Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wivenhoe Dam Release

Re: Wivenhoe Dam Release

...................yes

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    And will it ever actually be needed? Doubtful...
    do we know ....... I still remember fishing the flood waters below Sydneys warragamba dam 3 times during the late 80s early 90's ........ they decided to build a new spillway to protect the dam - you know what ? The dam has not spilled in one & a half decades!!!!! = even with all the rain Sydney had over the last couple of years - the capacity combined for all sydney dams were below 80%.
    Can anyone tell me the last time wivenhoe spilled prior to this year ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    do we know ....... I still remember fishing the flood waters below Sydneys warragamba dam 3 times during the late 80s early 90's ........ they decided to build a new spillway to protect the dam - you know what ? The dam has not spilled in one & a half decades!!!!! = even with all the rain Sydney had over the last couple of years - the capacity combined for all sydney dams were below 80%.
    Can anyone tell me the last time wivenhoe spilled prior to this year ?

Chris
    No, we don't know if we'll need it. A Bbbbbillion dollars (plus maintenance while standing) is a very hefty insurance price. Let's not also forget that a major reason for building it was the unfounded belief that we were never going to see a lot of rain again, which clearly (and as pointed out by many objective folk on this Forum and elsewhere) was a crock of shit.

When announced, Peter Beatty leaned heavily on Tim Flummery and his predictions of drought for his justification. Many, many people were howling that it was a load of rubbish. Such as it is. A manifest waste of Taxpayers' money.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

The money spent on the desal plant could have built a nice large dam that would fill up with water sent down by Hewy.
    After some water went in some fish could have done what fish do and after a little while we could have gone and fished and skied and done lots of other fun stuff to get us out of the lounge room.
    What have we got now. A potential arti reef that costs mega bucks just to have it's ugly bulk sit just off the prime tourist area of Queensland...the Gold Coast. And that's before it fires a shot in anger. Has anyone got the information on how much it will cost to produce a mega litre of water out of the desal plant?? They're very electricity hungry and the cost of power isn't going down Freddy.
    But it all makes sense to me. It was a decision by a Government.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Please remember that the Lake Wivenhoe we have now is not the Lake Wivenhoe that was completed in the 1980's. The original lake was designed for flood mitigation. It was then discovered that we needed the water so we did not all die of thirst in South East Queensland. The dam wall was raised, and the breakaway plugs built to double the capacity of the dam. This happened less than 10 years ago. What they now call 100% is infact 50% of the dam's total capacity. We now have the 100% available for water supply, and the exact same amount in reserve for flood mitigation. On January 12th last year we needed 100% of the flood mitigation requirement, and it was already holding 100% of the water supply requirement, hence the dam hit 200% which is what it was designed to do. Now, those highly intelligent beings who rely on our votes for their very existance have forgotten the water supply requirement, the drought is old news, and have decided we need 75% for water supply and 125% for flood mitigation.
    Apart from the risk of running out of water, the 75% level makes for a very nice water depth for those interested in trolling a Blitz Baga across the flats!
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

By the way, does anyone remember the platform used by Wayne Goss (Labor) to get elected to the Premier's office in 1989, and subsequent elections until his demise in 1996?

No Dams!!!!!

If he hadn't won, and a Coalition government was elected, we'd have a few annoyed greenies, and a lot more water storage areas.

The Labor Government has never started to build a dam in Queensland, ever!
    Last edited by aussiebasser; 25-11-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    By the way, does anyone remember the platform used by Wayne Goss (Labor) to get elected to the Premier's office in 1989, and subsequent elections until his demise in 1996?

No Dams!!!!!

If he hadn't won, and a Coalition government was elected, we'd have a few annoyed greenies, and a lot more water storage areas.

Yep, and it was Kevin bloody Rudd who signed off on the order NOT to build the Wolfdene dam, which was precisely, completely and totally the stupid, visionless, politically expedient response. But people were lying in front of Dozers in Tasmania at the time, so bending over and taking it up the backside from the Greenies looked a good thing for Labor at the time. The Green Rot had already started.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I know. We call all the new dams FMD's (or flood mitigation devices) so more can be built. People won't stand for more flooding of SE QLDn and will want them built.
    But we'll know FMD actually stands for F%$&en More Dams.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    No Dams!!!!!

Is there a reason you wouldn't count Paradise and Wyaralong Dale?
    And what about Somerset? Labor were in from 1932 to 1957