycles owners sticking their hands in their pockets for all the new bikeways-lanes I see getting built around the places.
    I take my hat of to Mark and all those around him for doing what they have done so far and I hope the outcome reflects the good intention that it was originally.
    I've seen Mark get hands on, at meeting in community hall near where I work, taking questions from the average man of the street and responding to them with dignity and respects.
    I've have never seen this from anyone else who is currently in power atm doing this, until Craig Wallace log on and tell it how he see it. Directly engages with rec fishos and listen to their concern as Mark did.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I spent an hour last week talking the the LNP's Trevor Ruthenberg about the LNP aims for environment, industry, fishing and youth.
    I came away with some answers for some questions, but still think there is more for them to consider to change the way of the state dramatically. Still, at the moment I feel it will be a LNP vote that I cast. I can't see myself opting for Katters party yet. I like the guy and some of his principles are quite good, but I don't see the force in the candidates standing behind him yet. I have a suspicion he will be the head of another democrat party of sorts, lots of air and noise with little political pull.
    Jack.

agreed, the labour side of things isn't exactly offering recreational anglers much other than red herrings on crab limits. however this LNP "leak" isn't much more than just another political stunt. it's really just saying "lets leak a tidbit of info out there that will hopefully apease the recreational anglers".

we are already suss on the lack of firm policy on recreational angling from the LNP, but this leak has to make you start questioning whether there is any "new" policy or indeed any policy at all. the proper management of the marine environment and the fishing resource goes way deeper than some sort of cheap stunt allowing female mud crabs to be taken or allowing people to use a single line in a green zone. where's the real substance you clowns, this is just a case of responding to an ALP cheap stunt with a LNP cheap stunt. it's an insult to the intelligence of normal people.

Hi Mark MP-LNP, & possibly future? , & worthy? , Fish-Minister candidate ,
    a Q. for you that I DO NEED an answer too please......

Will the present RMDL a.k.a. "Boat Licence" remain a one-time cost for the successful exam participant. ?

i.e. Please reassure me , it won't become a LNP Cash-Cow....please.

If MP Mark is in the mood to answer some question, what I'd like to know is if the LNP wind up the Qld Freshwater SIP Scheme, what will they be replacing it with?

Mike and Gazz if recent history has taught us anything,well you know how it goes. Waiting waiting waiting. But the grenades keep coming endlessly.

Timi does a better job at it, seriously.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I like the "if Mark answers..." That my friends is a fantasy that is related to the "once upon a time" fantasies young people are regailed with at bedtime. Sleep tight.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I like the "if Mark answers..." That my friends is a fantasy that is related to the "once upon a time" fantasies young people are regailed with at bedtime. Sleep tight.
    Classic..and so true.

The next State election will be interesting..the sitting Member (ALP) has started to get the ball rolling on a couple of issues..mainly some traffic congestion issues. Other than that he has not done anything.
    So..would I vote for him..dunno.

The LNP candidate ...based on his current position I doubt I could vote for him..his views are not not mine.

I do not know who else would be standing...but I also heard on the radio today Mr. Newman stating something about tourism..yet he said he could not put figures to it as he did not know the state of the economy. Okay.we have an opposition that wants to be Government but has no idea of the economy. We also have a current Government who also have no idea of the economy and they hold the purse strings. Yhe way I see it..no matter who wins the next election we won;t be any better off...nothing will change except for the name on the Premier's door perhaps.

Why would the LNP come out making statements and in the same breath saying they do not know how they can achieve said policy because they do not know the State of the economy.

They have all lost me..can someone just come out and say..WE WILL DO THIS THIS AND THIS.

boat rego's capped??? How high is the cap?? What does capped mean exactly??
    Boat rego's are capped now.
    I hate when the word capped is used. Why not quote figures??

Good point about the SIP Mike. A question I'd like to hear the answer to.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Just more political propaganda to sway you in the LNP direction.