Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Boat - 6M Galeforce

Re: New Boat - 6M Galeforce

/Playtime.
    Yes he is using the xd100, bloody expensive too.
    Consider this
    130hp, V4 1727cc 2.00:1 gear ratio
    150hp V6 2592cc 1.86;1 gear ratio
    The 150 will be working much less for the same C.O.G/ S.O.G and the same fuel economy

Hi Playtime, Firstly congratulations on your new boat.
    I own the Tournament 1900 & 130 Etec that Rando has mentioned.
    My experience of my boat and motor combo is in comparison to a friend that has a 2000 tournament with 150 Etec. The 1900 is basically the 2000 hull shortened by 300mm with a 1750 cabin on top. (so I'm told).
    The 1900 goes great with the 130 but I have found that the 130 is revving harder to achieve a similar speed to the 150, this in turn means the engine is using more oil (XD100) because it is closer to the higher end of the rev range.
    Now the obvious response here is don't rev so hard, but reality is that on a great glassed out SEQ day it is pretty hard to keep your speed down to 25mph when you can easily do 34mph.
    The etec has, as i guess many new engines and guage combos have, a nifty display that gives fuel consumption in Litres p/h and speed, with my setup between about 24mph and 34mph fuel consumption(lph) = speed, above 34mph fuel usage is significantly higher.
    A comparison of the 130 to 150, 4 cyl 1.7L v 6cyl 2.6L (approx), next the gearboxes are different ratios, the 150 turns a greater pitch prop easier, this is where the 150 can cruise at a same speed with a lower rev, thus using less oil and fuel. Trolling and low revs there is no difference as the quantity of oil injected is dependent on the engine revs.(revving harder = more oil used)
    My friends boat seems to cruise at a similar speed without working (revving) as hard.
    I have tried numerous different props, both 3 & 4 blade different pitches and sizes, with results ranging from incredible hole shot but a significant loss of top speed, (8 - 10%), this also gave a lower cruise speed at the same revs as the original prop.

At the time of purchase I discussed in detail with the salesman about getting the 150 and was convinced otherwise that the 130 was more than adequate, now with the benefit of hindsight I would definitely have gone the 150, especially at the time it was only an extra 1 or 2 thousand, I cant recall exactly.
    I'm not familiar with the Galeforce nor claim to be an expert on etec's or any engine, I'm just passing on my experiences of my boat and motor combo and my observations and results, and I hope this helps.

Summing up - I love my boat

An update for those interested in my 6M galey build.

Boat was layed up in the mold 2 weeks ago and is progressing well. Deck on this week too. A few pics below (sorry for picture quality as was on phone).

Picture 1 - boat layed up in the mold without gelcoat - main stringers (foam filled), tank goes in between main stringers up forward of photo. cylinder in bottom right corner of photo is simply a grab to remove it from mold (one up forward too)
    inthemold.jpg

Picture 2 - front end shot after deck fitted and application of gelcoat - still not buffed or polished yet, still being fitted, 21 degrees deadrise, can just make out the planning strake from this view which carriers right to bow, but can't really make out the reverse chines
    front.jpg

picture 3 - transom shot, twin live bait tanks either side of motor well, transom built up for XLshaft outboard, not faired back yet, 8 foot rod locker storage in stb side gunnel yet to be finished (similar rod locker on port side).
    transom.jpg

Really happy with progress to date. Tony has been just a dream to deal with. Next week expect console to be crafted and internal fit out to start, pending weather of course. Will update on what I decide to do with motor soon - making that decision shortly...

Thanks
    Playtime

Thought long and hard about the power options. Originally was leaning toward the ETEC for a number of reasons, including cost, service requirements and weight. The other option was a DF140 Suzuki, which was about 8Kg heavier, more expensive on servicing costs, but had a few pros including an additional 10HP and arguably better resale.

