Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: LNP Fishing policy

Re: LNP Fishing policy

some seem to think that a rfl will be the cure all. Does anyone really think that a Govt of any persuasion will put that money aside and only use it for rec fishing? NSW doesn't..they give some to Unis for research..let the Unis find their own research funds. Most of the money from a rfl would just go into consolidated revenue..nothing will stop that if a Govt so desires. Also, as I and LP have stated..population and coastline does not even make the NSW rfl look feasible for Qld.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    some seem to think that a rfl will be the cure all. Does anyone really think that a Govt of any persuasion will put that money aside and only use it for rec fishing? NSW doesn't..they give some to Unis for research..let the Unis find their own research funds. Most of the money from a rfl would just go into consolidated revenue..nothing will stop that if a Govt so desires. Also, as I and LP have stated..population and coastline does not even make the NSW rfl look feasible for Qld.
    I think you'll find that the vast majority is spent on fishing - certainly not just ending up in consolidated revenue as it goes into a trust and is managed by a committee . This committee decides on where the funds go & where grants are given.
    This is much better than what we have in Qld
    As for managing a coastline - why wouldn't you spend the greater amounts at the largest population centers initially - now that would also include , Cairns , Townsville , Gladstone , Bundaberg etc etc ........... over time this can be expanded further .
    A well managed RF trust would be a massive improvement than the current mickey mouse scheme

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I think you'll find that the vast majority is spent on fishing - certainly not just ending up in consolidated revenue as it goes into a trust and is managed by a committee . This committee decides on where the funds go & where grants are given.
    This is much better than what we have in Qld
    As for managing a coastline - why wouldn't you spend the greater amounts at the largest population centers initially - now that would also include , Cairns , Townsville , Gladstone , Bundaberg etc etc ........... over time this can be expanded further .
    A well managed RF trust would be a massive improvement than the current mickey mouse scheme

Chris
    what about the remainder of the State? A bloke that lives in some out of the way place is entitled to as much as anyone else if he paysthe same license fee.

here are some examples of the NSW rfl ay work :

L56
    Examination of recreational fishing fatalities in NSW 2002 to 2007- aims to identify, describe and compare all fishing related drowning deaths in NSW.
    Royal Life Saving Society
    $67,000

DPI46
    Investigating the behavioural response to grey nurse sharks to recreational lure and baited lines - examines the interactions between particular fishing methods and the species.
    NSW DPI
    $228,570
    $185,946
    $28,146

that is a good one..given over 400k to DPI

DPI56
    Evaluating the recreational fisheries of Recreational Fishing Havens and other key recreationally-fished estuaries in NSW – assessment of long term changes in Recreational Fishing Havens and key recreational fishing species.
    NSW DPI

$139,788
    $146,743
    $75,278

even more to DPI

I love this one:

L79
    Why do anglers decide not to renew their recreational fishing licence? A statewide survey of licence churn.
    Hamata Pty Ltd
    $42,498

the list is endless..and who makes up the controlling committee..and are they elected by every license holder or appointed by whoever?

they give some to Unis for research..
    What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    lots..why should a re fishing license money go to research at a Uni?

lots..why should a re fishing license money go to research at a Uni?
    Part of the rfl goes to research. Uni's are a legitimate research provider so why shouldn't they apply for funding?

what about the remainder of the State? A bloke that lives in some out of the way place is entitled to as much as anyone else if he paysthe same license fee.

here are some examples of the NSW rfl ay work :

L56
    Examination of recreational fishing fatalities in NSW 2002 to 2007- aims to identify, describe and compare all fishing related drowning deaths in NSW.
    Royal Life Saving Society
    $67,000

DPI46
    Investigating the behavioural response to grey nurse sharks to recreational lure and baited lines - examines the interactions between particular fishing methods and the species.
    NSW DPI
    $228,570
    $185,946
    $28,146

that is a good one..given over 400k to DPI

DPI56
    Evaluating the recreational fisheries of Recreational Fishing Havens and other key recreationally-fished estuaries in NSW – assessment of long term changes in Recreational Fishing Havens and key recreational fishing species.
    NSW DPI

$139,788
    $146,743
    $75,278

even more to DPI

I love this one:

