Thread: structure scan in 40m plus

structure scan in 40m plus

How deep are these structure scan units effective too? Especially when looking for rubble ground and small pinnacles in 30 to 70m. My HDS 7 does a good job on 200 and 80KHz. However, it would be nice to sweep a larger area of the bottom with atleast the same indication my HDS already gives me. Subsequently, extend my list of secret spots..

I've been thinking about purchasing a Lowrance LSS-1 structure scan setup. Would be helpful to hear if this unit is suited for this purpose..

Re: structure scan in 40m plus

G'Day Mate, I recently bought a HDS 10 with Structure Scan, i am still learning how to use it effectively, but i like the results i am getting so far. All my work is generally in shallow water, to about 50 feet tops, to date i have been using it in impoundments chasing barra with spectular results, being able to locate fish and target them with great sucess. I have taken a lot of screen shots, some close to the dam walls are in water over 100 feet deep, bearing in mind that i'm not sure about the settings in the deeper water, the results show a fair amount of detail, i will try and post a couple of screen shots and i will then try and describe what they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The first shot is in relitively shallow water, it shows submerged trees, a rise in the bottom and on the right had side what is possibly a creek bed, the window on the right side of the first pic is the downscan shot, i should say the boat position is at the top of the page when looking at the side scan pic.
    The second pic or middle one is in water that started out at around 120 feet in depth and at the time of the shot is in 82.2 feet of water, at the top of the shot you can see what is a road that i am told was used in the construction of the dam wall, just to the right of centre you can see a thin white line running from the top to the bottom, it is an inch and a half sisal rope floating on the surface making up a buoy line, the two white dots on that line are the bottoms of a couple of floats that are tethered to the line. It's a bit hard to see here with the size of the picture but when it came up on the HDS 10 screen you could see the twist in the rope. The last picture or third one is a similar shot to the second it was taken just another 20 meters along the bouy line.

Cheers,
    John.

FYI. I've done a bit of research on this. Apparently they're not alot of help over 30m. Specifically I wanted to use one looking for rubble ground when searching for reds and nanies in 40m plus. I've spoken to an owner whos used his for this purpose. He said the swell off shore has a wavey effect on the picture and they lose alot of detail over 40m. I also spoke to a hydrographer who said they tow their side scans near the bottom to create an optimum angle for returns and avoid the movement of the hull...oh well stickin with dual beam..