Thread: Kayak ?

Kayak ?

Hey All,

I am looking at buying a kayak and I have no idea.

I have been and looked at the Malibu Mini-x and have looked online at the Sierra on ebay.

The Sierra of ebay looks cool. But does anyone have one and can how good it is.

Here is the link for the ebay one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SIERR...item45fe845d87

Which one should I get

Re: Kayak ?

Hey Mate,

The Sierra one from Ebay looks like good kit for the price. It also appears to have many worthwhile free accesories too.
    The width makes for a stable fishing platform.

The problem I have is that earlier this morning I mailed the seller for more detail ie: length and weight.
    As yet no reply. Usually not a good indication of seller's intentions...

Cheers.

What sort of areas will you be fishing?? Open water, rivers, creeks or lakes? Makes a huge differince in what will suffice and what will suit better.
    Are you intending trolling lures for hours?
    Are you looking at overnighting using the yak to transport your camp gear to the sites?

Once you nominate those criteria, we could make a suitable suggestion.
    Jack.

Go to a local, reputable dealer or even directly to the manufacturer. A couple that spring to mind immediately are Viking Kayaks on the Sunshine Coast and Extreme Kayaks at Caboolture. Both manufacture locally and if you ever have any problems with their products they will bend over backwards to help you out. You will be able to take out a yak for a test paddle to see if it suits you and you're requirements.

There are plenty of other local retailers in all areas as the whole kayak thing has well and truly exploded so you should be able to take any number of different models for a test from a helpful retailer, if they won't let you test them, then find someone who will.

As for the length of the yak in question I think from the ebay photos it would struggle to be any longer than 2.7m, so very very short and probably only really good for creek fishing etc. Also what's with the two different RRP's that this clown is quoting on this yak on the ebay link? One at $1299 and on the top of the page $1599, is he taking the piss? There is no way that this kayak could ever retail for either of those amounts, either that or there is some very stupid consumers out there.....

Kev

hey all,

Thanks for all your input. I am really only interested in using the kayak to go up creeks, rivers and maybe lakes. I think I may go for the ebay one as it comes with seat and paddle

Also do you need to wear a life jacket. What are the rules ?

Amokk, postage on that one is $100 making it a $750 kayak, there are better value kayaks in that price ans size range.
    What area are you located at? There are plenty of choices out there and shipping can be the make or break of the value.
    Jack.

PFD's are not enforced but highly recommended especially if you are on waters with boats zipping around. Lots of boaties tend not to notice kayaks until the last minute. Select a highly visible colour kayak as well is good advice too.
    Jack.

forget anything under 3.5m, around 4m is better you alos dont want wider than about 80cm or its a bitch to paddle as you keep removing fingernails. Forget the Ebay specials and stick to well known brand names it will save you a lot of hassle and good names have better resale value.
    The Malibu kayaks are very good and are pretty good value.

The free paddles you get are only for stirring soup so dont let that sway your decision.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand