Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: LNP Fishing policy

Re: LNP Fishing policy

oh timi, you'll love our local member, she's already completed her "commitment" to recreational anglers. she may however not be in that position according to your timetable of 18-24 months.

I saw a quote from "Sunfish" in B&B, I think.
    The government has collected more than $50 million in PPV levies since the levy was activated.
    Thats an awful lot of licence buy back.

Yeah Rando.

And unfortunately they have used diddlysquat for licence buyback, or any other major rec fishing benefit.

They, (sorry I really hate it when I say the ubiquitous "they") Fisheries Qld and the Qld Government have simply sucked it off us for years and used nearly all of it to replace funding for their core business like research, administration and policing, which SHOULD NOT be paid for directly by rec fishers. They are consolidated revenue responsibilities which any auditors should, and have, advised.

If this is not addressed in LNP policy, then it is not a serious LNP policy. Either they say "We will dedicate the PPV [or Rec Use Fee/Levy or whatever they want to re-badge it as] to rec fishing and stop sucking it off for core business",
    or state
    "We will drop the PPV and the SIPs and make one fair and equitable Rec Fishing License for all of Qld at about the same comparable fee".

I doubt they will do neither of these for 2 very good reasons:
    1. The state is stone motherless broke.
    and
    2. No balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Macks forever View Post
    Yeah Rando.

And unfortunately they have used diddlysquat for licence buyback, or any other major rec fishing benefit.

They, (sorry I really hate it when I say the ubiquitous "they") Fisheries Qld and the Qld Government have simply sucked it off us for years and used nearly all of it to replace funding for their core business like research, administration and policing, which SHOULD NOT be paid for directly by rec fishers. They are consolidated revenue responsibilities which any auditors should, and have, advised.

If this is not addressed in LNP policy, then it is not a serious LNP policy. Either they say "We will dedicate the PPV [or Rec Use Fee/Levy or whatever they want to re-badge it as] to rec fishing and stop sucking it off for core business",
    or state
    "We will drop the PPV and the SIPs and make one fair and equitable Rec Fishing License for all of Qld at about the same comparable fee".

I doubt they will do neither of these for 2 very good reasons:
    1. The state is stone motherless broke.
    and
    2. No balls.
    what fairy tale does that one come from..no such thing.

I think 100% of all boat and trailer regos should go towards, fishing/boating related projects. Fisheries, Boat ramps etc etc etc. Not into consolidated revenue.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

The NSW government has developed a plan for marine restocking. It includes 87 estuaries/embayments across the state, species to be stocked initially will be, yellowfin bream, sand whiting, mulloway, eastern king prawns, blue swimmer crabs , mudcrabs. The plan is to trial with these species till they know how to optimise the program then possibly add more species.
    Here is a link to the EIS commissioned for the roll out of the plan.
    Anyway, the report on this page http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/...tocking/marine

My thanks to JonoSS for providing the information, and my apologies to Lucky Phill for highjacking yet another of his threads , sorry Phill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Mike, happy to answer your question.
    Thanks for that info Mark, I hope the "1 rod in a Green Zone plan" returns to being part of the LNP policy asap.

Also I'm now hearing from several sources that Campbell wants to remove the Qld SIP as it's seen by some as a tax. Assuming freshwater fishing is also your area, can you please, please, nip this one in the bud now for me. Where would freshwater fishing be in Qld without the SIP? Anglers and stocking groups fought for years to get it intruduced. I landed 20 odd bass last Sat morn at Borumba and saw around 30 other anglers out on the water, considering that stocking group only has a few members these days I doubt fishing like that would be possible on Qld dams without the SIPs.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Also I'm now hearing from several sources that Campbell wants to remove the Qld SIP as it's seen by some as a tax. Assuming freshwater fishing is also your area, can you please, please, nip this one in the bud now for me.
    Cheers
    Nooooo. Don't stop there. We all have to pay fees for this. Fees for that. I reckon they're all taxes. Stop the lot of them.
    Paying registration involves a fee. I reckon it's definitely a tax.
    What about the fees you pay to access National Parks?? Tax??
    PPV??
    Gees. The list could go on and on. Get rid of them all....please.
    At least with the SIP some good is done. A lot of good. I just wished the administration fees were reduced.

How many people actually pay their SIP??
    What is done with all our boat rego's?? How much is raised by boat rego's??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

rough figures.

there are 237,000 registered private vessels in Queensland.

Registration fees range from

Up to and including
    4.5 metres (m) A$87.45
    4.51 m - 6 m A$95.20
    6.01 m - 10 m A$286.55
    10.01 m - 15 m A$219.28
    15.01 m - 20 m A$521.55
    20.01 m and over A$656.25

The registration fee includes a A$17.75 recreational use fee collected by Transport and Main Roads on behalf of Primary Industries and Fisheries for a range of functions to enhance recreational fisheries. More information is available from the Primary Industries and Fisheries website.

So, the RUF rakes in about 4.2million

registration on average ( minus RUF ) brings in about 35 plus million dollars.

Add in another 16 million for boat trailer regos

Hope that puts it into perspective on how much this Govt sucks out of us.

