Thread: somerset dam 5/11

somerset dam 5/11

hi all, first post for me in this forum as the last time i fished the fresh was about 33 years ago. left at 3.30 this morn with bingo (oodies) as my guide and arrived at somerset around 5.30. met a few of the dam (not damn) regulars along with bingo's brother in law bretto (tanglefoot), had a bit of a chat and then set off in search of bass. we dropped 4 opera house pots first hoping for a feed of redclaw on the way back. short trip to spot x and noisy motor up and lecky down. first 5 minutes saw bingo land a nice specimen and bretto with 2 in the livewell. good start i reckon, looks promising. being a stubborn salt fan i figured on catching bass the same as i would squire or sweeties. bad move. only 3 hits on the plastics in the first couple of hours. 11am and the score was bingo 3, bretto about 8 and i'm still on nil. 2 hours later: bingo 3, bretto about 11, me nil. okay, i realised by now that these blokes knew exactly what they were doing and i am a stubborn dumb ass. bretto has this great method of catching fish sitting on his bum. up and down he trolled and the only times we saw him standing he was winding in another fish i dont know if he even stood to pee! every time on his feet and there was another fish!! bingo was the great guide, accommodating his "client" by trying to hook me up on my preferred method of jigging placcys over the schools despite brettos obvious success with the bum method. finally i relented and accepted the offer of one of bingos flash lures. couldn't even tell you what it was but apparently just a cheap one of about $15. geez - thats a pack and a half of placcys! bingo was getting quite anxious by now. poor bugger was feeling guilty i hadn't caught yet. bretto in the meantime had caught over a dozen fish and was about to bail due to lecky failure (have heard tho that he has a very understanding partner who suggested that as it had cost him $1100 eleven years ago that was good value and yes he should buy a new one with an i pilot) anyway, long story short, as soon as we start trolling bingo lands his second 42cm fish. score: bretto minimum 13 (dont know if that included the 2 yellowbelly or not), bingo 4, me nil. an hour later and joy, i managed to wind up a fish (smallest of the day) and released my first ever bass. got a bit more practice to do here and may need to acquire a second mortgage to acquire some lures. anyway it goes on... left about 2.30 and picked up first pot. 2 big redclaw. okay, this may be alright? wrong - only 2 we got. threw em back for next time . BUT, before they went back in, bingo happened to get a different kind of bite when he accidentally slipped his toe between the mesh of the pot. that was totally unnecessary extra entertainment and it just goes to show the lengths that he's prepared to go to, to ensure a memorable occasion. great day out and i reckon i'll be back for more.
    cheers
    davo
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Re: somerset dam 5/11

Great read Davo, mate the laughs just kept coming didn't they, usually at my expense I might add...lol
    Bretto ended up with 23 fish I think Davo, that is why I partner with him in the comps. Glad to hear you had a good day mate even if you were "STUBBORN"..They really did shut down though mate as they were being hammered by roughly 12 boats at times and that will shut a school of bass down. Just yell out when you want to go again Davo and I would jump at the chance to fish with ya again. Had a ball.
    I'm ordering a prosthetic toe online today...

Bingo

hahaha. what a cracker mate. yeah it was a great outing. look forward to doing it again but i reckon i might just sneak a mid week trip in first - just to check it out without a high volume of traffic. geez - bretto slayed em alright. what a result. catch up soon.
    cheers
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Davo,
    Was magic to meet you.
    Was good to able to show someone who is as keen on fishing as Bingo & myself. I think there may have been 2 reasons why your tally was shy. Firstly Bingo may have deployed my method of giving out lures, the worst first, and secondly he was probably chewing on chips all day LOL. No the lure he gave you was 1 of our go to lures, it should have slayed em. Thats fishing but.
    Glad you had a good day and you have found out why Bingo & I fish together. The entertainment is awesome

Cheers Bretto
    Tanglefoot

Good company will always make a trip memorable... who you fish with can sometimes make a trip worthwhile....as in this trip.

Cheers All

Bingo