Thread: Electronic user manuals.yes or no

Electronic user manuals.yes or no

I must be getting old.
    I refuse to take my laptop to bed to read a user manual of my latest acquisition.
    Why is it that a manufacturer who sells something for $500 or more(sometimes a lot more)can afford to put their product in a nicely packaged box with lots of colour pics on the outside but cant bloody well afford to print a user manual for $0.50 - $1.
    This is a common occurrence for me.whether its a GPS or maybe a sounder,or as has happened today with the receipt of my new video camera($600).They give you a brief starter manual showing basic functions but in the text they actually say if you want a more detailed manual then you can bloody well download it yourself.
    Well,I like to lie in bed and read a bit each night,so decided to download all of the 134 pages-all good so far-decision made-load up the printer and away we go,first problem-paper jam,of course this doesnt occur when youre in attendance,but jammed up whilst I was in the shed replacing a couple of eyes on my favourite rod anticipating that all was OK,and my command to print was being carried out without argument,I should have known better-this is a computer after all-anyway free the jam and start the print off again after wasting an hour.
    No more hastles with the printing-but now I have 134 loose pages all in reverse order of course,so put these in the correct order ready to take a staple from my giant stapler and found that even though these staples are something like 20mm long,they still wouldnt go all the way through 134 pages-so split the epistle in two and treat it as two books.
    Anyhow finally got it done and can now read it at my leisure and make pencilled notes on a page if I bloody well want to.
    My preference for the printed page obviously puts me in the minority here as book store go broke because people are going over to E books,and manufacturers are no longer producing user manuals.
    Am I on my own here or do others out there feel the same.
    I wont be holding my breath,but I am hopeful of getting some sort of response to the letter Im about to send on the subject to Mr JVC,yeah right good luck with that.

Re: Electronic user manuals.yes or no

Mate. Your not on your Pat Malone there.

I prefer paper too.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

That's why iPads are so great storing manual etc i have not used my laptop for over 6 months since owning one.

I'm with you Albey, anything to save a bloody buck.

Mate i totally agree and it's got nothing to do with age.I'm in my early thirtys and i would take the paper copy over any cd rom or electronic manual of any kind.It's not very practical to take the computer out in the field to sort out teething problems.