Thread: I have some concrete shoes for crab pot thieves

I have some concrete shoes for crab pot thieves

last week i purchased 8 brand new blue pro pots off a maker for $400 on sunday morning i went out to one of my favorite muddies spots to try and find a muddy or two, i took my new next door neighbour who had never been before and we headed over to this muddy little bay on the redlands foreshore its relatively quiet from boat traffic as its high and dry on low tide, set the 8 pots for an over night soak... this morning went out in beautiful weather.... all 8 pots GONE, now its to far to walk out and get them so they werent stolen by walkers, its to shallow for big boats so its not them, who would be so game to take 8 pots and fit them in there small boat right in view of houses or other boats? these houses arent close nore are many boats so they wouldnt have seen the floats or me setting them but surely these people have to worry the owner might see you mucking around in this area. I must say the water around my boat was boiling i was not happy why do people think stealing a pot is different to stealing something out of someone's yard i just cant believe all 8 flogged.

So heres my plan of attack and to anyone who reads this and steals pots beware (hopefully your all honest) i've placed a wireless motion sensing camera in a log near a spot right where i crab in this spot ill be placing a well marked pot, this camera is 12 meg can store 100's of videos, I will get your rego, this info and footage will be passed to some good friends in the qps and i will get my pots back, i think things have gone to far i talk to too many people with the same problem and someone has to do something.
    I DONT CHECK OR STEAL YOUR POTS SO DONT TOUCH WHATS NOT YOURS!

Re: I have some concrete shoes for crab pot thieves

It's a scumbag act to do, and while I haven't had any stolen yet, I know lots who have. I sit on mine and NEVER leave them overnight. I fish in a tight area where there is always a few pots around, and while I have sometimes had the float/rope against my outboard etc, I'd never pick one up to check. The only time I've ever picked one up has my hook in it's rope. (didnt' take anything obviously)

I know of one person who has shot holes in the bottom of peoples boats for doing such things to his pots. Not to mention knocked a few others out as well.. (Not to be messed with!!) lol

GL with the camera.

bad luck mate,i think this will only get worse in the comming weeks with the crabs running.doesn't seem to matter where u crab these days as the thieves are about..i work on these days if i get 4 out of 8 pots not checked ive had a good overnite soak.but must say i normally loose atleast 1 pot a fortnite.good luck with the camera mate

this is why i crab by hand rosco haha i can only lose fingers through my own stupidity

yeah mate u can have that to yourself.

Got a question about the cam. Can you tell me if it is a hunting cam or whatever. I keep looking at the ones that SMS you when triggered as I'd love to see em caught red handed at return to the ramp.

Hope you have secretly marked the pots in several ways to ensure a conviction. Fisheries did the same and put crabs in with ID in them to get teh sharefarmers who redrop the pot bu keep the crab so they could get convictions . Wish they would do it more often

B denice to put a tracker on their boat and see just how much tehy do it and if they are selling gear?

Justjack bad luck mate ,but you will get the scumbags ,with your cam setup what goes around comes around ,wont be long now
    I know a guy down south that set up a cam on his mexican Tomato patch in his back yard,he got em lol.
    Scum bag pot thieves ,I use to male my own up in the N.T. with weld mesh and wire twitched together,not much to look at but they did the trick.I was crabing up this creek so tinnie near Darwin once, you drive in forwards and reverse out when i got in there i saw 6 other pots ,thats ok ill go up further away from him and he wont even know im in here.I set mine and backed out to the main river ,just hung a couple of hundred yards from the entrance to were my pots were .I had been casting bout an hour or so moving round a bit getting closer to the mouth of the tiny creek.Then this half cabin came zooming down the river towards me ,gave me a dirty look then shot up the tiny creek .after a half hour i thought they have had enough time up there so i cruized in around a few corners went past were they had there pots.Heading towards my spot i came round the corner to just catch a glimpse of the scum dropping my pot.FVVVVVVVVVVVV OYYYYYYYYYYYY W.T Hmmm 3 of them 1 of me in a tinnie i dont want to go for a swim .
    they just cruized of up further .bloody dogs as you can imagine not 1 crab for the first 5 pots but i had 5 that i stashed and they didnt find them so i still got a feed .The bloody nerve of some people.
    Cheers Rob
    Shut up and fish

Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post
    last week i purchased 8 brand new blue pro pots off a maker for $400 on sunday morning i went out to one of my favorite muddies spots to try and find a muddy or two, i took my new next door neighbour who had never been before and we headed over to this muddy little bay on the redlands foreshore its relatively quiet from boat traffic as its high and dry on low tide, set the 8 pots for an over night soak... this morning went out in beautiful weather.... all 8 pots GONE, now its to far to walk out and get them so they werent stolen by walkers, its to shallow for big boats so its not them, who would be so game to take 8 pots and fit them in there small boat right in view of houses or other boats? these houses arent close nore are many boats so they wouldnt have seen the floats or me setting them but surely these people have to worry the owner might see you mucking around in this area. I must say the water around my boat was boiling i was not happy why do people think stealing a pot is different to stealing something out of someone's yard i just cant believe all 8 flogged.

So heres my plan of attack and to anyone who reads this and steals pots beware (hopefully your all honest) i've placed a wireless motion sensing camera in a log near a spot right where i crab in this spot ill be placing a well marked pot, this camera is 12 meg can store 100's of videos, I will get your rego, this info and footage will be passed to some good friends in the qps and i will get my pots back, i think things have gone to far i talk to too many people with the same problem and someone has to do something.
    sucks that your pots got stolen.. just not sure why you would post this. now he'd take your pots and your new camera..

i post this as this in its self is a deterant he wont find my camera its to well hidden i already have 1 good video of some kids checking the pot so i know it works... someone will slip up soon

You go get them JJ. 400 bucks is a lot of money. I can't fathom the mentality of these people.

I thought of a deterrent for some thieves.
    Use a dremel & engrave your surname + town you reside in on the pvc uprights of your crab pot.

This is permanent.
    Not like a tag on the pot which can be easily removed.
    They cannot sell them easily & anyone that goes crabbing with the pot thief knows they are thieving bastards !

Another idea is to paint your floats on the pots eg black spots or orange spots.
    This making them easily identifiable when fishing close to them as some cheeky bastards try to check them right under your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post

If there are big tides you need to weigh your pots down with something.