Thread: What to buy

What to buy

Hey Guys

I know not a thing about yak's but I am selling my tinnie and thought hmmm may be a yak is the go so I am asking the question what is the best buy for around a $1000.
    The unit will be used in the clarence river from Grafton to Yamba and every where in between.
    Fishing style live bait and throwing SP's oh yer and chasing big nasty mud crabs

any info and feed back would be great

Thanks Tony
    O Where O Where Is Mr Mangrove Jack Living Today, Tony Has a Nice Lure Treat for You

Re: What to buy

Hi Tony,

My standard comments would be:

If you are looking for your first fishing yak, suggest you checkout the "For Sale"/"Classifieds" sections of the following Australian kayak fishing web sites. Always some good deals to be had there: www.kfdu.com.au, www.akff.net. Otherwise checkout Trading Post online and E-Bay for well priced new or good second hand yaks.

Not sure what size/weight you are, but consider the kayak's "capacity" when shopping around for the yak. For example I weight 110kgs. So I need a yak that can handle 110kgs plus say 20 kgs for my gear (rods, tackle, water bottles, a sounder etc.). It adds up pretty quickly. If you run too close to the stated capacity of the yak you'll be sitting low in the water and will need to expend more energy to move through the water, which means you'll get tired quickly. Also if you are in rough water you'll be get more water coming over the side. So think long about the capapcity of the yak.

Also if you are a larger person like me, you don't want a short yak. 3 meters minimum I reckon. Otherwise it will be difficult to get up and move through the water.

As for dealing with mud crabs and crab pots, then you might need to look at something that has sufficient surface area to transport these.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Hey Tony

I bought mine a couple of years and many fish ago. When I bought it, a Viking Tempo Fisherman, I was looking for a rig that would start me off, but didn't hurt the back pocket too much, in case a: I didn't like it, or b: I would want to upgrade to something to go offshore (in close).
    For what I wanted, it has been perfect. I never found a need to upgrade, or even "pimp" the yak out. Although I have never taken it outside (except to ride a few waves, which it does well). It is an unbelievably stable fishing platform and often find myself standing on it to cast around the place (pretty sure I'm under 100kg, but wouldn't put money on it).
    I've spent no extra money on it whatsoever (except one of those nylon anchors I saw on The New Inventors... works a treat too). and can spend all the extra money on tackle, bait, crabpots etc.
    It has loads of space, I can strap on 3 crab pots, tackle box, 2 rods and even have room for my 5 year old daughter (no she is not bait for the pots) and have a day up the creeks. I can get the pots to places that are absolutely boat free.
    Another thing I have noticed about my yak compared to at least a couple of other brands, is how dry your butt stays. you sit high enough in the seat that the only thing that gets wet is your arms as water drips off the paddles.
    The downside: pretty heavy yak! if I was one of those old fogeys I'd have problems getting it on the roof of my car, but even then I'm sure there is a technique.
    As mentioned above, keep an eye on the classifieds.....
    Or go direct to the manufacturer, but, if you can, take one for a test paddle. Comfort is as important as a dry a.. some yaks are a bit skinny for the more "manly" figure.

Damn too busy typing....... forgot I have to go check my pots now!!!!
    heh heh.... I love life.

I suggest you look for a few of the well known yaks the keen guys have.
    Perception Swing were discontinued about 6 years ago and are still regarded as an outstanding plastic kayak suitable for rivers and open water. I have had mine offshore about 6 miles a few times and it is awesome and stable.
    Viking Profish is the Viking equivalent and a very good yak with some good attributes, it handles well in open water, a relatively fast yak for a plastic, and has a strong following.
    Ocean Kayak's Prowler and Prowler Elite are both in the same category being suited to open water as well as river work.
    Viking Tempo is more a sheltered water kayak but it is quite safe and stable offshore and a good fishing platform.

IMO try and stay in the 4 metre to 4.5 metre length range, they track better with less tic-tacking with each stroke and you get further with each stroke than in a shorter kayak.

If you have a dodgy back you will need to take into account its weight for handling onto and off from your vehicle, many average around the 22-32kg mark and lots of them suffer from no really good grab holds when you have it over your head. Many a guy hurts himself loading or unloading the kayaks and mostly because they don't have a good grip and they slip. The swings have a handle molded in plus a gunnel ridge that provides good hand holds, yet to see another kayak with as good a grip area where it counts.

Keep your eye on the trading post, ebay, and the kayak fishing sites for guys that are upgrading, you will get a very good buy already kitted out with the whole shebang for less than an average brand new bare kayak. If you see a Swing for sale around the 1k mark, buy it. they are that good.
    Jack.

the prowler 13 by ocean kayak is $999 from adventure outlet. no one will tellu its a rubish yak. i ahve the prowler 15 but paid alot more

The Prowlers are good yaks. Lots of yak fishos use them. Like personally like the Hobies myself, as the mirage drive makes a lot of sense when it comes to playing a fish and having your hands free. If you want to paddle you can, as you get the mirage drive hole plug (covers the hole where the pedals go). I do this when in skinny water chasing bass.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

As a guide, I recently bought a Viking tempo 2 with a motorguide electric on the back for $1000 thru fleabay in new condition. Big, stable (can stand on it) and roomy. Little heavy to cart around solo, but doable if you are strong enough.

Steve