Thread: Going to try Mud Island

Going to try Mud Island

just got my self a new boat ( 4.2 tinny with 30hp ) and getting back into fishing .... I have a day off thursday so i thought i would try mud island early ( 5 am ) and see if i can get a feed , never been there before and will be leaving from whyte island / fisherman island boat ramp and going out the river.....anyone got any pointers , what i should look out for or where i should avoid ? any help would be great .....Thanks

Re: Going to try Mud Island

G'day mate,

Congratulations on your little boat. All the best with her.

Any reason you are targeting mud? Mud can be hit and miss as a result of the additional pressure the island is faced with in view of the restrictions in place of other the islands. You can always try the mouth of Brisbane river from luggage point right down to the gateway bridge. Plenty of structure, shipping terminals and rock walls to cheese from.

As for mud a few good spots to be found on the southern shallows into the drop offs - also eastern side and norther shallows and drop offs.

Rising tide is good for bream, snapper and witting. Use only fresh bait or lightly weighted soft plastics. With little run try floating baits with minimal or no weight. For snapper use fresh mullet, pilchards and mullet strips. As for plastic use jerk shad profiles above 4inch- ie Gulp Jerk. Bream go with shrimp and squigy wriggler.

Make sure you pick your days as some days the bay can be choppy particularly when in a smaller vessel.

All the best mate. Hope the above helps land a couple.

Regards
    Jerry
    "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

thanks for the tips , will give it a try ifi dont have much luck then i will give peel a go next time ..just got to keep trying till i find a feed ......

it was a good morning out on the bay , the boat went well , caught a few squire that went back in , hooked up to a few moreton bay monsters , one stripped 60 meters of 10kg line and snapped me off and another i had on the line for 10 min and it was a good fight on 5 kg line but as i was getting the gaff ready the line touched the boat and ping it was gone .. but had a great time and was really only out there to test the boat and get a feel for it ...started to chop up around 10am so i headed off home ...going to give it another go next week now that i know where to go. any tips would be good guys ...

If you're lucky enough to fish mid-week, give harry's a shot. Plenty of marks listed all over the 'net. And when there's fewer boats out (ie mid week) there's generally plenty of ground to try if one spot isn't working.

Sounds like you don't need to change your approach to Mud when you have had two big hookups ( but lost them)

Keep up the persistance and we will see the results no doubt. When you hook up like that try to be patient, the big snapper ( likely to have been snapper, although you get big cod there too and occasional grassies and LT Tuna)will slow up eventually, even on light line if your drag is good enough and you have enough line.

Last trip I hooked up to something that spat the hook, on the western side. It was a monster fish too, the power was amazing!!

Good luck

Scalem

went out to mud on saturday. was on the water by 6am. jigged a few livies at one of the markers outside the river, then headed to mud. Tried all the tricks, live bait, plastics, fresh mullet, squid, pilchards, even took 8 crab pots. Not one crab all day, and about 30 undersized squire and a couple small grassies. Also, found it very hard to find the good reef that we used to fish on. Tried about a dozen spots all around the island. The only highlight of the day were the dolphins hanging around the boat, including a white one! I have never seen one before. Very disappointing

was going to try the pots but as it was mainly a test run for the new boat i gave them a miss ... will try again next weekend with my young fella. see if i can get a few in the boat next time

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    went out to mud on saturday. was on the water by 6am. jigged a few livies at one of the markers outside the river, then headed to mud. Tried all the tricks, live bait, plastics, fresh mullet, squid, pilchards, even took 8 crab pots. Not one crab all day, and about 30 undersized squire and a couple small grassies. Also, found it very hard to find the good reef that we used to fish on. Tried about a dozen spots all around the island. The only highlight of the day were the dolphins hanging around the boat, including a white one! I have never seen one before. Very disappointing
    You did all that in one day? Changing rigs too many times drives me nuts, can't settle into single form of fishing.... Mud can be like that, last time I tried I didn't get anything more than a 58cm flattie and a few unders, but did hook up twice to that russian sub that is down there somewhere. Then every once in a while I get my Mojo happening, and best catch in the last 12 months was 3 snaps in one session, 79, 83 and 83.5cm. Keep trying....

Scalem