In the end, I went for the DF140 Suzuki, in XL Shaft configuration. My former outboards on my current boat and my previous boats were both 4 strokes, and for the most part, the "stick with what you know" came into it. I am sure the Etec woudl have been a great engine too, but on balance the Suzuki came up trumps.

It will be fitted with the Suzuki guages, an inline fuel/water seperator filter, premium cables and a standard mount control box. Also decided to go for the stainless prop to round it out.

Managed to track down the owner of another galey 6M (2010 model) with the 140 Zuk, and got some fuel data to help make the decision. According to him, he cruises at 4200 RPM at about 23knots and uses 18ltr /hour on average. Good days, a little better, rough days a little worse, but average of 18ltrs/23 knots. Converting that to km/ltr, it works out at about 2.3km/ltr (or about 1.5mile/ltr) - would be bery happy with the same efficiency.

Suzuki have a deal on ATM where the 140 it will come at no extra cost with 2 x Garmin GMI10 units instead of the normal gauges or you can upgrade the GMI's to a 750s combo for about an $600........

I've just put a deposit on my new 140 aswell.........the GM 10 will give you engine managment via NMEA2000.......fuel flow etc etc etc......

Well worth looking into.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Suzuki have a deal on ATM where the 140 it will come at no extra cost with 2 x Garmin GMI10 units instead of the normal gauges or you can upgrade the GMI's to a 750s combo for about an $600........

I've just put a deposit on my new 140 aswell.........the GM 10 will give you engine managment via NMEA2000.......fuel flow etc etc etc......

Well worth looking into.

Dan
    Dan, just sent you a PM mate.

Personally I would go the bigger motor.

What seems adequate for inshore waters falls well short when at sea.

The problem is many people only realise when they get out there and then it is too late.

If you plan trips to islands with family + gear - do not under power the rig - being a semi displacement hull from Lady Musgrave to shore with clouds building in the South is no fun.

Also the bigger motor will work easier and be more economical on regular trips too.

My two bobs worth.

Do hope you and family enjoy the rig and you get plenty of happy times together.
    Cheers

Trev

Boat is coming along nicely, and the eta is now mid November after the call from Tony today. Motor has been ordered - 140 Suzuki.

Originally thought I would go with the rear cast deck, but considered that for offshore fishing it might be a pain in the arse, so decided to take it of the options list. The huge forward cast deck will remain and will aid in storage, but rear will just be transom with motor well and live bait tanks per photo above. That way should be able to bait fish comfortably from each corner of the cockpit leaning up against the transom.

I am tossing up a small stainless T top to go over the front and rear of the console. Advantages are a little more protection for me and the electronics, plus adds some convenient rocket launcher and aerial and light mounts, but disadvantage is windage and potential to get in the way of fishing and casting. Not sure yet, but given plan is to do some offshore reef fishing I am leaning toward putting a T Top on for those long days fishing.

Be interested in thoughts from other CC owners. Whats the consensus on Ttops amongst those with similar centre console configurations?
    Life is too short for instant coffee!

Call sign: Playtime (VHF 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Playtime View Post
    Boat is coming along nicely, and the eta is now mid November after the call from Tony today. Motor has been ordered - 140 Suzuki.

Originally thought I would go with the rear cast deck, but considered that for offshore fishing it might be a pain in the arse, so decided to take it of the options list. The huge forward cast deck will remain and will aid in storage, but rear will just be transom with motor well and live bait tanks per photo above. That way should be able to bait fish comfortably from each corner of the cockpit leaning up against the transom.

I am tossing up a small stainless T top to go over the front and rear of the console. Advantages are a little more protection for me and the electronics, plus adds some convenient rocket launcher and aerial and light mounts, but disadvantage is windage and potential to get in the way of fishing and casting. Not sure yet, but given plan is to do some offshore reef fishing I am leaning toward putting a T Top on for those long days fishing.

