Thread: How unlucky can you be

How unlucky can you be

How unlucky is this incident glad to here that they are all ok.(From the Courier Mail)

THREE fishermen have been winched to safety after their boat was struck by lightning in heavy seas off the southeast Queensland coast.
    The trio was forced to abandon their vessel when it lost power after it was struck by lightning in two-metre seas east of Cape Moreton on Saturday morning, a Department of Community Safety spokeswoman said.
    They deployed an emergency beacon and were winched from their life raft by an Emergency Management Queensland helicopter crew around 11am (AEST).
    Rescue pilot Mark Kempton said the rough seas, gusty winds and strong current hampered the operation.
    "We couldn't winch (our crewman) directly on to the boat from the aircraft because of the way the boat was rolling and pitching in the seas,'' he told AAP.
    The crew member was lowered into the water near the fisherman's life raft.
    "Once he clambered on the back of the boat, we were able to get each of the survivors into the water one at a time with him, and then we came back in and winched them out to safety,'' Mr Kempton told AAP.
    One of the men was treated for a minor head injury and mild hypothermia, he said.
    Cheers Axl

Re: How unlucky can you be

I was wondering how many boats would be wide for the dawn session and if they fared well. Obviously not all did, hope they are ok and the boat is recoverable.
    At 4am yesterday morning it was a nice looking morning, before the rain or the storm came through.
    Jack.

I really wonder about the "lucky" bit ..... The storm was predicted on all the forecasts the night before, more an issue of questionable judgement in my opinion.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

gotta agree with ya moonlighter. had a short overnighter at mud last night as i was chased home by lightning and rain at 9.30. only 1 boat left when i departed and he gave no indication he was leaving. was still there for as long as i could see him (which wasn't all that long once the big black clouds and rain moved in. bigger gonads than me (or smaller brain)
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I looked at the radar at 5am and wisely slept in a little longer. Got on the water at 12pm, for a great day at the sand hills with a good feed of whiting.
    Dropped by at the Rouse Channel on the way back and there was a coast guard vessel followed by another large vessel behind it (approx 40-50ft) which had a deployed life raft lashed to the stern. I wonder if that was the life raft mentioned ?

Yes, that fits the description from the news article.

Most "accidents", when analysed, turn out to be a failure in something in the lead up, or an example of risk-taking that has predictable consequences.

There are a couple of blokes that I know, who should know much better especially because they are in leadership roles in a local Club, that continually go out offshore and open Bay areas in weather conditions that nearly everyone else makes a better judgement and stays home. One day, they will pay the price and people will say "It was a terrible accident", but it will not have been an accident, it will be the predictable result of continued poor judgement.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

This boat is not exactly a fishing boat, still a bit more thought..

http://media.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national-news/three-rescued-as-boat-hit-by-lightning-2679374.html

Regards
    HOnda.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeh but unfortunately, lightning is no respector of size.

A skilled skipper, in a well equiped and realy seaworthy boat can ride out many things..... but there is not a danm thing you can do about lightning.

On the open water you are the highest thing and the #1 target for miles arround.

scares the willies out of me.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.