View Poll Results: Are you a Member or would you like to be?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coastguard Member

58 30.05%
  • VMR Member

72 37.31%
  • Will look at Getting a Membership

54 27.98%
  • Not interested

9 4.66%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coastguard or VMR Membership

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Loz View Post
    What really drives me mad is that you guys won't join together, so we only pay one fee and are covered Australia wide. I am a member at Southport but go fishing at Mooloolabah, 1770, Iluka, Yeppoon and Tweed Heads. No one in right mind could join them all. Imagine if you went on fishing safari around whole country. Ridiculous system, but love the work you do. Please get together. Loz.]
    If you join one they normally pay any towing fee if you need to get picked up elsewhere.

Member of sandgate vmr, also has the advantage of secure parking .

Re: Coastguard or VMR Membership

Quote Originally Posted by themerlin View Post
    If you join one they normally pay any towing fee if you need to get picked up elsewhere.
    Don't bet on it.

How far away can I call on VHF? If I joined Manly CG and I was putting in at Jacobs Well could I raise Manly on 73 or would I need to use the repeater channel 21?

Why bother Manly when I am at Jacobs Well? The reason is the registration details. I would like whoever is logging me to have all the details. Emergency contacts, boat description, car and trailer rego etc. Maybe I should join two mobs.

I wish we had the NSW database arrangement. It certainly is technically feasible.

I asked about dropping a form in 'the box' at Manly but was told that isn't done anymore.

So I am thinking of joining Jacobs Well VMR and Brisbane (Manly) Coast Guard. At least that covers most of my travels sorta.

Now I have to think of a name for the boat because I can't stand reciting my boats rego on the air.

Redcliff seem to use member numbers as ID. Can I use my boats name to log on at Manly and Jacobs Well? (if they use ID numbers then I don't need a boat name)

WAL,

If you are down at Jacobs Well 21 prob wont do much for you as the Repeater is on Cape Moreton. Try calling them on 16 then they will move you over to the local working channel.

At Redcliffe the members can log on using there Membership Number as it gives us quick access to their Information. Not sure how they work down the southern end. But unless you know they are a member how else can you get there information that is stored for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    ... Redcliffe the members can log on using there Membership Number as it gives us quick access to their Information. ....
    Yeah I like that idea because I am uncomfortable reading out rego numbers, mobile phone numbers and other personal details over the open airwaves. Silly maybe, but that's just how I feel.

Thanks for the info.

...Try calling them on 16 then they will move you over to the local working channel.
    I know that is the correct procedure but I really don't like using 16 in case my routine call drowns the start of someone's emergency call.

I much prefer to use the working channel since I know the radio room are on that one already. In fact I have never really understood why an emergency channel isn't left entirely to securitee level and upward messages.

I joined CG Redcliffe last Saturday before heading outside on Sunday.

Wal, The best part about using the calling channel 16 is that if you are unsure of the working channel in your area, Me personally i always use the working channel to log on/off but if i go somewhere and i am unsure of what the working channel is i will use 16 first.

Cheers Lee

WAL,

If you are down at Jacobs Well 21 prob wont do much for you as the Repeater is on Cape Moreton. Try calling them on 16 then they will move you over to the local working channel.

At Redcliffe the members can log on using there Membership Number as it gives us quick access to their Information. Not sure how they work down the southern end. But unless you know they are a member how else can you get there information that is stored for them.
    South of Brisbane River try using Channel 81 repeater. I was in the river mouth this morning doing a rescue using a handheld talking to Redcliffe on 81 - worked well.

I joined VMR Victoria Point over a month ago while I was down there for the boaters market
    Still haven't received my membership details or any replies to my emails to the lady that said she was the membership officer.
    It's a bit moot because the weathers been crap since then
    As it turns out I've been putting in at Redland Bay as its easier when I'm on my own or I'd have just dropped in to see what the go is next time I'm out
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

gday all i firmly believe if you go offshore it should be nearly compulsary, as these volunteer orgs really struggle to stay afloat and i for one would rather them there than not . as i havent used them in the 20 or so years been boating i feel it is a great investment and peace of mind

Clearly these are good organisations with important missions. We feel we should support them better than we do. We donate when faced with collectors from time to time, but we don't initiate any donations to them. We will change that.

We'd be very happy to join either or both organisations too, but wonder if it is a waste of our time and their money.

NONE of the following is a criticism of either organisation, they are just questions, and the answers will help us make our decisions. Their website's don't appear to have the answers (I havn't spent hours looking though )

Regarding wasting our time; we only fish close local waters within mobile range and don't have a marine radio any longer (having never used our old radio in the 23 years we had it).
    Do these organisations have a system for mobile phone users instead of radio?
    Are we wasting our time and money because if we need them (eg if we need to be towed) we can't contact them?

Regarding wasting their time and money IF we can't really use them for the above reason, should we forget about joining and just donate because "joining up" is likely to be more costly to them to process (due to higher administration costs of membership) than donations are.

Of course some of their government funding may be based on membership numbers in which case us taking out membership might be better for them.OMG this is getting too complicated for me on a Sunday morning

Final questions is about location. We mainly fish North side of Brisbane and south end of sunny coast, which organisation/s should we join (if any). Obviously we go further afield from time to time

Jeez, that post got long winded...sorry about that , but we are interested

Tim and Trace.

I think joining is best... It keeps their numbers up for funding from Govt. Not that the govt does enough funding in that area.

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that they accept phone calls if radio is not an option. Also you can drop trip sheet in with them in person.

I am thinking of joking both VMR and CoastGuard. I don't expect ever to need them.... I try to eliminate risk as much as possible but they need support and its nice to know they are there.

Tim and Trace,

Phone calls are always available at Redcliffe to log on and off and we have a lot of members that do this. The only time it will be an issue is when your mobile phone doesnt work.

For the Northside of Brisbane CG Redcliffe would be a Good option, When you fish the Sunny coast what boat ramp do you leave from? Look at where you need to get back to and that will dictate the best place to join.

Cheers Lee

I was coming into to Cleveland ramp from a short session out at Peel at around 8-8.30ish Saturday night. Was following a boat in that was being towed by VMR. Quite a nice looking boat, newer one with inboard. I heard them say that they had only just signed up that day. That's good timing!