Thread: Any news from Monduran?

Any news from Monduran?

Hi All,

Heading up to Monduran for 4 days on monday with a few mates and taking the houseboat option. Has anyone heard any reports since early October? Have heard it is pretty quiet up there but will give it a bash anyway and see how we go. If anyone is going to be up there at the same time let me know and we can catch up on the dam and compare notes to try and find some big ones!

Regards,
    Richo

Re: Any news from Monduran?

ive got 5 mates who are up there at the moment they left on thursday should be back on monday, sent them a txt havent heard anything yet, im guessing its going to be a bit slow judging by the results of the latest comp they had their. Should hear from them tommorow, but judging by the non response id say they havent caught much but catties lol

Hi Richo, I fished Monduran from the 1st Nov 5th Nov, weather fine, light winds, sunny. I fished mainly B, North and South arms. Plenty of weed beds to cast to and along. I fished from daylight to dark, plenty of bait fish,I have never seen so many Gar fish. I was casting 5,6 inch hollow bellies with trout rattles in the tails, and managed only one Barra at 65cm. I also used 4 inch shallow Nils Masters,B52 long A in gold, Predatek shallow divers, with no results. All in all a plesant trip, not to many people to worry about and excellent weather. The water clarity was excellent but a bit cold, the hottest water I could find was 80 degrees. I purchased a Minn Kota Ipilot and this was the first time I had used it, what a fantastic bit of equipment, at last look Mum no hands, Hope this helps you out. Brian

Thanks for your report. Currently moored at white rocks, too many beers and rums for an early start! Found a nice weed bed and shallow point opposite the mooring last night, fished with poppers, will hit again this morning. Optus phone range at white rocks!

Sweet f(&k all but a cracker hangover!

I spent 4 days there last week... slept on the boat and fished daylight to dark - covered a lot of ground and you name the technique and I used it. Swam almost 40 different lures - to say i fished hard and peppered every area i fished would be an understatement.... all for 2 catfish.

I'v got 3 mate's up there atm been there since saturday for zilch.
    Baz

Got home last night, total was 5 catfish! Even tried livebaiting which got most of the catfish, saw one small Barra follow a lure in B bay North arm. Perfect weather and have become and expert in replacing trailer bearings - mate's trailer busted one side on the way up, then another 1 hour out of Brisbane one the way home!
    Good luck if your heading up there - you will need it

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    Got home last night, total was 5 catfish! Even tried livebaiting which got most of the catfish, saw one small Barra follow a lure in B bay North arm. Perfect weather and have become and expert in replacing trailer bearings - mate's trailer busted one side on the way up, then another 1 hour out of Brisbane one the way home!
    Good luck if your heading up there - you will need it
    What did you use for the livies mate.. I often thought live gar might go alright

Used Barcoo Grunter - caught a few in the shallows berlying with bread. Mouth almighty's are used a fair bit in Tinaroo. Next time think I'll live bait a bit more, totally over Monduran for now tho! Rather go the distance and fish some dams Mackay north!

i fished on a charter up there a little while ago... about 6 weeks.. i hooked 3 landed one 80, my mate hooked 2 lost em both and the other mate on the charter hooked two and landed a 65, the reports from the days before were fairly similar with around 4 to 6 hits and a few fish landed... guessing local knowledge and the fact that we werent locals (got taken to a secret spot) anyway there was another boat near us and they would have easily hooked 8 fish or more....
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

white xraps did the trick.. wouldnt touch anything else? that was on the 22nd of last month anyway.. and surely the water has warmed up a bit now
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrashan.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	73837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barra80.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	73836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barra1.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	73835  
    Last edited by nathank; 18-11-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add pic.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Great Photos I am sure ther are still plenty of barra in the dam as you have shown. This time of year i find is always a bit hit and miss. After christmas should be fun i think