Thread: marlin,dollie, mackeral grounds

Thumbs up marlin,dollie, mackeral grounds

Hi All
    Can anyone point me into the grounds that hold such fish as small marlin, dollies etc. out the back of moreton island. I've heard they get caught on 100-200mtrs of water. I know of deep tempest etc. but do u just start trolling contour lines out there or is it in certain areas?
    It's all new to me and wanting to give this type fishing a go this season.
    Any help will be appreciated!
    Zorro1

Re: marlin,dollie, mackeral grounds

Hutchies would be your go mate or up off Mooloolaba..
    Good Luck Brendan....................

Yeah mate, Hutchison Shoal in 37-50m and on that depth all the way Sth of the Cape to Henderson Rock.
    If you want a "catch em all" spread. Run 2 laser pro's off the flat lines and 2 6" skirted lures out the back, off the outriggers if you have them.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Hi Brendan & Myles
    thanks fellas - i just purchased a set of outriggers of Stuie (of ausfish) with relax running gear - plus bought some x raps magnums & hex head & resin head skirts
    Thinking of trolling around hutchies then over to around the cape - brennan shoals etc. and back and see whats "hungry'

Is there certain moon phases better for trolling or tide times for these areas - i know the early morning & late in the day a more productive.
    thanks for the info
    Darren

If you're after hoo, as Brendan said hutchies is definitely the go but if you're after those beaked creatures, it may be worth getting away from the crowd and trolling the 70-100m east of hutchies or the trench. Rumor has it that there has been 1 tagged in the trench already, and a good friend of mine got a few sails and a black off the sunny coast on sat.

There's good numbers of beakies, dollies and tuna off Coffs, so I can't see why they wouldn't be off Goldy.

Check ya PM's Zorro

Your plan sounds good. I like the time at or about the full and new moons for the Wahoo and Spaniards, and yeah the bite at Hutchies is always a sure thing at sun down. Just drive around the ledges that are holding the bait.

Trolling past all the structure around that area and down past the Cape to the south can produce the goods too.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Myles

thanks for the info fellas - going to give it a good crack in the next few weeks weather permitting -
    Can anyone give me genuine marks for the trench - i know ther in the books but are they correct?
    Thanks again
    Zorro

The trench can be hit an miss. It is only bait schools there that hold the fish, by that I mean, not a lot of structure. But if yup drive out of the North East Channel and turn right towards Hutchies and zig zag along the edge of the drop off from the banks, you will find the bait if it is there. Check out the charts, there are a couple of areas there where the contour lines are tight, target these areas. I have caught good fish there on schools of bonito, but I have seen it a marine desert more times than not.... Find the bait, find the fish

Cheers,
    Myles

Patske, who is your mate and what area was he fishing? He would be the first person out of here this season to catch em so far i reckon.