Thread: cheap camper trailers

cheap camper trailers

does anyone have knowledge about the cheap 4 x4 camper trailers on e-bay,they say make in australia but most look the same ,like made imported from china
    thanks dave

Re: cheap camper trailers

They are imported trailers and imported tents 'assembled' in Australia. That said generally they are not too bad for what you pay. They seem to need a bit of strengthening and customization by the purchaser.

Look in my swag classifieds and other classifieds. You may find something of quality already fitted out with some accessories at a decent price. I have seen a couple of cheapo's and cheap zips and crap midge screens , low qulity canvas etc would just be a pain. They may have got better as they was a couple of years ago. A lot were just zincalume and bolted together or gal panels not a propper hot dipped gal trailer and were very light.

As another thought there is a lot of companies now renting them so that may work out cheaper and less hassle if you only do a couple of trips and see if the family like it.

A slide on , tray on style if you already have a ute can be a lot less hassle for storage and you can still tow the boat.

Dave

Having just bought a CT, I would advise hiring one first to get an idea of what you like and don't like, then going to a caravan and camping type show where there will be a few manufacturers/sellers there. We found this to be very helpful as you can see the big build differences and material quality. Some of the chinese ones were ok (sort of) and others wouldn't be safe to take out of your driveway. Some are welded, others bolted and other riveted, so you need to have a really good look at them first hand. Have a look at the neg/neutral feedback on some of the ebay ones to give you and hint at quality and the seller. Also get onto the mysway forum for info there.

We ended up buying a second hand Aussie stainless steel one for around the same/less price than a new cheapy chinese one.

Steve

My mate works up NQ in a mine as a boiler maker. In one month they had three of the same camper trailer come in with the same problem. They ended up compleately rebuilding all three of em after talking to the owner's and explaining why they got em so cheap. Apparently a high stress point in the chassis was made of 1mm sh@t. Like anything do your home work.
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

hi maru, we have had a good locally built off road 7x4 box trailer for years and wifey has recently bought an oztrail camper 12 top for it. cost was $1100 for a brand new camper top off ebay, $20 for a second hand 2 drawer filing cabinet for cutlery/crockery off ebay and maybe $50 of steel/ply/lift off gate hinges to weld up a swing out kitchen. it's given us a good camper on a quality local trailer for fark all dollars and we've made it all removeable so i can still use the trailer for dump runs and motorbikes etc. all the camping stuff gets chucked in the shed when not in use. if you're pretty handy it's very easy/cheap to do and there's usually a few second hand good quality box trailers about.

Hey Paddles

Can you post some pics. Bill and I are seriously thinking Camper Trailer and wouldn't mind some ideas.

ronnie

Check out castle campers.
    I have one & love it!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

hi ronnie, i'll try to post some piccies up over the weekend