Thread: spotlight

spotlight

My 15hp 2 stoke Yamaha outboard has a socket for a power outlet while running. I don't know how to use this, do I need some sort of female plug, no boat shop has been able to help me.
    I have a spotlight which I can hook up to a portable battery for use at night to spot my crab floats. Do you reckon I could use the motor outlet to run the spotlight?
    Alternatively what type of battery would be best for running a spotlight?
    Thank you in anticipation of your knowledge and experience.
    Rossy

Re: spotlight

Look up your model number and see if it is a regulated power outlet. Most of the elec start and trim ones have a reg output meant for charging a small battery. They put out very few amps at idle revs so you need a battery as they are not designed to be directly attached to lights etc.

As for battery size it really depends on how long you want to run the light and how much output the motor can put back in while running.

I doubt you could "run" your spotlight off the motor output, it will be (at best) a low output to charge a battery, so you will need to find out if you need just a harness type of thing to connect the battery, or a whole setup, your Yamaha dealer will put you right.

What i believe is supplied at that socket is 80watts of AC current. A rectifier will be necessary if a battery is to be charged. There are 2 Yamaha rectifiers available for your motor.

676-81970-01 NON REGULATED at about $70.00
    6H2-81960-00 REGULATED at about $170.00 plus a set of battery leads will need to be made up with fuse etc.

Regards, RTFM1000