Thread: Transducers

Transducers

Can you cut a transducer wire and successfully rejoin it

Cheers

Re: Transducers

Sure can.......cut my old ls6100 cable and bought a joiner of taylor marine and had no drama........looked like a coax joiner to me.

Dan

I cut and joined my transducer cable on my yak to get the cable through the gland fitting to be watertight. No problems what so ever, plus I removed about 10 feet of the cable as well. Reads the depth identical to my boat's sounder so I am pretty sure the accuracy is not affected with the shorter cable. I soldered each wire back together and double heat shrunk each wire then heat shrunk the entire area after carefully overlapping the sheilding over the joint.
    After going through all that I realised I could have twice as easily used fine wire crimps rather than solder then the heat shrink over the top.
    Jack.

I bought new transducer today from stones corner marine. They told me that if u joined wires then it would not read correctly.

Yeah I did it once when a mates dog chewed through the wire just above my brand new sounders transducer. Worked fine after that, but for some reason the dog didn't like me anymore!! It wasn't a high performance sounder tho just an estuary tinny.

I ended up drilling bit bigger hole and didn't cut transducer wire. All just about in jet ski.

Hope it al works on weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    I bought new transducer today from stones corner marine. They told me that if u joined wires then it would not read correctly.
    Naa thats BS..........they just wanted a sale..........

Dan

I already bought it. I definitely needed one, so they didn't just want a sale.

I still have my doubts as to whether it would read to its max capably if wires were joined.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Like any thing if you join the wires corectly using the right stuff you should not increase the impedance on the wires to affect its operation