Thread: Radar JRC FURUNO etc

Radar JRC FURUNO etc

Would like some feed back on radar units, looking at maybe JRC 1000. Any advice on this unit or any other greatly appreciated.

Re: Radar JRC FURUNO etc

Haven't used that model and am not familiar with it, but as a general comment I'd go Furuno over JRC any day. We have JRC equipment and RADAR on the ship I'm on at the moment and just about everyone that uses them hates them. Picture quality is poor and I find both units hard to get good definition on them, also difficult to operate and generally not user friendly. The newer models may be better. We use the JRC Radars JMA-2300 & JMA 3900 which are only 6 years old and compared to the Furunos I've used (even ones 20 years older), seem very much dated. Have used a few Raymarine units on smaller boats which I've found to be very good.

Regards Richo

Thanks Richo
    Have been doing a lot of research since putting up post and also agree with you, looks like FURUNO 1623

Not really up to speed with this or (similar) models, but knowthere are a few different variants of the 1623, probably only involvingdifferent spec Raydomes, but this can vary the price a lot. There are many questions to ask oneself(standalone, new GPS combo unit, new HD technology, raydome spec etc), but itsounds like you are doing your research anyway.

Have been using Furuno gear for 30+ years, my old man a lotmore, and it is very good & reliable stuff. Having said that, many other brands now offer RADAR and are reportedly verygood too. Installed a stand-alone FurunoRADAR 23 yrs ago (CRT screen technology) and have been sold on RADAR ever since. (This unit is still working BTW too!!). Have Furuno gear currently and will have onnext boat too.
    Don’t discount the benefits of RADAR/GPS Overlay, very very usefulat times, but adds some $’s. Not sureyou can have this capability with stand-alone units though.
    Good luck!

Brendon