Thread: Has anyone got their boats or trailers back??

Has anyone got their boats or trailers back??

just wondering what the recovery rate is on this sort of stuff...

cheers

Re: Has anyone got their boats or trailers back??

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    just wondering what the recovery rate is on this sort of stuff...

cheers
    Without going into much detail (and only based on what we were told), my wife's uncles 1 year old Maftercraft ski boat was stolen from his front yard, it was secure and insured but it was taken.
    A few weeks later, (after going down the insurance path) it was seized near Coffs (boat was on gold Coast), it had been stripped, repainted and other visuals modified.
    Insurance did come through, but it did take a very long time. He had also left his wedding band in the boat from the days skiing, a sentimental loss which was not recovered.
    Tight Lines.

I had a look around the local ramp the last time I launched my canoe, and most trailers didn't have any locks on, only safety chains.
    I talked to one guy who said he had a lock somewhere at home, but when i mentioned a trailer was knocked off from here last week, he seemed a bit uneasy setting out on his fishing trip, leaving the new trailer , just sitting there.

I got mine back during the late 1990's - sadly I was not getting support from my insurance company ......6 months later , I spotted the boat within 500m of where I worked getting serviced .... this was 40km from where I lived & where the boat was stolen from.
    Rego changed , boat code added , trailer rego changed (vin removed) - police impounded the boat & I went to court ( withdrawn on the day .... I had too much proof of ownership)
    Oh .... btw then the insurance company came to the party to pay my legal fees and to replace the missing items.

sometimes you get lucky

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Guys,

I had an old Seafarer with a 2 day old engine stolen a few years back.

They cut the lock and chain it was all locked up with.

The damaged boat and trailer were recovered the next day, and the near new engine was recovered 6 months later.

The cop told me they were searching his house on an unrelated matter, and asked the guy why he had an engine (75hp) on a stand in his garage with no boat to be seen. Apparently he turned around and said, it's stolen mate, I bought it for $1000 off some guy.

I got the engine back unharmed, but it still cost me a few k to put it all back together and fix the damage. I was uninsured.

He got a spot in jail for receiving stolen goods. I know he probably stole it, and found out later he was a relative of my neighbour at the time!

Don't trust anyone.

Had a 50 Hp Yammie two stroke tiller steer stolen of the back of the boat overnight at a boat yard in Perth. Sounded suss that my boat was ready for pickup after servicing real late in the arvo (they knew I worked an hour away) and it was parked overnight next to the fence out the back of the yard where the laser alarm sensors don't cover well. I reckon someone just backed a truck down the side fence and lifted it over with a crane. That or it was gone that afternoon already.

The yard called me with the bad news in the morning and just happened to have a 60 four stroke on offer with a scratch on the cover at a nice price.

Never saw it again and the cops were less than interested. Fought the battle with Club Marine for around a month to get a decent payout. Their initial offer was around 2.5K but got them up to around 6K in the end. Lesson learnt that insured value does not equal payout value so changed insurers and went with agreed value.

These days everything is doubly locked up and never leave my boat in a yard for more than the day.

With all the 12 and 24 volt tools around these days if some one want to take something a lock is not going to stop them.

removed to avoid hijacking the thread.
    Jack.