L79
    Why do anglers decide not to renew their recreational fishing licence? A statewide survey of licence churn.
    Hamata Pty Ltd
    $42,498

the list is endless..and who makes up the controlling committee..and are they elected by every license holder or appointed by whoever?
    I couldn't be bothered going through the website ........ but if you took off your blinkers , you could also list hundreds of worthwhile projects that have been funded by the RFL.
    Yes the DPI receives a fair whack of funding through the RFL ...... It was always meant to (like the breeding and stocking of mulloway , prawns etc...... all possible because of the RFL funding)
    as far as I am aware - the committees are made up of high profile / respected people from various sectors / regions / stakeholders - that represent the fishing , boating , diving community - along with government. You know yourself there are many committees around that effect our daily lives........ rarely do we have any input!.
    Anyhow ....... As you have pointed out - people in NSW can see where their RFL fees are going ......... If you dont like it , you can approach the members of the committee and protest

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

As I have said before, I am happy to interact with rec fishers and the feedback is helpful. I can answer some questions, but many will have to wait until into the new year - partly because we are still actively consulting the fishing public and have not concluded our policy formation on some items. Other matters need to wait until closer to the election which is supposed to be by March, but Captain Bligh could hold on as late as mid-June. Some feel that is what she will do. In starting a thread, like on facebook, my aim is to generate a discussion, but that does not mean I am obliged to answer every question. Happy to be here - maybe you can get Vicky Darling, Labor environment minister, and she can answer questions about her plans to introduce complementary zoning to all of the federal bioregional zones - the Gulf, Coral Sea and in time the Temperate East (south of the reef past the Tweed). Or talk to Craig Wallace, Labor fisheries minister, and he can answer why he and all the Labor MPs voted for snapper bans, and whether he would do it again after the next election?? I can answer those questions for the LNP - no plans for complementary green zones, no plans for snapper bans ... does anyone like that policy ??????

Yer Mark i like the bans i dont mind the new snapper regs,there a slow growing fish and if you have caught 4 snapper and one is over 70cm you have alot of meat, you can only have so much in your freezer, with a influx of regestered boats in qld something had to be done, for the LNP to take that ban away the stocks will go backwards with a open slather mentality, have a think about it, your only saying this to gain favour by saying the LNP will take away the bans ,someone has to be the bad guy by doing it and have the guts too by looking at it as a senceable thing to do before its to late.

The green zones in morten bay are there and the areas that are, like the spitfire banks are fine nothing lives there so why not leave it the greenies are happy and the other zones hold sea grass and thats importent stuff if you didnt no, some areas are go slow zones for this reason because turtles and dugong live there and eat the seagrass, is the LNP saying that they dont care about these creatures.

perhaps others are blinkered Chris and don't care where their money goes...like not reading the entire site yet saying everything is hunky dory.

so you reckon the Qld Govt could be trusted with this...yeah right. Just have a look at Qld health and tell me this mob are fiscally competent.

Firstly, I'd have thought that anyone coming on here and joining a discussion would have the capacity to read and comprehend what was being written, and be prepared to offer objective answers. In some cases I don't find that to be the case - if a person has determined they are going to pursue an ideology for the sake of it, I have little if any respect for them.

I would never, and have never denigrated anyone for their quality of spelling. Insults are where you find them - I have little respect for Political Correctness, or those who practice it. If you choose to read things a certain way, your problem, not mine.

As for my Wife, and what she suffered at the hands of another, it is up to the reader to assess any similarity between my actions here and what was done to her. Allow me to summarise: I am prepared to tell people what I think when they are overtly and unreasonably demanding, after they enter a public forum of their own free will - and none of those people are inexperienced in the thrust and parry of this forum. Compare that then with a gentle Lady with a serious Mental illness, who never discusses anything with anyone because she gets confused easily, who is heavily medicated, under near full time care and often hospitalised because of her fragility. This person, while knowing all that, took strips off her anyway, for something she did not actually do. Then when she rang to try to understand the situation, this person - knowing a fair bit of her condition - was utterly intractible. If any of you see similarities between the two cases, then I rest my case regarding comments I've made regarding intellect. If you don't agree with my summation, that's fine, but I would appreciate my Wife's condition not being brought up here every time someone thinks I'm being a bit harsh. If you took the time to understand that little issue, I think you'd realise it's not kosher, anywhere.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yer Mark i like the bans i dont mind the new snapper regs,there a slow growing fish and if you have caught 4 snapper and one is over 70cm you have alot of meat, you can only have so much in your freezer, with a influx of regestered boats in qld something had to be done, for the LNP to take that ban away the stocks will go backwards with a open slather mentality, have a think about it, your only saying this to gain favour by saying the LNP will take away the bans ,someone has to be the bad guy by doing it and have the guts too by looking at it as a senceable thing to do before its to late.

