Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballina Seals

Ballina Seals

Hi again fisherpersons,
    I went down to the Ballina bar yesterday afternoon for a fish before dark and got to my spot on the end of the wall.
    Huge sea running at the moment, I was surprised that there wasn't someone in a boat trying to cross the bar.

Anyway, I was there for ten minutes casting away with my lures when I noticed a dark shape in the water chasing baitfish and my first thought was , oh great , the sharks are back!
    Next thing a black seal about 1.2m long sticks its head up and looks around and dives again.
    Brilliant!! I dont recall having ever seen a seal on this bar.
    It came up again and I sat there watching it and noticed another black shape 50m upriver and another seal pops up for a quick look and dives again.

At this point I was over fishing for jew and was just wondering what the bag limit on seals is

Didnt get much in the way of fish but enjoyable watching the two seals do their thing.

Cheers, steve.

Re: Ballina Seals

We had a couple of injured ones in the Kalang/Bellinger River systems this year as well. Is it, Global warming, they come down from the North Pole.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Had a big argument with a juvenile seal yesterday. Fishing from the local pier for squid the seal was having heaps of fun stealing the baits and scaring everything away. The lady beside me got a huge squid on and just as I was about to net it along came the seal. She tried but the seal won. It was fun to watch but the lady was not impressed. Dinner gone.

Still no jew down there rabbi? Saw a seal at orchid beach ,fraser island a couple of weeks ago! Ben

Oh great.......
    salmon, jackets........and now seals.

Anyone know how a seal goes on the barbie?

Muzz

All those eskimos cant be wrong........

white sharks like em

Muzz

Many years ago fishing south wall of ballina(about this time of year) was spinning metal Toby lures for tailor. Saw a weird black shape greyhounding behind the lure. Anyway hooks it up, bizarre fight and lands a healthy fairy penguin!!! Cranky little bugger hooked in the flipper. Never seen a seal that far north. Seen quite a few fishing coffs harbor over the years( winter time only)

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Oh great.......
    salmon, jackets........and now seals.

Anyone know how a seal goes on the barbie?

Muzz
    I would imagine it would go something like this

http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/...soundnine.aiff

Cheers
    i want a bigger boat

Call Sign "In-Vince-able" VHF 72

Nice to see, lets hope it is a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

Was down Balina way a few times in recent months and while fishing on the wall had a chat to an old reg, he said ''in the day'' when the Jewies were about there would be 20 fishos on the wall and most of them would be hooked up.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Nice to see, lets hope it is a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

Was down Balina way a few times in recent months and while fishing on the wall had a chat to an old reg, he said ''in the day'' when the Jewies were about there would be 20 fishos on the wall and most of them would be hooked up.

Cheers
    Healthy, dont know. It takes a long time for the river to clear after a flood but the bar has its moments.

Not much moving around with the jew at the moment and most of the year, but back in its day you had to put your lure on while hiding behind a rock.

Hey muzz, apparently they taste like chicken but doesnt everything?
    Yep, salmon, seals and soon, sharks.,
    They are a bit like dolphins and avoid the lures well.
    Good to see something swimming around anyway.
    cheers, steve.

one of my mates saw one on the bar down there 2 sundays ago suprised it has not moved on by now anyone remember the one at gladstone in july last year http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...dstone-waters/

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Healthy, dont know. It takes a long time for the river to clear after a flood but the bar has its moments.

Not much moving around with the jew at the moment and most of the year, but back in its day you had to put your lure on while hiding behind a rock.

Hey muzz, apparently they taste like chicken but doesnt everything?
    Yep, salmon, seals and soon, sharks.,
    They are a bit like dolphins and avoid the lures well.
    Good to see something swimming around anyway.
    cheers, steve.
    Was a lot of acid sulphate soil down that way, Tuckimobil swamp leakin pure acid into the system.
    It is still there, they just let it out a little at a time.

cheers

Saw one Saturday afternoon off Mooloolaba. He has been reported to the authorities a few times in recent weeks.

Hi Steve,
    There was an injured seal on the walls of the Brunswick River about 4 weeks ago.
    I think Seaworld came down and took him back for repair.
    Dave
    Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels

Must be a few around then.
    Shoulda sent it to Onerabbit as he loves the critters, apparently

Probly not a good time to go swimming then
    cheers.