Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for new section in forum

Lightbulb Idea for new section in forum

G’day Everyone,
    Just recently I have come across some pretty old fishing gear (ill put pics up later), I know there are places and people that collect these things, but I thought what about an online digital fishing museum??
    We could start it on AF and those that have an item of interest can post a pic and any info.
    May have to be in a different format than normal thread, maybe something like the classified, list of item and description??
    What do you guys think??
    Cheers

Re: Idea for new section in forum

i could put a pic up off ALL my gear,,, including the boat,,, they haven't really been wet in nearly 12 months,,,ha ha,, but i like the concept of this

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Good idea Chong

I know there is a big market for old ishing gear, whether you want to part with it or not I guess the concept sounds OK, at least we could all see some interesting odds and ends that we may never have seen before.

Finga will be right into that,

Could do it in the form of a Product Review forum maybe. But does it need to be in much of a different style to a normal post. I figure it just needs to be in a separate section, or sub forum. It would be a post with description and pics.

Any ideas suggestions welcome.

it could be a sub forum of the tackle section maybe, seeing as it is kind of related to tackle (maybe)

I seem to recall Stripers-on-line having something along these lines; not only popular but helpful for those of us who appreciate older gear..........both to collect, admire and to use as well.
    Personally I love them older reels!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    Could do it in the form of a Product Review forum maybe. But does it need to be in much of a different style to a normal post. I figure it just needs to be in a separate section, or sub forum. It would be a post with description and pics.

Any ideas suggestions welcome.
    Steve,
    just thought that like the classified section you could have, rods, reels, tackle, boats, motors etc. But i think anything would be good. Think it would make an interesting part of our great site...
    Cheers

a museum...no thanks..people would just want to put pics of people like myself and TOL on there.

Good idea Chong.

ok here are some items i have found. first is a javis walker pre -stressed fibre glass rods. 3 pcs. light and heavy, original bag and butt. second is avley tackle box, round one, its not cracked...
    got some more treasure for later if this takes off.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.reelwidow.com/
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...Vintage-Reels.

Yeah Wayno is right. I have a bit of, what he would consider, old gear. I consider it simply as gear I'd use.
    So Chong. Would a Tonkin cane rod made by Lenny Butterworth in 1954 in mint condition (number 15 and only used on two Sunday's by a little old man) complete with original bag, A 4' inch Alvey with original line (used on the Lenny's 15th rod by same old man on the same days as the rod but purchased a year later as he had to save up again) with original line and a Alvey bakelite box (same deal) full of tackle from 1955 with receipts for the lot be what your looking for??
    Or my pop's wall rod with the stepped butt (he built himself) so the overhed reel sat closer to the axis of the rod??
    Or there's a few (about 30) old Alveys sitting in a box and some other side cast reels with one dating from about 1908. It's a Lixall.
    And there's a few old cane creels about and I'm buggered if I know how many rods and other reels that are more then 20-30 years old.
    I look to my right...no literally....I look to my right and there's an original Ugly stick (BWC-1101) sitting next to a Lenny Butterworth Power rod (Coho 9')
    And then there's the pewter Alvey key ring made by Alvey that I still use for Mrs Palmer's keys.

Bloody hell Chong. The houses are full of the stuff when I look about. And then after that we can move out side the living areas to look at the motors and boats and that sort of stuff.

I still use my 2 tiered Alvey tackle box. It's sitting on the dressing table in the bedroom. That's all I need. The Alvey for hooks and swivels and an Eno tin for sinkers.
    A have a couple of spare 2 tiered ones and a few single layer ones sitting in the cupboard. Someone else made the round bakelite tackle boxes. Who was that?? I have a couple of those as well.
    And now for some really useless information....Alvey round tackle boxes are still available new (well they were last time I brought a few a couple of years ago) so don't buy them for mega bucks on ebay.
    Oh sh!t. I near forgot about the yabbi pumps. There's about 6 or 8 yabbi pumps about the place. at least 4 or 5 brass ones.
    I better stop thinking now. Starting to depress me thinking I have to move them all before the house goes on the market

PS: Sleepygreg has a reel I'd love to put with the lot. He has it in storage somewhere and he'll probably know which one I mean
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

so, looks like a meet and greet at finga's place to view the museum of fishing gear hey.

Bloody hell.
    I walk downstairs and inside the door....a 9' Jarvis Walker pre-stressed rod (Mundoo) and sitting on the bench.... A Steelite reel. That's the other mob who made the round bakelite tackle boxes. Steelite.
    There were two yabbi pumps there too. Only stainless ones though.

So Mr Chong. What would you class as old?
    Some people class pre 2010 as old.
    Some more would class pre 2000 as old.
    Some more would consider pre 1970's as old.
    Some would consider pre 1950 as old.
    Me. I'm thinking that mid 60's and older as getting up there in age.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Man...ok...i dont know...its just an idea....anyone who needs a fix on old stuff go to fingas! I run away now...
    Bye