Thread: NMEA 2000 Question

NMEA 2000 Question

I would like to put a Fuel sensor in the new boat and I have been looking at what is required. It will be hooked up to my Lowrance HDS-5 or 7 (havent decided yet) and I have found a place that sells the gear. The engine will be a 2 stroke 115h/p Yamaha so there is no ECU to hook a NMEA Engine Interface cable to so the fuel sensor is the next best thing.

I am of the understanding that all I need is a starter kit and a fuel sensor kit and I will be all good however I have also found what is caled a power node so now I am confused.

Do I need the starter kit and the fuel sensor? or do I need starter kit, fuel sensor and the power node?

What has me confused is the starter kit already has a power cable and 2 tee's so I am assuming that one tee is for power and the other will be a spare as the fuel sensor also comes with a tee.

Below is what comes with each of the NMEA products and pics of them and as you can see the power node is alot dearer than the starter kit.

Lowrance EP-60R Fuel Flow Sensor w/- 10ft (3m) Cable & T Connector (000-0120-39)
    Online Price: $145.00 (including 10 % GST tax)
    Lowrance EP-60R Fuel Flow Sensor w/- 10ft (3m) Cable & T Connector (000-0120-39) our price
    Sensor.jpg
    Lowrance NMEA 2000 Starter Kit (000-0124-69)Online Price: $69.00 (including 10 % GST tax)NMEA 2000 Starter Kit - Backbone required to install one or more NMEA 2000 Sensors with any HDS install; includes power cable, 2ft (0.6m) cable, 15ft (4.5m) cable, 2 x T-connector, network terminators.
    start kit.jpg
    Lowrance N2K-PWR-RD -NMEA 2000 Power Node (000-0119-75)Online Price: $140.00 (including 10 % GST tax)
    N2K-PWR-RD-NMEA 2000 power node (cable + T connector); to upgrade LMS/LCX/GlobalMap series network to HDS system.
    Power node.gif
    Cheers Axl

Re: NMEA 2000 Question

The Power Node will simply power the NMEA system, the NMEA starter kits has the power node + aditional fittings... so you only need the starter kit and the EP60R
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    The Power Node will simply power the NMEA system, the NMEA starter kits has the power node + aditional fittings... so you only need the starter kit and the EP60R
    Thanks Spaniard_King makes me wonder why the power node is so expensive though!! when you buy a starter kit you get one as well as the other fittings and it is cheaper.
    Cheers Axl

Yes, the starter kit is so much cheaper than buying the individual parts that it is ridiculous. I needed some extra cables for my setup and it was cheaper to buy a second starter kit!

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Why don't you just hook both your hds 5 & 7 to the nmea bus they will share info then.