Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I , and or can I back up sd mapping card

Re: Should I , and or can I back up sd mapping card

Not a Navionics card, but I managed to backup my Garmin G2 Vision card without any problems. Not only does it work on my PC but I put a copy of the map on a new SD card and it works fine in my GPSMap 4010. Have the backup card stored in my boat just in case the original card fails while at sea.

Last week I plugged my Navionics card into my computer (using XP windows) and downloaded the maps onto my computer, then copied to another SD card. The original Navionics card still works fine in my GPS, it has not been destroyed, however the GPS unit will not recognize the copied SD card. Maybe there is a hidden file on the original card which acts as a copy protection device , or maybe it is a serial number issue. If the latter is the case, then one wonders if it is possible to change the serial number of an SD card ??

Quote Originally Posted by SnapHead101 View Post
    Last week I plugged my Navionics card into my computer (using XP windows) and downloaded the maps onto my computer, then copied to another SD card. The original Navionics card still works fine in my GPS, it has not been destroyed, however the GPS unit will not recognize the copied SD card. Maybe there is a hidden file on the original card which acts as a copy protection device , or maybe it is a serial number issue. If the latter is the case, then one wonders if it is possible to change the serial number of an SD card ??
    The map is encrypted. The key is the serial number. Its not possible to alter the serial number as its set at the time of manufacture.