Thread: Saltwater fly fishing from shore in Fiji

Saltwater fly fishing from shore in Fiji

Guys, has anyone ever ventured to fly fish from shore in Fiji? Perhaps any of the islands around including Australia or NZ might be similar. I have a 9 weight rod and a Hardy Zane no. 3 reel (1,200 feet of backing). Being from Canada, I have never fished a fly rod from shore so I was hoping to have a little excitement in Fiji in January for 2 weeks. What type of flies should I use? Thanks for your input.

Re: Saltwater fly fishing from shore in Fiji

Id just keep it simple and take some clourses all white \ chartruse and white and pink and white from size 2-1\0 hooks and some decivers same colours and size and some crazy charlies or bonefish gothcas in tan and pink4-2 hooks i hope this helps cheers Chris.

Great, thanks Chris I will post back here how I make out. I am away from Jan 7 to the 28th.
    Cheers Gary

Hi Gary,

Check with someone at the place you are staying about whether or not you can fly fish from shore. I was there earlier this year and was not allowed to fish from the shore. In some places you can't fish within a certain distance of the shore. So worth checking rather than dragging excess baggage with you

Cheers

DavidW

Thanks David, will do. I will let you know how I make out.
    Gary