View Poll Results: Are you a Member or would you like to be?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coastguard Member

58 30.05%
  • VMR Member

72 37.31%
  • Will look at Getting a Membership

54 27.98%
  • Not interested

9 4.66%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coastguard or VMR Membership

Re: Coastguard or VMR Membership

vmr nsw now has a computer database system that covers the state. once you log in the first time all your details are in the system, and no matter which base you call once you give your rego number, all the other details are there. the system covers both local log ons and coastal voyages with each base passing the vessel on to the next for a sked. works really well. furthesr north base is Point danger and south to Eden. it would be great to see it go aust. wide one dat

Quote Originally Posted by marty666 View Post
    A bit of a side track but why are they not all sharing a data base? would that not make life easier for all parties one register for all. I would like to become a menber and am thinking redcillfe because i think it is a great thing that the CG and VMR do.
    I think hell would freeze over before anything like that happened.

Thanks so far for the Poll Results guys,

For those that answered not interested, would be keen to know why, Give us your thoughts. good or bad would love to know.

Cheers

I haven't been a member of any, many because I fish very local waters and am capable of getting myself out of trouble if it was ever needed (alternative propulsion, mobile phone range and enough ramps). This will change soon as I will be getting a bigger boat as so will be travelling further afield so will probably join TCB CG and maybe HB VMR.

I must say it is a real shame that there are two organisations effectively doing the same role and in a way competing for funds against each other.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Lethal. I am a member of Redcliffe Coast Guard. Quick question...can you change your allocated call sign with them?...If so how?

regards Peter

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Being a 99% freshwater fisho, neither body is relevant for me. My spare cash is used on memberships of stocking groups of areas I fish.

Hi grunta, what's wrong with your call sign and what would you prefer?
    I know who allocates them but can't say I can help.
    Cheers Mick.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickInTheMud View Post
    Hi grunta, what's wrong with your call sign and what would you prefer?
    I know who allocates them but can't say I can help.
    Cheers Mick.

Nothing at all wrong with Redcliffe 895....just a bit statistical because of numbers i guess....Name of your boat would be good but I realize many names would be already taken, hence the numbers....Also have to remember numbers LOL

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Yeah everyone gets a number, no boat names are used. ( I thought you were worried about an unlucky no.)
    For ease of use you could use a label maker to make a label with just 895 on it and stick it on near the radio.
    Cheers Mick

What really drives me mad is that you guys won't join together, so we only pay one fee and are covered Australia wide. I am a member at Southport but go fishing at Mooloolabah, 1770, Iluka, Yeppoon and Tweed Heads. No one in right mind could join them all. Imagine if you went on fishing safari around whole country. Ridiculous system, but love the work you do. Please get together. Loz.

What really drives me mad is that you guys won't join together, so we only pay one fee and are covered Australia wide. I am a member at Southport but go fishing at Mooloolabah, 1770, Iluka, Yeppoon and Tweed Heads. No one in right mind could join them all. Imagine if you went on fishing safari around whole country. Ridiculous system, but love the work you do. Please get together. Loz.]

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY LOZ View Post
    What really drives me mad is that you guys won't join together, so we only pay one fee
    Totally agree

Agree with Loz. I would rather pay one fee (even a bit higher) that covers my membership at any port covered by a VMR/AVCG. Would make more more sense and would probably result in a higher membership take up. It can even be set up similar to the SIPs scheme where you nominate the areas you most likely fish to allow allocation of funds, but not limiting you to those areas.

Hi, I joined the VMR at Bribie Island, and did the VHF course, just a day and a half over one weekend. Two courses are available, a basic course to get your VHF licence and a more detailed one in case you want to join a VMR or CC, for me I just chose the basic one, the theory is the same for both and then you can choose which course test you want, the basic test takes about 5-10 minutes and the more advanced test takes about 20 minutes.

Cheers

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I must say it is a real shame that there are two organisations effectively doing the same role and in a way competing for funds against each other.
    Agreed.....