Thread: Are transducers oil filled?

Question Are transducers oil filled?

Hi I had a little problem with my Humminbird sounders performance on the weekend seemed to get better after a couple of hours. I just checked it over and it seems to have a lot of clear oil on the bottom of the transducer and was wondering if transducers are filled with oil and if it is possible it has leaked? Can't see any crack though. Regards Brad

Re: Are transducers oil filled?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad O View Post
    Hi I had a little problem with my Humminbird sounders performance on the weekend seemed to get better after a couple of hours. I just checked it over and it seems to have a lot of clear oil on the bottom of the transducer and was wondering if transducers are filled with oil and if it is possible it has leaked? Can't see any crack though. Regards Brad
    Not the ones i have broken on the rocks, normally impregnated with resin of some sort.

No, no oil inside.

The oil on the outside is no doubt the cause of the performance problems you had. Oil on transducer surface will prevent a good "contact" with the water and this results in poor performance.

Need to clean the transducer surface carefully with some mild detergent to remove all traces of oil, so it's perfectly clean. If any doubt about what to use to clean it, contact Humminbird/your dealer and ask their recommendation.

Either you've run thru some oil in the water, maybe at the ramp, or possibly some is leaking from your engine/boat somewhere and finding its way to the transducer. Time to check that out and see if you can find a source.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Cheers & thanks