Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

Hi All

I'm just after opinions on what is the best of the current 4x4 utes (4 door) - In recent times there have been some new additions , upgrades etc.

I'm looking for a diesel which is well appointed , has fair off road ability with good road manners , comfortable ....... price wont really come into it .

interested to hear your thoughts - the good & the bad!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Best of the current crop of 4x4 utes (diesel)

hey chris,i drove the new 2012 bt50 last weekend and it drove better than the new ford hands down,better suspension more comfy seats and i think better finnish overall,boss just bought the new sr5 hilux and it is alot better truck than his 07 model hilux he traded in on it.prob better to go for a drive in them as i think it all comes down to personal choice in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    hey chris,i drove the new 2012 bt50 last weekend and it drove better than the new ford hands down,better suspension more comfy seats and i think better finnish overall,boss just bought the new sr5 hilux and it is alot better truck than his 07 model hilux he traded in on it.prob better to go for a drive in them as i think it all comes down to personal choice in the end.
    Thanks Rosco

I agree with what you said about going for a drive - but people may have different experiences with different models
    i've heard that the Hilux has gone downhill over the past couple of models - prior to that they were the leader of the pack .
    The new BT50 is certainly a better looking car now.
    Anyhow - it will be interesting to hear opinions

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The new V6 diesel in the navara looks like a nice donk. I hope they've fixed the other reliability issues with the car by now.

I've got a 2010 BT50 and I'm really happy with it but I reckon if I was buying today I'd have a really good look at the Amorak. But I'd also definitely have a close look at the latest Mazda.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    The new V6 diesel in the navara looks like a nice donk. I hope they've fixed the other reliability issues with the car by now.
    Yes I work with a bloke with the old model ......... he likes it but another mate couldn't get rid of his quick enough
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by upstart View Post
    I've got a 2010 BT50 and I'm really happy with it but I reckon if I was buying today I'd have a really good look at the Amorak. But I'd also definitely have a close look at the latest Mazda.
    Yeh I thought about the Amorok ..... b ut someone pointed out that it has limited water crossing ability because of the location of the air intake ......... so it really needs a snorkel

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I was staying at Dubbo through the week and was talking to a fella at the motel with an Amarok and he was really impressed with it. Bloody thing looked enormous inside and out compared to its rivals. Amazing leg room in the rear and looked really wide inside for a comfy 3 adults across the back.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yeh I thought about the Amorok ..... b ut someone pointed out that it has limited water crossing ability because of the location of the air intake ......... so it really needs a snorkel

chris
    They will all need a snorkel to make them capable of a decent water crossing,

I like the look of the new Ranger myself but they all still have rear leaf springs which mean they will still all bounce around.I have the 2010 Colorado twincab for work it's only the base model or maybe one up and it's a crap ride with crap suspension,when i jump back into the Landcruiser it feels like i've stepped back into a limo.

I thought you had a Prado?......not interested i another one?......I'll stick to the wagons myself as i know i can lock my fishing gear up nice and secure and dust proof.

Dan

see my thread in offroad section under

Pressie for colorado.

After 2 and a bit years and over 105,000k's....... think I'll stick with a Colarado. Yes , suspension is suss, but a $1,000 fix and no issues for 100,000k. Value for money.......... 10/10. Style side with lockable canopy would do.

ya probably need to define " best " of the current crop..

best value

best offroad

best onroad comfort

best fuel economy

best features

best re-sale

best payload

best towing capacity

probably start with the reason you wish to purchase one first, then identify your budget. Take it from there.

My choice in the colorado was easy.

I wanted:-

3 ton tow
    3ltr diesel
    dual cab
    manual

all under 35k new drive away............... not interested in re-sale value or too much bling !!!

only thing i would have liked ( in hindsight )..... cruise control.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    They will all need a snorkel to make them capable of a decent water crossing,

I like the look of the new Ranger myself but they all still have rear leaf springs which mean they will still all bounce around.I have the 2010 Colorado twincab for work it's only the base model or maybe one up and it's a crap ride with crap suspension,when i jump back into the Landcruiser it feels like i've stepped back into a limo.

I thought you had a Prado?......not interested i another one?......I'll stick to the wagons myself as i know i can lock my fishing gear up nice and secure and dust proof.

Dan
    I have a prado ...and will keep it - but I will b e looking at a company car which could double as a decent getaway vehicle ......... there is little that would match my Grande - without spending $94K+ ...... so am looking at another vehicle
    chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    see my thread in offroad section under

Pressie for colorado.

After 2 and a bit years and over 105,000k's....... think I'll stick with a Colarado. Yes , suspension is suss, but a $1,000 fix and no issues for 100,000k. Value for money.......... 10/10. Style side with lockable canopy would do.

ya probably need to define " best " of the current crop..

best value

best offroad

best onroad comfort

best fuel economy

best features

best re-sale

best payload

best towing capacity

probably start with the reason you wish to purchase one first, then identify your budget. Take it from there.

My choice in the colorado was easy.

I wanted:-

3 ton tow
    3ltr diesel
    dual cab
    manual

all under 35k new drive away............... not interested in re-sale value or too much bling !!!

only thing i would have liked ( in hindsight )..... cruise control.

LP

That's the hard part LP
    I want the best of all worlds ......... I currently have a Prado Grande & any alternative will need to go head to head ....... or at least put up a good show!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris

I drive a dual cab triton for work now and previously (last year) a navara. I did not like the navara, but must admit the triton has been a surprise. It has shown itself to be very capable in the driving I do (highway, rural, dirt, mud, wet, corrugations, locked up low range 4wd and lots of water crossings(up to the bonnet)). I haven't had any issues at 20000k. Ride is fine, power is fine (it has been used to tow up to its max load), fuel economy is fine, turning circle is fine (especially compared to the navara) and although it has the diesel rattle at idle, it is relatively quiet at speed. Pretty much anyone who has been in it has been impressed. My only complaint is that the model that I use does not have a lumbar support, so when driving a long day, I do get a little sore in the lower back (have bought an aftermarket slide on one and it fixed the problem.

If I had to cough up my own coin to buy one, it would certainly get the on the list.

Steve

I just traded up from an 09 manual rx Kingcab 2.5TD navara(80,000KLM) to a manual rx Dual cab TD navara. The 2 cars are chalk and cheese, the clutch is totally different and now drives like a clutch should. Seems to be a bit more power and fuel economy is just a tad better. Also the new stereo car blue tooth intergration is top notch (as people can now hear me over the old Blueant I had)I didn't need the over priced extras that come with the more expensive models ( only a work truck and will do some klms in) so I went with the base model and added a few extras of my own (performance chip, alloys etc)

Three different power levels available in the navarra

RX & ST 126kw
    STX 140kw
    STX 550 170kw (v6 diesel)
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

For plenty of road D40 navara. I went through the choice a while ago, not worried bout comfort. Ended up coming down to either D22 Navara or Holden Colorado. Got the D22 and very happy