Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel aint Diesel

Diesel aint Diesel

Some interesting stats from my last trip to Hinchinbrook. Diesel fuel isn’t what it appears to be when you do the maths. I have taken into consideration many factors into why my fuel consumption varied so much. Overall weight of load, temperature of travel, landscape, wind direction and speed. I’ll just jive the stats.
    First 80lt and second 80lt tanks were filled and the united on the Gold coast. 550km first tank, from 3am to 10am. Second tank, 510km from 10.30am till 4pm, take into account the heat of the day less the 80kg fuel that equates the same. Here’s where things get interesting, next 80lt plus 30lt came into my car via Mobile service station, 415km from 80lt. By now I’m driving flat roads with a tail wind, what the F happened there? Next 80lt came via a BP with a bottle of injector cleaner just in case. 435km, something’s going wrong here, I’ve never had this much variation ever before.
    On the way home I figured my injectors were due for replacement with yet another 410km along with NO power to overtake a caravan on open road. But no, not the case, I fuelled up outside Sarina at an independent, 80lt got me 650km, and a great hamburger with coffee. Had the air on the entire time.
    It turns out Diesel aint Diesel. I have experienced this here on the Gold coast before, The best tank I’ve ever had came from the same united I started my trip from only when they first opened, I got almost 720km from one tank with no extra weight in city conditions, they went downhill from there. I do not understand how the servo’s can get away with whatever their adding to the fuel. I know from my last trip NOT to fuel up at the larger stations, eg: BP, Caltex and Mobile.
    Mitch

Re: Diesel aint Diesel

it comes down to what season blend they are using and if one changes before the others you will get veriances like that, there are 12 different season blends that they use over the year so you are right diesel changes all year for climate differences.

Independants buy whatever fuel is the best price at the time, regardless of its origin, unless they have been blocked by a particular seller. I have seen 3 different brand trucks filling a servo in one week not so long ago.
    Jack.

I have wondered this plenty of times as well.Wondered why one tank has the old Hilux travelling pretty well and another tank full has it labouring.
    Frustrating.

Toddy

mate i have noticed the same thing i find mobile to have the worst diesel, caltex vortex is the same less kms. i find the best diesel comes from either bp or 7 11 i get the most kms out of them you just feel ripped off

Quote Originally Posted by 20ran. View Post
    mate i have noticed the same thing i find mobile to have the worst diesel, caltex vortex is the same less kms. i find the best diesel comes from either bp or 7 11 i get the most kms out of them you just feel ripped off
    It's funny you mention this, 7/11 has taken over most mobile petrol stations down here in Vic, I tend to use Bp myself and Mobile before the hand over, they are still using Mobile fuel, I just can't trust it myself.

Thanks to all above replys, I'm not so sure about seasional blends though cause the truckers would cause a riot if they got sold winter fuel in summer that caused their trucks to run harder. and i fueled up where the trucks did. I remembered the station i filled up last which gave me the best run was the servo opposit the Awonga dam entry. not the matilda on the other side. I'm currently on 699km and still going.
    Mitch

I too notice differences in the fuel, but for me Caltex Vortex Diesel consistantly gives me the best performance and km's ? BP the worst. 08' Hilux

Forgive me Mitch for stating the bleeding obvious, but truckers fuel cost are tax deductable.
    Not that that explains the difference in fuel quality.....

Phoned a friend last night who has been in the industry for a long long time, he informed me that seasional diesel was stoped many years ago and that there isn't a thing that the servo's con add to diesel to ,,,,,,,shal we say cut it. The quality would be governed by the makers of the stuff. Well that F me.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by MitchCalcutt View Post
    Phoned a friend last night who has been in the industry for a long long time, he informed me that seasional diesel was stoped many years ago and that there isn't a thing that the servo's con add to diesel to ,,,,,,,shal we say cut it. The quality would be governed by the makers of the stuff. Well that F me.

Mitch
    Mitch your mate is right i was in the industry for quite some time and the mix is the same all year round.
    I personally think since the sulfer has been removed we have had problems e.g using more, black smoke etc... I have trucks and found that BP has the best.
    BP & Caltex are the only ones that make it in Brisbane where the independents such as freedom,Neumann & Matilda(same company now) import it.
    Here is something you may not know is we have had 15% ethanol in unleaded for around 15 years but were not told about it so we the public don't know what we are buying.

Hi dstrans

Have you run with the stuff that Neumans import?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by dstrans View Post
    Mitch your mate is right i was in the industry for quite some time and the mix is the same all year round.
    I personally think since the sulfer has been removed we have had problems e.g using more, black smoke etc... I have trucks and found that BP has the best.
    BP & Caltex are the only ones that make it in Brisbane where the independents such as freedom,Neumann & Matilda(same company now) import it.
    Here is something you may not know is we have had 15% ethanol in unleaded for around 15 years but were not told about it so we the public don't know what we are buying.
    15% ethanol in Unleaded for 15 years...CRAP. I've been in the industry for 15 years and no we haven't. Some of the dodgy independants were using it and tolulene to thin out there fuel.

Hehe, I have heard they were thinning down diesel with ethanol and/or petrol. A diesel motor can still run on a low percentage mix of petrol in diesel but will lose some performance and economy.
    That would not suprise me at all. funny thing was a few years back diesel was just a by product now its up ther in price.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dstrans View Post
    Id like to see some evidence of that. I reckon it is crap. My wife once filled my old WB with a 10% blend and it would hardly run. If it, or any older cars, had run 15% ethanol you reckon people wouldnt have realised?
    I'd say you've been sold an old wives tale.