Be interested in thoughts from other CC owners. Whats the consensus on Ttops amongst those with similar centre console configurations?
    Mate I had one on my Galey but I mostly flyfish or cast lures for longy's. The T-tops can get painful but if I'm trolling the T-top comes in handy. It didn't make too much difference regarding windage. So depends on what you intend using the boat for most, I guess. I mounted all my lights, gps aerial, etc. to my CC rather than the t-top so I could remove it when I was flyfishing. I also bought a cover for my boat when it's in the yard so the t-top sits in the back yard 99% of the time.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    here is the link for the bait board we discussed http://www.baitmate.com.au/
    Stuie
    At the stage of fit out now and amongst other things turning my mind to bait tables. On the link you supplied, which one did you go for in your galley? The rod holder mount one, or the permanent mount one?

If the rod holder one, did you opt for the longer metal legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Mate I had one on my Galey but I mostly flyfish or cast lures for longy's. The T-tops can get painful but if I'm trolling the T-top comes in handy. It didn't make too much difference regarding windage. So depends on what you intend using the boat for most, I guess. I mounted all my lights, gps aerial, etc. to my CC rather than the t-top so I could remove it when I was flyfishing. I also bought a cover for my boat when it's in the yard so the t-top sits in the back yard 99% of the time.
    Matt
    Thanks for the heads up Matt. I'm interested in understanding a little more as to why you don't tend to use your TTop. What length is your galley mate? I'm leaning toward putting one on, primarily for the kids to at least have a little shade when they come out with me...I figure if they are a little more comfy I might get a little more fishing in???

Do you tend to use your boat offshore at all, or only in the bay/estuary? Would you use the TTop if going offshore?

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Matt. I'm interested in understanding a little more as to why you don't tend to use your TTop. What length is your galley mate? I'm leaning toward putting one on, primarily for the kids to at least have a little shade when they come out with me...I figure if they are a little more comfy I might get a little more fishing in???

Do you tend to use your boat offshore at all, or only in the bay/estuary? Would you use the TTop if going offshore?

Thanks
    The reason I leave mine off is because I flyfish 99% of the time. It just gets in the way. I'm mostly in the Bay for longy's or up to Hervey Bay for goldy's but go offshore if the weather's ok. I've only got the 4.8 which isn't enough boat to go offshore in anything but good to excellent conditions. If I were going offshore and doing some trolling, I'd put it on. If you're not into flyfishing and spinning for tuna, then put the T-top on.
    Matt

Stuie
    At the stage of fit out now and amongst other things turning my mind to bait tables. On the link you supplied, which one did you go for in your galley? The rod holder mount one, or the permanent mount one?

If the rod holder one, did you opt for the longer metal legs?
    I went the permanent mount one but had longer legs and a brace so that it cleared the motor he used to have a heap of photos on his website and I picked the transom on a galey in one of the photos . the blokes boat it was is on here as well I got him to take some measurements for me
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Went down to see how the build was progressing late this afternoon. Absolutely delighted on her taking shape.

Tony has been a real pleasure to deal with so far - nothing seems to be too much trouble, and we discussed a variety of internal fitout options this evening until eventually I realised it was after 7pm and I had better let him get to his family.

Have decided on the Lowrance HDS 10, and worked out it should fit flush mounted in the console. Getting the structure scan option fitted too which should be awesome.

Also decided on putting the TTop on. Some advantages and some disadvantages, but on balance it should be a welcome addition for those hot days on the water, and add to the rod storage and will also mount a front facing and rear facing LED flood light. Should also appease the wife a little too for the odd time she comes along

Have taken Stuies advice earlier on and added the bait table to the must haves - Tony sorted out where the bait table should fit too.

Motor is due to be fitted on Friday next week. Hope to be on the water for the maiden voyage before end of month.

Cant wait

Very nice mate. You have a very nice boat and i expect many fish will come over the sides. few trips to hervey bay would be on my to do list. congrats mate.