The green zones in morten bay are there and the areas that are, like the spitfire banks are fine nothing lives there so why not leave it the greenies are happy and the other zones hold sea grass and thats importent stuff if you didnt no, some areas are go slow zones for this reason because turtles and dugong live there and eat the seagrass, is the LNP saying that they dont care about these creatures.
    Most people on here don't like the bans it would seem, though you're entitled to your opinion, there doesn't seem to be a lot to back up the decision to go to 4 Snapper, and the slot size will have mortality issues in deep water that don't seem clearly understood at this stage. Interesting that you have the right to decide how much meat a person can have in his/her freezer? Who made you the "arbiter?"

The LNP have stated previously I believe that they would not change the 5 fish bag until they better understood the situation. How is that open slather?

The LNP have stated they will allow 1 hook one line per person in Green Zones until the Science is better understood. Your assertion that the Green Zones are fish free is incorrect - ask Webby about which areas he has lost where he used to catch good fish.

Where has the LNP stated they will remove the Go Slow Zones? They haven't even implied that! And why would they? You comment makes no sense at all, and is simply a blind lash out. In any case, on the very few instances where Dugongs have been hurt/killed, it's ferries that are responsible, the size of prop (where there was prop damage) in nearly every case was over 400mm in diameter, you don't find props that size on too many trailer boats, eh? But why let the Truth get in the way of a good rant?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Part of the rfl goes to research. Uni's are a legitimate research provider so why shouldn't they apply for funding?
    Agreed, to a point. In many cases these days Unis have allowed themselves to become Political instruments, and have become Lobbying platforms. Science needs to do a lot of work to win back the trust of the Public.

But I do believe that in most cases Unis are probably the best place to spend research funding, and that an RFL would be a sensible place to source some of that funding if the research were relevant to Angling.

But here's the real joke in all this: we have people carrying on about how much they don't trust Government. So an RFL, even if it has an Independent Board, will be OK? Who chooses the Board? It will always be the Minister, as is the case in NSW I believe. So clearly those who favour a license trust the Government in nothing, except to make sure they will select the appropriate Board, and will never lean on anyone to make changes that suit the Government. Funny, sounds to me like some folks want to have the cake, and eat it too.

Tim

perhaps others are blinkered Chris and don't care where their money goes...like not reading the entire site yet saying everything is hunky dory.

so you reckon the Qld Govt could be trusted with this...yeah right. Just have a look at Qld health and tell me this mob are fiscally competent.
    That is why it needs to be done through an RFL trust ........ make & keep it transparent

as for expenditure and grants - I would be pretty happy to see a qualified committee determine where funding goes .......... so I really dont feel the need to go over everything with a fine toothed comb and pick things out that I may have thought was unnecessary or not worth while in my mind. ...... by the way DPI46 was /is important work (that one I did know about) - it will determine what style of fishing that they will allow around known grey nurse habitats (ie Fish rock , Green Is , Seal Rocks , Black Rock etc etc) where rec fishing has pretty well been shut down except for lure trolling. ..... Everyone bitched about the Rocky Reef closures in Qld & the lack of studies / scientific research ........ yet DPI46 is a prime example of a decent project that will have wider implications based on scientific research .
    Even with that being the case ....... what you have listed may account for maybe 1 or 2% of the funding raised over the 10 or so years but 10's of millions of dollars have been well spent

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

PS ......... qld health is just another example of public servants (Bureaucrats) getting it wrong .......... it happens under every government because those same public servants will probably be there when a new government is elected . We will be saying the same thing in a couple of years time under Can do!.
    NSW had enough under Labor & the Lib/Nats won in a landslide ........... the honeymoon is now over and the Barry O Farrell government is now starting to cop it ...........
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO