Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I , and or can I back up sd mapping card

Should I , and or can I back up sd mapping card

I have a navtronics aust map card for my hds unit should I be backing it up to another card or computer , if so how would I do this.... Many thanks in advance

Re: Should I , and or can I back up sd mapping card

Hi Surfnfish

I have been informed that you can not back this card up there is also a few post on here about cards getting deleted when you try and back them up not sure how true that is as i did not take the chance. And i didn't think that you can actually make a sd card delete itself if you do try and copy it??

hI SURFINFISH mate check this out it seems you can copy a NAV CARD ,THOUGH THEY ONLY TALK ABOUT HOW TO COPY A PLATINUM CARD ,NOT SURE BOUT A GOLD CARD,BUT THE COPY MUST STAY ON YOUR PC,NOT SURE WHAT HAPENS IF THE ORIGINAL STUFFS UP BUT .HOPE THIS HELPS.CHEERS ROB.I have just sent navionics an email .ill let you know when i get a reply

How to Copy Navionics Marine Charts

By Eric Cedric, eHow Contributor updated May 26, 2011

Copy Navionics Marine Charts Flag this photo

Navionics makes a series of electronic nautical charts for almost every region on the globe. Entire regions of charts are compressed onto AD, CF or Microdrive cards to be used with your navigation device. These charts are compatible with Mac and PC interfaces, and the Platinum series allows you to copy the chart to transfer between systems and navigation devices. Navionics does not allow copying for mass distribution; it allows the copying between personal computers and your boat's electronic marine devices.

Difficulty: Moderate Instructions

Things You'll Need

• Computer and printer
    • SD card reader with USB cable
    • Navionics Platinum NavPlanner Maps on SD
    Suggest Edits

• 1 Insert the USB plug from the SD card reader into the USB port on your PC. Insert the Navionics Platinum NavPlanner SD card into the reader and turn the computer on.

• 2 Open the SD card contents and select the chart you wish to copy to the computer and then to your navigation device. Follow the menu prompts and select "Export." Allow the data transfer to take place to your computer's hard drive.

• 3 Find the copy of the chart transferred to your computer, using your finder. Open the chart in your computer's chart or navigation software.

Ads by Google

Tips & Warnings

• An electronic chart should be in addition to paper charts. Do not rely on the electronic chart for your only source of navigation information.

• Copies made cannot be transferred to another SD, CF or microSD card. Copies must remain on your comput
    Shut up and fish

I killed a Navionics Gold card recently somehow, I suspect i got the data and mapping SD cards mixed up for transferring waypoints and routes from the puter to the sounder and placed the mapping card into the puter. I removed it a minute later to double check before I loaded points and saw it was the wrong card and did the swap. I did not move anything to or from the card with the puter, but since then the card has not initialised. Sent it to Lowrance and they said it has been used in a computer and can't be used again. I said it did not transfer any data and was simply put in the reader and removed. They said that is enough to void the card. Cost me $280 for a new card.
    Worst part was it was not my card, was my Son-in-laws, and I was giving him a heap of my marks........so much for being mr good dad.
    Jack.

Hi Rob, THIS IS HOT OF THE PRESS LOL

Unfortunately, there is no way to backup your Navionics card, due to the security tag inside the card.
    If there was no protection against copying we would struggle to have any business.
    I have never heard of being able to backup onto a PC, but I recommend you do not try and do this as it can result in your card being wiped or corrupted, both of which would void your warranty.

Regards,

Patrick Long
    Customer Service & Sales
    (02)9816 7150
    Compass Business Park
    Unit 202, 27 Mars Road
    Lane Cove West NSW 2066
    Shut up and fish

Just placing it in the slot on your PC is enough to corrupt / wipe the card as I found out. I did not even try to see what was on the card either.
    Jack.

Wow thats fullon hey Jack , its a bugger of a way to find out though. Im not sure how some blokes have been lucky enough to pull it off .But i sure as hell know i wont even be puting it anywere near the SD slot .
    Cheers Rob
    Shut up and fish

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Just placing it in the slot on your PC is enough to corrupt / wipe the card as I found out. I did not even try to see what was on the card either.
    I tried to read mine on my pc and it still works fine.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Thanks for the replys I think I will not try to back it up .... Glad I checked first .....

Isn't it funny how we try to install something or put something together and when it doesn't quite go our way it's then we decide to read the instructions ..... I just looked on the navtronics gold card box and a big warning! YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CHART DATA! By inserting it into a pc or card reader attempting to back it up..... Maybe they should have a picture of a hot girl next to all instructions and warnings (more chance of us noticing them) lol

The crap about putting in your PC and wiping it is bullshit. The reader uses the same low level functions to read the card as any reader would, the only difference being that the navionics card reader can read the serial number of the SD card, and the map is encrypted using that serial number. You can copy the map files of the card no problem and back them up (i have done it) but you cant copy them to another card.

Tunaticer, do you still have the old card that was damaged?

Andy is correct.

No Andy, they did not return it from that Lowrance mob in aus after they said it was rooted.

Might be onsold by now as a refurbished card maybe?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    No Andy, they did not return it from that Lowrance mob in aus after they said it was rooted.

Might be onsold by now as a refurbished card maybe?
    Unlikely. SD cards a cheap. It may have been possible to recover it.

I will try and explain this as best I can. It may not be 100% technically correct to keep it simple.

When any memory device is inserted into a computer or card reader the first thing the computer/reader does is immediately prepare the card for reading/writing. It does this by accessing a specific area of memory on the card. In the protected mapping cards this area of memory holds the index to reading/decrypting the rest of the data.

As soon as a computer accesses that area of memory the existing data in it is altered - even if you don't actually try to read/write to the card the computer prepares it to do so and this act of preparation is what wrecks access to the rest of the card (since the index/key is now different). In devices that are designed to read the card without damaging it, they do not access this area of memory like a computer or ordinary card reader does.

Most card readers have internal microprocessors that do the read/write prep thing to make it easier to use memory cards in a variety of devices. The microprocessor in the reader manages the card and tells the attached device (say, via USB) the card is ready for use. Embedded systems (like plotters) connect their own microprocessor direct to the memory card and thus they directly read/write only to the bits of card memory they need and never try to "open it" for general read/write use.

So, simply plugging the mapping card into a computer, card reader, camera, whatever will wreck it. For those who have successfully done it those cards were possibly counterfeit to begin with as there were some workarounds (but I wouldn't rely on them still working).

PS: The read only switch on the card, if fitted, won't stop the card from being damaged.
    Sometimes its better to look like an idiot than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.