FYI..... boat AND trailer regos have increased nearly 200% over the last 3 years.....

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 04-12-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

If recreational fishers are contributing 50 odd million a year in fees and levies, not to mention GST on fishing equipment and related activities. How can a propective fisheries minister plead that the no policy can be discussed until the state of the budget for fisheries is known.
    If it was me running for the job that 50mill /annum would be my minimum starting point + the share of GST derived from fishing related sales + anything else I could beg borrow & steal from consolidated revenue.
    I am sure anyone with a bit of committment could find out what those figures might be.
    I realise of course that the cost of administering the department may exceed those figures.
    Does anyone know if budget figures for government departments are publicly available.?
    If they are, every one of us should be putting the boot into the politicians on what ever platform is available

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    If recreational fishers are contributing 50 odd million a year in fees and levies, not to mention GST on fishing equipment and related activities. How can a propective fisheries minister plead that the no policy can be discussed until the state of the budget for fisheries is known.
    If it was me running for the job that 50mill /annum would be my minimum starting point + the share of GST derived from fishing related sales + anything else I could beg borrow & steal from consolidated revenue.
    I am sure anyone with a bit of committment could find out what those figures might be.
    I realise of course that the cost of administering the department may exceed those figures.
    Does anyone know if budget figures for government departments are publicly available.?
    If they are, every one of us should be putting the boot into the politicians on what ever platform is available
    Sure, 50+ mill goes into Consolidated Revenue right now. A heap of car and truck regos does too, and it's not all spent on roads. Reality says that once the money is identified, a lot of it may be feeding other things, so what else gets cut to give back to the Fishos???

Re GST - that's a Federal Tax. Not relevant to the debate.

And does anyone remember Paul Keating's Black Hole? The fact (inconvenient things, facts) is that we DO NOT know what the true state of the State's finances is, and WILL NOT until after an election and a change in Government. That's how it is. No amount of complaining will change that, it is what it is.

Too many people want easy answers. Go ask a Labor/Green polly, he'll give you an easy off the cuffer to keep you quiet. I like that we have someone who is showing a bit of prudence.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

The point I am making, Tim, is the amount of services being supplied is not proportionate to the contribution made.Therefore we are being screwed.And my understanding of GST revenue is that the states get the gst collected therein.

Go an RFL and be done with it !!!! ..... spend it on fishing / research

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

My personal take is.

NO RFL. ( that is not cast in cement, but there has to be a very very VERY good reason for one. )

If my boat and trailer rego only went up with CPI over the last 3 years it would be around $180.00, but seeing the Govt spent it's $ on who knows what, I have paid an extra $120.00 per year. ( at least )

A NSW RFL is $30 / year.

Taking that into consideration, I feel I have MORE than paid my subscription to any rec fishing infrastructure this Govt would like to put in place. IN fact I have paid 4 times more than a RFL would have gained.

AND, ( again this is a personal view ), why do people still talk about a RFL used to buy back pro licences. ???????????????

as Gus ( boofhead ) Gould would say......... " NO NO NO NO NO ". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pro's paid the Govt for their licence, hence the Govt has their money........... let the Govt buy the licences back with their money ( which, I suppose , is the tax payers $'s anyway ).

I have said it elsewhere, if a licence is not being used ( 12 months ) just take it back. If it is not meeting its quota, take it back.

If some one wants out of the industry......... buy them out.

This is not about the pro's and I am the first to acknowledge we need them, but really, at the recreational anglers expense....... I think not. !!!!!

rando, let's not forget the direct attributable expense that recreational fishing brings in via Tourism................... millions of millions.

The smell of election is getting stronger................ March sounds like a nice month to cast a vote

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    My personal take is.

NO RFL. ( that is not cast in cement, but there has to be a very very VERY good reason for one. )

If my boat and trailer rego only went up with CPI over the last 3 years it would be around $180.00, but seeing the Govt spent it's $ on who knows what, I have paid an extra $120.00 per year. ( at least )

A NSW RFL is $30 / year.

Taking that into consideration, I feel I have MORE than paid my subscription to any rec fishing infrastructure this Govt would like to put in place. IN fact I have paid 4 times more than a RFL would have gained.

AND, ( again this is a personal view ), why do people still talk about a RFL used to buy back pro licences. ???????????????

as Gus ( boofhead ) Gould would say......... " NO NO NO NO NO ". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pro's paid the Govt for their licence, hence the Govt has their money........... let the Govt buy the licences back with their money ( which, I suppose , is the tax payers $'s anyway ).

I have said it elsewhere, if a licence is not being used ( 12 months ) just take it back. If it is not meeting its quota, take it back.

If some one wants out of the industry......... buy them out.

This is not about the pro's and I am the first to acknowledge we need them, but really, at the recreational anglers expense....... I think not. !!!!!

rando, let's not forget the direct attributable expense that recreational fishing brings in via Tourism................... millions of millions.

The smell of election is getting stronger................ March sounds like a nice month to cast a vote

LP.
    As they say ...... what is in the past - will stay in the past!

You know very well that if it has not been spent ...... it wont be!

hence why we need to start afresh !

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO