Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalems a bad influence ( jigheads )

Scalems a bad influence ( jigheads )

Some of you might know that Scalem has been making his own jigheads for a while now, everytime i go to his place hes showing me new jigheads hes made and i finally decided a few weeks ago that i might start making some myself for a bit of fun and to save some cash. Well over $400 later and im finally making a few of my own, i got a do-it mold that makes 2.5, 3 and 4oz jigheads for deep water soft plastics.Other things i had to purchase were jig hooks, gas bottle, 2 ring burner, saucepan, ladle, file, side cutters, gloves, $60 gas mask and a few other bits and pieces. Havent decided if ill sell any yet to recoup some of the set-up costs.

Thanks to Barry (dayoo) for getting the mold and hooks for me and giving me a few hints and tips for making jigheads.

Anyway here is a couple of pics of my 1st try at making jigheads

cheers tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Scalems a bad influence ( jigheads )

You'll recoup the money buy not buying jigheads from tackle stores anymore.

Nice work. You only need 50 or so jigheads to cover your costs. A bit of glow powder paint will make them lethal for those deepwater targets
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Nice work TimD, had the pleasure to meet Barry (DAyoo) on the weekend of last and that guy is a wealth of knowledge and I would have to agree with Horse, go that extra and powder coat them.

Barry is a wealth of knowledge. Even got me thinking should i produce my own?

TIM D - So does this means i get free jigheads . I want 10 of each size for the boat please .

$400 is a big outlay but it's worth it in the end. But in reality nothing beats B.A.I.T

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    Some of you might know that Scalem has been making his own jigheads for a while now, everytime i go to his place hes showing me new jigheads hes made and i finally decided a few weeks ago that i might start making some myself for a bit of fun and to save some cash. Well over $400 later and im finally making a few of my own, i got a do-it mold that makes 2.5, 3 and 4oz jigheads for deep water soft plastics.Other things i had to purchase were jig hooks, gas bottle, 2 ring burner, saucepan, ladle, file, side cutters, gloves, $60 gas mask and a few other bits and pieces. Havent decided if ill sell any yet to recoup some of the set-up costs.

Thanks to Barry (dayoo) for getting the mold and hooks for me and giving me a few hints and tips for making jigheads.

Anyway here is a couple of pics of my 1st try at making jigheads

cheers tim
    Love those few words together..sure got a chuckle.

How do you hold bait on those things?

Can anyone prove that a glow jighead will outfish a normal jighead

Most of the plastics i use are glow anyway so im not sure it would make a huge difference, glad to be proven wrong though.

cheers tim

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Nice work. You only need 50 or so jigheads to cover your costs. A bit of glow powder paint will make them lethal for those deepwater targets
    Just ask neil about the best way to apply the paint...

I knocked up a few hundred jig heads last saturday arvo. I have a fair selection of molds now and getting good results from the jigs I make.
    Have not bought a jig head in about 3 years now. Gone through thousands tho.

I buy the hooks by the thousand these days and save a shitload of bucks.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Just ask neil about the best way to apply the paint...
    I should have dropped them on your foot
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I should have dropped them on your foot
    Woulda been hard, they were melted to the oven

They look pretty nice.

Does anyone make and sell 1/4 oz and 1/6 oz?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    They look pretty nice.

cheers

I'm sure Scalem or dayoo could help you with these sizes

cheers tim

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    They look pretty nice.

cheers
    I have a few different styles of jigheads in the sizes you mention.
    They are available nude or pimped up with powder paint in about 15 different colours

Cheers
    Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holidaying in Tas and at coles bay right now. Crackberry doesn't work well at all and this is the 4th attempt. Stupid thing! Tim I will help you to make sure your investment pays for itself. Others who want Jigheads Dayoo is the man who has recently bought the new walley pictured, I think they look the ducks nuts. Between Barry and I I think we have the range covered but interesting to see others making their own too, some in a big way! Talk further when I get back Tim

Brian