Thread: Sad news but life jackets are a must

Sad news but life jackets are a must

Sad news in todays Telegraph online but one thing it does highlight life jackets are a must especially for kids.

IT was the one thing that might have saved their lives and it was right in front of their eyes.
    But as the boat that capsized, killing four members of one family, was towed back to port the lifejackets were still stowed under the wheel.
    Georgia Sgroi, 11, the sole survivor, was found by two fishermen clinging to the boat's hull off Batemans Bay on Saturday.
    She had seen her 10-year-old sister Giana, her grandparents Con and Tina Sgroi and her uncle Sam drown after their boat overturned in heavy seas.
    The father of the two girls, Philip Sgroi, made a desperate dash from Melbourne after being told of the tragedy on Saturday night. Amazingly, Georgia received only minor injuries and has been reunited with her father.
    They were being comforted by relatives at a home in Batehaven as rescue workers continued to look for his brother Sam's body.
    Acting Inspector David Silversides said the 47-year-old is believed to have drowned and divers are focused on the Three Islands Reef area.
    Ports Minister Duncan Gay said none of the occupants on the 5m boat were wearing a lifejacket.
    "The challenge is to make people understand accidents can and do happen, and it's essential to wear a lifejacket as a precaution, because when trouble strikes it's generally too late to try to put it on," Mr Gay said.
    "A lifejacket will not save your life unless you wear it."
    Insp Silversides said: "Particularly with children under 12 years of age they must have a life jacket on.
    "Obviously weather conditions will dictate whether lifejackets are worn by adults but we would suggest as best practice that all people on vessels are wearing a life jacket."
    Police said the sisters were holidaying at the home of their grandparents, who retired and moved from Griffith to Batemans Bay.
    Rescue workers said weather conditions were mild when the group set out but had deteriorated as the day progressed.
    About 2pm, two fishermen saw the young girl clinging to the hull of the boat near an area known as Yellow Rock and called the police.
    A short time later, the bodies of the 10-year-old girl, Mr Sgroi, 73, and his wife, 66, were recovered.
    Strong winds and high seas hampered the search for the remaining victim.
    The search resumed at first light today and will again involve water police from Eden, the police airwing, Polair, four marine rescue vessels, surf lifesaving IRBs and a jet ski. Police divers are also now involved.

An investigation will be conducted into the circumstances surrounding the incident and a report will be prepared for the Coroner.
    Cheers Axl

Re: Sad news but life jackets are a must

Very sad news indeed, condolences to the family and relatives.

Too many beleive, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME,
    Yet reallity is, IT DOES!

My condolences to the family.

Accidents are a fact of life. I hope this doesn't lead to further legislation though.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

yep, sad news ............ and yep, there'll be more lifejacket legislation before long for sure

I watched a similar thing take place last chrissy about 10 clicks north of B/ Bay, a Haines runabout find itself in trouble thankfully on that occasion no one lost there life and all the safety equipment was within easy reach when it was most needed.

Sad accident indeed.

I hope no more jacket rules just be mindful that these items need to be accessible in the blink of an eye.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Yes. A very sad outcome from something that may well have been preventable.

Please learn the local weather patterns and things to look for and make sensible decisions based upon those observations.
    Always err on the side of caution.

I just hope authorities will realise that even if the occupants had life-jackets on it would not have guaranteed their survival. Better observations and knowledge may well have guaranteed their survival.

On a personal note: I saw the weather conditions on the telly and I would have made all persons on board don a jacket if we were, by some chance, stuck out in it. They were not pleasant conditions.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Agreed Finga, the telly shots looked quite bad. There was one short interview early on with another boatie who was saying that when the incident occurred that there was nothing worrying about the conditions at the time
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.