Thread: Transfering Waypoints from Computer to Garmin GPS

Transfering Waypoints from Computer to Garmin GPS

I have recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 551 and have all my waypoints written down in a notebook from my previous gps. Instead of sitting in the boat and going through and punching them all into the new unit is there a program whereby i am able to do it from my computer and then transfer them via the SD card?

Had a bit of a look on the net and the garmin website but can't seem to find anything to help me out.

Regards,

Lachie

Re: Transfering Waypoints from Computer to Garmin GPS

G'day Lachie I have the Garmin 451s. I use Garmanin homeport that you can buy on line. Enter your waypoints through that program, save them to the SD card and then transfer to the GPS unit.

Cheers
    Vince.
    i want a bigger boat

Call Sign "In-Vince-able" VHF 72

Lachie1, try gpsu.co.uk download the gpsu program. I have used it for years to transfer and convert marks. It does most of the garmin format stuff. Freeware will do 100 way-points. if you like it register it and you can do many thousands. You can type in your waypoints directly and then save to SD card or what ever transfer method your GPS uses.
    Cheers Mike

Does anyone know if i use mapsource if i can also do this?

Quote Originally Posted by beardedone View Post
    Lachie1, try gpsu.co.uk download the gpsu program. I have used it for years to transfer and convert marks. It does most of the garmin format stuff. Freeware will do 100 way-points. if you like it register it and you can do many thousands. You can type in your waypoints directly and then save to SD card or what ever transfer method your GPS uses.
    Cheers Mike
    Had 100's of marks on my PC in CMAPECS and couldn't find anything to export them. Sent an email to Alan Murphy (GPSU Author in the UK) and he modified the GPSU code to export all my marks into a format that my Garmin would recognise. The man is a legend!! Saved me many hours of typing..
    Highly recommended!!

Have mapsource and haven't had any probs transfering to any garmin products

Thanks alot stu. Do you just save the waypoints to a sd card and and put that in the gps?

Mapsource will set the correct format for the file transfer to your Garmin, a quick painless job it is.
    Entering the waypoints into the program can be tedious depending on the number of points you wish to transfer.
    Jack.

exzacry tuna I have cracked version of map source I can register any product to it and either connect by cable or write to card and you are right it can be painfull entering way points to map source but if they are in the right format you can cut and paste

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Dows View Post
    exzacry tuna I have cracked version of map source I can register any product to it and either connect by cable or write to card and you are right it can be painfull entering way points to map source but if they are in the right format you can cut and paste
    True Stu, but if you have them scribbled on scraps of paper like lots of guys do when they acquire them off mates etc, it sure is a brain deadening experience. Last year I compiled about 2000 marks I have collected, some from mates, some from my old charts, some from printouts from a dead machine that didn't have capability to hook to a puter, and got them all onto Mapsource. Amazes me how many different names there are for some pieces of rock or sunken vessel.
    Jack.